art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 05-03-2014, 05:20 AM
Youngling

Crumb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Favorite and Most Hated

I'm new here but I'm just curious who everyone's favorite character is, and who they hated the most of the entire series. I despised Egwene because I felt like she was becoming just what she hated. She was turning the White Tower into a force of power hunger and built on the backs of others just like the Seanchan (part of me always hoped Egwene's armies and the Seanchan would take each other out). Lan and Moiraine were my favorite characters. Lan was an ultimate good guy from beginning to end and I think Moiraine grew the most of any character save maybe Rand, throughout the series.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:16 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

These kind of threads almost inevitably turn into Egwene-bashing, which then leads to Egwene-arguments when her fans come out to defend her. Thankfully, we have a quarantine for that.

That said, my favourite was Egwene and my most hated was Valan Luca.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Egwene was my favorite to read about. Most despised was probably either Luca or Sevanna. Both of them bored me to tears.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

I think in the context of the discussion, he wants us to keep to the main characters.

I think my favorite character was Min. My most hated was Nyegwelaynda. Because these four characters felt to me like an amorphous blob of anti-feminist stereotypes and not four distinct people.
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.

Last edited by Seeker; 05-03-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Youngling

Crumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Nynaeve I liked, Elayne I could take her or leave her, sometimes she was great other times not so much, Aviendha I thought was kind of a tough warrior, I didn't really see them as anti feminist. I also thought Taim was a good bad guy, ya loved to hate him.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Favorite? Mat. He brought a sense of humor to the series (intentional or not), and almost always a pleasure to read. The Sanderson Mat was different, but was still alright. Lan is a close second. Lost pretty much everything before he could walk and always felt his fate was to eventually ride into the Blight swinging his sword. But he never shirked from helping those closest to him and even headed straight for Damodred with his only purpose to kill the Forsaken, even if it cost him his life.

Hated, Egwene/Elaida. Elaida at the beginning seemed imposing and clever and dangerous, but by the time she gets kidnapped, she's stupid, power hungry, and lost all sense (as did most Aes Sedai around her). Egwene, was a haughty character from the get go. Always either trying to prove she's the best or control others, or berating one man or another for helping her when she needed it without her having to ask (that control thing). During the whole White Tower prisoner arc, she benefited from other Aes Sedai catching Elaida's stupidity.

Everyone else I liked to one degree or another, or was neutral too.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
or berating one man or another for helping her when she needed it without her having to ask (that control thing).
Just wanted to point out that many women would do the same in real life too, and they're right to. Helping someone "because they need it" without asking them is condescending.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Elaida at the beginning seemed imposing and clever and dangerous, but by the time she gets kidnapped, she's stupid, power hungry, and lost all sense (as did most Aes Sedai around her).
In Elaida's defense: her sense got eaten by Padan Fain, as also happened to Pedron Niall. Of course, Niall lacked the supposed AS protection against that kind of mental infection, but I suspect that like so many AS ideas, this protection was more superstition than reality.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Just wanted to point out that many women would do the same in real life too, and they're right to. Helping someone "because they need it" without asking them is condescending.

Uh, no it's not... especially if we're thinking about Mat saving their lives.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Uh, no it's not... especially if we're thinking about Mat saving their lives.
No, I was talking about Salidar, where Mar walks in to Egwene's study, says she needs to be saved, and he's going to do the saving, whether she liked it or not.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:16 PM

Oh that. Yeah, Mat was a dick there.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

You realize I meant when it actually needed saving? Tear, when they were captured by Black Ajah, Gawyn saving her from assassins (took nearly dying literally in her arms for her to thank him) and pointing out it might not be channelers attacking Aes Sedai (and getting told off for it), etc.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess that instead of trying to go and help Egwene when she was a damane in Falme, Rand should have petitioned the Seanchan for permission to ask her for permission to try to save her.
And when E,E&N had been captured by those bandits who were going to sell them to the Fades, Aviendha and friends should have waited with their rescue attempt until after they could ask whether or not the three girls actually wanted to be rescued.

Of course, this "don't rescue without permission" rule does not apply to males, so when the Asha'man burst into Taim's "turn Logain party" without asking Logain, that was all right.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Youngling

Quote:
You realize I meant when it actually needed saving? Tear, when they were captured by Black Ajah,
Was that about Mat not asking permission? Or him objecting to their treatment of Amico? Either way, of the three, Egwene get's the least grief from me for this because she was actually heavily injured and just recently Healed, and she made up for it in TSR by revealing what she knew about the Finn Doorway to Mat.
Quote:
Gawyn saving her from assassins (took nearly dying literally in her arms for her to thank him) and pointing out it might not be channelers attacking Aes Sedai (and getting told off for it), etc.
You do realize that IF Gawyn had followed orders and not interrupted, he trap would have caught a Bloodknife and not Gawyn himself, right? Instead of capturing the perpetrator, what she got was Gawyn faffing about some mysterious shadow with a sword after he was embarrassingly caught in her trap while trying to sneak in.

That she didn't believe him at that point and at least consider that there could be two sets of assassins is a point taken from her, but her original insistence that he let her deal with the situation was correct. It would have meant she'd have had a captive bloodknife to question, instead of vague reports from an unreliable source.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

I'm not sure it would be all that easy to catch a Bloodknife. If it had been, then Demandred would've had Gawyn strung up fairly quickly with the OP, instead of wasting time on chopping him to pieces with a sword.
Plus, we're not sure that the Bloodknife that Gawyn saw the first time was the only one skulking around Egwene's bedroom. If there had been two, then the second would still have killed her even if the first one had been caught.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I'm not sure it would be all that easy to catch a Bloodknife. If it had been, then Demandred would've had Gawyn strung up fairly quickly with the OP, instead of wasting time on chopping him to pieces with a sword.
It is pretty well established he wanted to waste time. He found it entertaining to fight with his sword.

The entire point of bloodknives is that they can sneak around and kill channelers before they can defend themselves. There's no hint they're immune to the power.
Quote:
Plus, we're not sure that the Bloodknife that Gawyn saw the first time was the only one skulking around Egwene's bedroom. If there had been two, then the second would still have killed her even if the first one had been caught.
So Egwene would capture one and assume only one was in the Tower??
Old 05-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
It is pretty well established he wanted to waste time. He found it entertaining to fight with his sword.

The entire point of bloodknives is that they can sneak around and kill channelers before they can defend themselves. There's no hint they're immune to the power.

So Egwene would capture one and assume only one was in the Tower??
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that Gawyn was in the wrong, not Egwene. He defied her in the most public way possible because he believed that he knew better than she did, and that as the big strapping man, it was his job to protect her. The whole Gawyn subplot is actually kind of sexist - and this time, Brandon gets the debit for that - because if Egwene had been a male commanding officer, I have no doubt that Gawyn would have followed orders. Even when he learns that he had to respect her authority, the story still plays out as if we're supposed to feel sorry for poor spurned Gawyn who was right all along.

Ask yourself this: if Bryne had given Gawyn instructions, which Gawyn then disobeyed, and the result was a botched military operation, would we still feel sorry for Gawyn?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

Quote:
Even when he learns that he had to respect her authority, the story still plays out as if we're supposed to feel sorry for poor spurned Gawyn who was right all along.
I can't imagine anyone that would be inclined to think that Gawyn was ever right about anything he did. Forget about his obsession with blaming Rand for his mother's rumoured death: What really bugs me is his persistent determination not to do his duty in any way. He was supposed to help his sister, as was his role as First Prince of the Sword, but instead he made himself the leader of a band of shiftless youths with swords and proceeded to hang around with them, getting nothing useful done. Once he tired of that, he rather callously abandoned those boys to their own devices and defected to the other side of the conflict in which they were more or less involved. He eventually becomes Egwene's warder, but doesn't even stick with that role, electing instead to finally go to his sister, when she no longer needed his help. Having returned to Egwene, he still decides to go off on his own in the middle of the Last Battle, and we all know how this went.

His was a career of dereliction of duty and impulsive behavior that did few people much good--himself included.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that Gawyn was in the wrong, not Egwene. He defied her in the most public way possible because he believed that he knew better than she did, and that as the big strapping man, it was his job to protect her. The whole Gawyn subplot is actually kind of sexist - and this time, Brandon gets the debit for that - because if Egwene had been a male commanding officer, I have no doubt that Gawyn would have followed orders. Even when he learns that he had to respect her authority, the story still plays out as if we're supposed to feel sorry for poor spurned Gawyn who was right all along.

Ask yourself this: if Bryne had given Gawyn instructions, which Gawyn then disobeyed, and the result was a botched military operation, would we still feel sorry for Gawyn?
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. And it isn't even the first time he's done this. He helped Siuan do the same thing in tGS, and despite (or maybe because of) Egwene's very mild reaction at that point (Siuan went straight back into being in Egwene's innermost circle), he decided he'd break through boundaries again.

Frankly, I found it very unrealistic that Egwene gave Gawyn any freedom at all during the Last Battle, where he promptly betrayed her trust again, getting himself killed, putting her out of action for a time, and ultimately putting her in a position where she had to kill herself to save the world.

Frankly, I wish Silviana had snuck up on Gawyn at the start of the Last Battle, tied him up, opened a Gateway, and sent him to the Land of Madmen where he belongs.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=Uno;220932]I can't imagine anyone that would be inclined to think that Gawyn was ever right about anything he did. Forget about his obsession with blaming Rand for his mother's rumoured death: What really bugs me is his persistent determination not to do his duty in any way. He was supposed to help his sister, as was his role as First Prince of the Sword, but instead he made himself the leader of a band of shiftless youths with swords and proceeded to hang around with them, getting nothing useful done. Once he tired of that, he rather callously abandoned those boys to their own devices and defected to the other side of the conflict in which they were more or less involved. He eventually becomes Egwene's warder, but doesn't even stick with that role, electing instead to finally go to his sister, when she no longer needed his help. Having returned to Egwene, he still decides to go off on his own in the middle of the Last Battle, and we all know how this went.

His was a career of dereliction of duty and impulsive behavior that did few people much good--himself included.[/q]

Yup, Gawyn sucks. The only reason he didn't get my vote for most hated is that he isn't s main charger l character