art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Werthead's WoT Report from WorldCon

Werthead (aka Adam Whitehead, sci-fi/fantasy blogger) moderated a Wheel of Time panel at WorldCon in London on Saturday. Harriet and Maria, along with authors Wesley Chu and Peter Brett, were on the panel. He posted a summary of the discussion at Dragonmount.

Here's his report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werthead
At Worldcon I had the pleasure of moderating a panel featuring Harriet, Maria and fantasy authors Wesley Chu and Peter Brett, who spoke about the influence of Wheel of Time on their works. However, there was a fair amount of discussion by Harriet about the new companion volume to the series. This can be summed up as follows:
  • The Wheel of Time Encyclopedia is dead! Long live The Wheel of Time Companion as it will now officially be called.
  • The book will be 350,000 words long (comparable to several of the novels in the series; the longest, The Shadow Rising, is 389,000 words).
  • The book will feature a lot of new artwork, arranged by Irene Gallo at Tor.
  • Publication date likely to be November 2015.
  • The book will feature all of the already-published maps and also some new ones, including one of Thakan'dar.
  • The book will have a large vocabulary of the Old Tongue, with a minimum of 1,000 words.
  • The book will feature character profiles and sketches for almost every character in the series. Even Bela has her own entry.
  • The book will be written from a post-AMoL POV. It will have spoilers for the entire series.

In addition to info on the world book, Harriet revealed some more details generally about the series:
  • The series is finished and done. Tor offered a lot of money and tried to persuade Harriet into doing more, but Harriet put her foot down and said no. The Wheel of Time ends with AMoL and the companion volume.
  • There were several unfulfilled contracts when Robert Jordan passed away, including for the Seanchan trilogy and (I think) several books of Infinity of Heaven. Apparently the money involved was massive, worth many times the value of Harriet's house. Tor worked with the estate to re-write the contracts to substitute the companion book instead.
  • Robert Jordan wrote one line about the planned Seanchan trilogy: Mat Cauthon playing dice in a grubby alleyway in Ebou Dar (not verbatim). That was it.
  • Harriet thinks she named about 75% of the chapters in the series.
  • Harriet vocally re-enacted Bela's death-whinney from AMoL.
  • The panel spent an intense five minutes arguing about Bela's death. When I tried to suggest that we talk about the human characters who died, no-one was really interested. It was all about Bela.
  • Jordan tried to protect Maria from spoilers in the work he had her do for him. She eventually persuaded him she could handle them. Almost the first thing he then gave her was Verin's full backstory. This was somewhere around the time Path of Daggers came out.
  • The oddest research request was Jordan asking how babies feel when they are born. This was eventually used in the bonding scene in Winter's Heart.
  • The movie/TV rights situation is beginning to become clearer. Red Eagle sold the film rights on to Universal and it now looks like the rights could return to the Jordan Estate at some point. There is apparently interest from other companies in the rights given the success of other fantasy projects on TV and in film at the moment.

All in all, a good panel and some interesting stuff came out of it
Old 08-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Robert Jordan wrote one line about the planned Seanchan trilogy: Mat Cauthon playing dice in a grubby alleyway in Ebou Dar (not verbatim). That was it.
Would require some additional padding to turn it into a trilogy, I think.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

I was planning to do also a summary, so i will do that later

But the panel was really fun. The summary doesn't really do it justice
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.

Last edited by Isabel; 08-19-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Quote:
The Wheel of Time Encyclopedia is dead!
Did anyone else start to freak out before reading the next sentence?

Too bad it's still a while off, but the 350,000 word count is pretty awesome.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

I'm just looking forward to the Old Tongue dictionary. I've been wanting this dictionary ever since I started reading WoT.

Also, I can't wait for Nov. 2015!

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There were several unfulfilled contracts when Robert Jordan passed away, including for the Seanchan trilogy and (I think) several books of Infinity of Heaven. Apparently the money involved was massive, worth many times the value of Harriet's house. Tor worked with the estate to re-write the contracts to substitute the companion book instead.
That's just awful...I'm happy she was able to work something out but I can't imagine having that sort of stress to deal with after losing one's spouse to a horrible disease.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-20-2014, 03:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
Yup.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 08-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post

Too bad it's still a while off, but the 350,000 word count is pretty awesome.
Burn my soul, I trust the vast majority are dedicated to the nobles of Tear.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Youngling

mogi67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to have some news finally. The 2015 release date is a bummer, but at least this gives me time to read the BWB I bought a year ago and never opened
Old 09-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

hehehehe

well, don't put too much into what the BWB SAYS, there is quite a bit of stuff that is...off.

The illustrations rock though.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001