art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > Your Fiction
User Name
Password

Old 09-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Youngling

Two Rivers Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Two Rivers Man
Default Fun Post

A rough draft of a short story I wrote for a monthly challenge at another site. You may recognize certain character descriptions.
__________________________________________________ _

Sorry, folks. I've revised the story again and started shopping it around, and this being a public forum, I can't have copies of it available out here. If it gets turned down by all of the places I intend to shop it to, I'll re-post the final, revised version here. But that could be a while considering it takes most e-pub sites several weeks to 3 or 4 months to make decisions.

Last edited by Two Rivers Man; 05-16-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quite good. Makes me wonder what would have happened if Rand had rung the front door bell on the Pit of Doom.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Youngling

Thanks. It needs some work, especially on Sery and Tedy, plus possibly some detail on the "evil one." But . . . it was fun to write.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

In the next installment, when mom appears, will we learn what happened to all the cut down trees?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Youngling

I think Max's dad was planning to build the empty village but the wood nymphs keep stealing the wood.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Are we going to get a wood nymph bathing scene?
If not, then HBO will put one in anyway when they film it, of course.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Are we going to get a wood nymph bathing scene?
If not, then HBO will put one in anyway when they film it, of course.
With HBO involved it's possible 'wood nymph' could have more than one connotation but nothing is set in ... er... wood yet.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Very entertaining
Old 09-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quite entertaining!

Clearly a spoof of WoT and the heroic fantasy genre. A few things though.

Is there a name pun on Maxemum that I don't see? Similar to Tedyus and Seryus. It seems it is but I don't get it.

I didn't find anything that would prepare me to know Maxemus had a brother or that they both are named Max? What's the deal with that?

I also found a you're - your mistake in there

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Youngling

Thanks for the read. I agree it needs some work. I was going for a pun with Max (Eejit = idiot) but I'm going to change that. I only had 3 days until the challenge deadline (write a story that turns a fantasy stereotype on its head) when I got this idea so it was rushed. I had no idea I was going to make 'The One' and 'The Other One' brothers until I did it. The midnight deadline was only a few hours away and I needed and ending.

When I revise this to a more fleshed-out version I'll post it and, hopefully, it will address some of these issues. Thanks again

Last edited by Two Rivers Man; 09-27-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Explained the 'brother' thingy
Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Youngling

Default The One (Revised)

When I posted my other story here, I couldn't help but notice (and be very surprised) at the number of views this story had. I can only think that someone's computer must have gone crazy and opened 8,000 windows. I don't even want to think about how long it must have taken to close them all.

Anyway, I said I'd post a revised version when I had one - so here it is. Hopefully I've addressed most of the issues with the first draft. I removed some scenes and added others. I also added some extra stuff to some of the secondary characters to give them more ... character.

It's almost twice as long as the original, so I'm going to post it in two parts.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Youngling

Default The One (Revised) - Part 1

See first post for explanation for removal. Sorry.

Last edited by Two Rivers Man; 01-14-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Youngling

Default The One (Revised) - Part 2

Se above for reason of removal. Sorry.

Last edited by Two Rivers Man; 01-14-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:11 PM
Youngling

Default Good News

The story has been accepted for publication by Fiction Magazines. It'l be published in the Jun 11 issue of New Realm Magazine.

I've changed the ending and made a few other edits since the last version that was in here, and there will probably be a few be a few more as I work with the editors over the next week or so.

If you happen to read it, I hope you like the final version.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:54 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Congratulations!
Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 PM
Youngling

Thanks