art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 08-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute
Default true power

How many people have we seen with access to it?

And of those people, how many had access to a lot of the true power?

Ishy is the only answer to the second i can think off.

The reason im asking is that to the best of my knowledge he is the only person i can think of who had lots of access and over a prolonged period. Yet several people recognise the signs in his eyes of that prolonged use and even give it a name (saa??)

So in wondering where they saw it and why was it so common that the overuse of it had recognisable symptoms???

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Ishy/Moridin
Graendal gets it occasionally.
Demandred (heavily suspected that he had access given his favor/special mission)
Rand

There are also indications that access to it was much more widespread during the War of Power so they (the Forsaken and Rand through LTT) all had memories of those consequences.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Ishy/Moridin
Graendal gets it occasionally.
Demandred (heavily suspected that he had access given his favor/special mission)
Rand

There are also indications that access to it was much more widespread during the War of Power so they (the Forsaken and Rand through LTT) all had memories of those consequences.
I'm assuming you threw rand in for a lively discussion on "the link"??

Anyway, those are the people i thought and so im wondering why is it only ishy that gets proper use of it now? Why was it more available in the age of legends??

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Taim/M'Hael got a trickle.
Moghedien seemed to have full access for a while.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
I'm assuming you threw rand in for a lively discussion on "the link"??

Anyway, those are the people i thought and so im wondering why is it only ishy that gets proper use of it now? Why was it more available in the age of legends??
"If God is so good, why does he allow evil in the first place. You can drive yourself mad asking those kinds of questions." - the angel Joshua in Supernatural.

This is one of the many, many, many, MANY ways in which WoT defies all logic and common sense.

Did the Dark One sense what Callandor was when Rand brought it near the bore? Even if he didn't, Moridin ANNOUNCED it.

The Dark One had to know that a True Power sa'angreal would leave him helpless and at the mercy of any channeler who used it. So why would the Dark One - who up until this point was incredibly stingy with the True Power and fearful of anyone channeling near the Bore - allow Moridin to seize the True Power through a device that he knew full well would leave him helpless?

For anyone
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
"If God is so good, why does he allow evil in the first place. You can drive yourself mad asking those kinds of questions." - the angel Joshua in Supernatural.

This is one of the many, many, many, MANY ways in which WoT defies all logic and common sense.

Did the Dark One sense what Callandor was when Rand brought it near the bore? Even if he didn't, Moridin ANNOUNCED it.

The Dark One had to know that a True Power sa'angreal would leave him helpless and at the mercy of any channeler who used it. So why would the Dark One - who up until this point was incredibly stingy with the True Power and fearful of anyone channeling near the Bore - allow Moridin to seize the True Power through a device that he knew full well would leave him helpless?

For anyone
This assumes the DO knew it was a TP sa'angreal from the outset. And that he somehow divined the obscure fact that two women can take control over its user.

As for the first part: what makes you think it is a matter of the Creator "allowing" evil? What makes you think he has a choice?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
This assumes the DO knew it was a TP sa'angreal from the outset. And that he somehow divined the obscure fact that two women can take control over its user.

As for the first part: what makes you think it is a matter of the Creator "allowing" evil? What makes you think he has a choice?
The first part is a rhetorical question.

As for whether the Dark One knew that Callandor was a True Power sa'angreal, Moridin outright said it (twice in fact) while standing a few feet away from the bore. It's well established that the Dark One can hear his servants when they talk, so the Dark One knew. Whether he knew about the flaw or not is not germane to the topic.

It's a well-established character trait for the Dark One to fear even his most trusted servants channeling near the bore. The Dark One also has intricate knowledge of the the Pattern. It defies credulity to assume that he wouldn't know how a sa'angreal works and what would happen if the his essence was channeled through one.

So the Dark One is breaking character here. It's almost deliberate stupidity. Like he wants to get sealed back up or something.
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:45 PM
Youngling

padfoot89 will become famous soon enoughpadfoot89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It's a well-established character trait for the Dark One to fear even his most trusted servants channeling near the bore. The Dark One also has intricate knowledge of the the Pattern. It defies credulity to assume that he wouldn't know how a sa'angreal works and what would happen if the his essence was channeled through one.
The DO didn't fear anyone channeling near him. It was a matter of obedience. Rand was allowed to channel near him so I see no reason why Moridin (who was practically the DO's right hand man) would not be allowed to channel.

Knowledge of Callandor's flaw was absolutely relevant. If the DO didn't know about the danger, there was no reason for him to withdraw the TP from Moridin. Moridin was not going to use it against the DO. Moridin with Callandor and the TP gave him a near unbeatable advantage over Rand and co. There's a reason why that part was the riskiest part of the plan.

The DO only realized the danger when Moridin got taken over suddenly and control passed to Rand. He panicked and tried to withdraw the TP but it was too late.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Elder

Bane Darkwulf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The first part is a rhetorical question.

As for whether the Dark One knew that Callandor was a True Power sa'angreal, Moridin outright said it (twice in fact) while standing a few feet away from the bore. It's well established that the Dark One can hear his servants when they talk, so the Dark One knew. Whether he knew about the flaw or not is not germane to the topic.

So the Dark One is breaking character here. It's almost deliberate stupidity. Like he wants to get sealed back up or something.
Not really. The DO is trying to stay unsealed, but cannot directly effect things yet in a reliable manner, so he put his most trusted lieutenant in the spot where he could defend him the most successfully. The TP is from the DO, most of the Forsaken only channel it at need, preferring to use the less addictive OP. Why would he fear someone channeling the power that he himself controls, he can shut it off at any time because, to his knowledge, no one has ever crated even an angreal to channel the TP. Callandor was create by the Aes Sedai of the AOL after the TP was found bu it was crated by those who had no access to it, so he would not have had a part in creating it.Ishmael and his resurrected for Moridin had no prior knowledge of it or he would be trying to get ahold of it even earlier, and would have discovered the flaw.
Dovie'ande se tovya sagain.
THE M'Hael of the TCA (take that PD )
Sa souvraya niende misain ye.
Donkey of Theoryland.
I'm Kung Fu, Bitches!!!
“You’re in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you’d prefer.” Harry Dresden, Turncoat
Old 11-10-2014, 04:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane Darkwulf View Post
Callandor was create by the Aes Sedai of the AOL after the TP was found bu it was crated by those who had no access to it, so he would not have had a part in creating it.
Maybe, maybe not. That has always been a bit ambiguous:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR, Chapter 55, What is Written in Prophecy
"Is that what you think?" Be'lal said softly. "Truly, you know nothing." Suddenly there was a sword in his hands, a sword with a blade carved from black fire. "Take it! Take Callandor! Three thousand years, while I lay imprisoned, it has waited there. For you. One of the most powerful sa'angreal we ever made. Take it, and defend yourself, if you can!"
Does that "we" mean that Be'lal helped make Callandor, or not? If yes, was Be'lal a Forsaken at the time, or not?
Old 12-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Maybe, maybe not. That has always been a bit ambiguous:
Does that "we" mean that Be'lal helped make Callandor, or not? If yes, was Be'lal a Forsaken at the time, or not?
I think it's a general "we" referring to Aes Sedai of the time period in general.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:53 AM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
I think it's a general "we" referring to Aes Sedai of the time period in general.
Agreed, given that Be'lal was the envious one he would have wanted to increase his name by any means possible ("they" becomes "we").

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 12-20-2014, 04:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
Agreed, given that Be'lal was the envious one he would have wanted to increase his name by any means possible ("they" becomes "we").
But that would have backfired horribly if Rand/LTT had remembered that Be'lal hadn't been involved in sa'angreal making. The stories told about Be'lal suggest that he boasted of things he had done, not of things he hadn't.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought that to the Dark One the turning of the Wheel is like a game he tries to beat. You don't get the high score unless you turn the Dragon Reborn. This time too he failed and now he waits while the game resets.

As for how many were allowed to use the True Power I think Moghedien mentioned there had been thirty in the Age of Legends.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
As for how many were allowed to use the True Power I think Moghedien mentioned there had been thirty in the Age of Legends.
Moghedien mentions "twenty-nine others" when she first meets Moridin, but it is not quite certain that she's referring to True Power users. If correct, then there were 29, not 30, in the AOL. Plus however many the DO had granted this in secret, of course.
I'm not sure Moghedien counted the AS who first found the DO and created the Bore; if not, then they would up the count by a considerable margin.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Moghedien mentions "twenty-nine others" when she first meets Moridin, but it is not quite certain that she's referring to True Power users. If correct, then there were 29, not 30, in the AOL. Plus however many the DO had granted this in secret, of course.
I'm not sure Moghedien counted the AS who first found the DO and created the Bore; if not, then they would up the count by a considerable margin.
Wouldn't 29 others mean a total 30 when Moghedien is included?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Maybe, maybe not. Moridin inconsiderately interrupted her before she could clarify that. The way she formulated it, it could go either way, but it doesn't seem likely that if she was going to put herself on the same level as the Third Ager she thought she was speaking to.
And, to further complicate things: it's not quite certain she was speaking about TP use at all. That was another detail which she wasn't given time to clarify.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Quote:
But that would have backfired horribly if Rand/LTT had remembered that Be'lal hadn't been involved in sa'angreal making. The stories told about Be'lal suggest that he boasted of things he had done, not of things he hadn't.
Rand was not hearing/aware of LTT until TSR right? So in TDR, there is no guarantee that LTT would be "around" to jog Rand's memory.

Also, Be'lal could easily have a hand in making sure what stories were told and by who by killing, torturing, or otherwise controlling his image. Cults of personalities are impressive like that. Further, boasting is not envy. I know plenty who boast but are not envious. Envy suggests a need to make oneself larger at the expense of the truth by either ingratiating themselves with their "betters" or making others' deeds their own.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 12-21-2014, 04:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

But Be'lal did not know how much (if anything) Rand remembered. That uncertainty worried all the Forsaken, with the possible exception of Lanfear, who actually hoped that LTT would remember her.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Elder

Quote:
But Be'lal did not know how much (if anything) Rand remembered. That uncertainty worried all the Forsaken, with the possible exception of Lanfear, who actually hoped that LTT would remember her.
Hmm, I do not think that would have stopped his pretensions. Especially where the forsaken take character faults to an extreme, thus Be'lal might have even believed he had helped with the CK by that time even if he had not.