art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 03/08 - 09/08
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Elder

irerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really nice
Default Night Shift...

Has anyone ever worked a night shift before? I have an interview tomorrow for ten to seven. I would think it would be hard at first, but once you get into the flow of it, it would be easier. Just curious...
Old 09-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I think you should stick with your nice government job.

I worked night shift for years - it's not bad unless it's long term. If you work night shift for a long time, you start to feel as if you have no life...
Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Hopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant future

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, drove off the road coming home after falling asleep at the wheel. I'll never do it again.

Dapple's Alpha
Guardian Wolf to Zaela Sedai and Packmate to the 'taer clan.
Greeter Emeritus

Training younglings to Howl since 1998

Jordan: I have always thought that the small whimper of a theory as it dies is a beautiful sound.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Spammer, we've worked night shift before and never had any issues with it. If you'll recall when we were in the army, we were on night shift frequently for months at a time.

Night shift is something your body gets used to after a couple weeks. Its also kinda cool to be up when everyone's asleep. 10-7 kinda cool since you can get home by 8 and crash till around 2-3 in the afternoon and be fine. You'll always get to run errands when things are open too.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

Never worked a night shift, however, I loved when my mom did. It's nice to be a teenager and your only parent works night shifts.
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA
Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

There are nurses who love night shifts and nurses that hate them. I hated them- but for some people they had no trouble.

You won't really know how your body handles it until you give it a try.

Are you a light sleeper- or a sound sleeper? Will you have trouble sleeping during the day?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

The night time is the right time, the night time is the right time...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 09-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Elder

RogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of light

Suntanned toes... tickling the sand.
Cold drink chilling in my, right hand.

yadayada, something about booze and sleeping

Night shifts blow.
and you were tasty!-Brita
That was fabulous m'dear
-Zaela
Hero of Theoryland
Old 09-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Elder

irerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really nice

Dav, how could I forget about those night patrols we went on? Stupid me...

I can sleep soundly as long as it is dark. Luckly, I sleep in the basement.

But thanks everyone. I'm going to try and get it, and if I hate it I can always quit. Plus, the extra money for doing the night shift is a very nice incentive.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

We worked in an office preparing briefing slides at night, silly. We were Intel, not infantry.

Night shift can be fun. What type of work is it?

Old 09-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Elder

Sorry. I guess I got my stories mixed up; I tell all the girls we were infantry. Sounds a lot cooler.

The work is stocking shelves. Not exactly stimulating stuff, but I've been looking for a while and it'll help save money up for the mission.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

Dav... Spammer. Am I getting the idea that you two KNOW each other? (Or am I the last to know?)

That would explain a few things...

Edited to add: I used to work either a 4-midnight or a midnight-8 shift at an answering service. The service was located on Hotel Street, Honolulu's "red-light district." I had some very entertaining views from my window (I was on the third floor of a corner building -- I could see up and down most of Hotel Street.) Up to and including the dead body that got dumped on a bus-stop bench just across from my office near the end of one of my 4-12 shifts. I had to walk past all the cops on the way to my car. THAT was uncomfortable...

One nice feature of those shifts was that parking was pretty easy to find. One bad feature was that I DON'T sleep well during the day.

I used to get a huge giggle out of telling people I met that I was "an operator on Hotel Street." ~Snrk~ The facial expressions were priceless!
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!

Last edited by tworiverswoman; 09-22-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiverswoman
Dav... Spammer. Am I getting the idea that you two KNOW each other?
In the Biblical sense, no less...
Old 09-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Dav... Spammer. Am I getting the idea that you two KNOW each other? (Or am I the last to know?)
Spammer is one of my posting aliases...or multiple personalities...I can't quite remember. Perhaps Terez could explain it. It has to do with Barrier degradation and the use of tainted saidin.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

lol - you're doing a wonderful job balancing your multiple personalities.
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA

Last edited by Cary Sedai; 09-22-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSavior
Suntanned toes... tickling the sand.
Cold drink chilling in my, right hand.

yadayada, something about booze and sleeping

Night shifts blow.
LOL... Nice, RS. And that song is about staying up all night drinking, so it doesn't really fit.

And just because it came to mind... "Don't yada yada the Lord, Harry."

And never done a night shift. My sleep would probably really suffer. I sleep really lightly and I have quite a few requirements for sleeping soundly, one of which is darkness.

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Darkness can easily be achieved with things on the windows.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

Right. Complete darkness with shades. That happens. Really.

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 09-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Did I say shades? I was thinking more like black posterboard...
Old 09-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Elder

RogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of light

Please - that's one of like... ten things movie serial killers always have. Black posterboard on their windows.... honestly. Don't you watch movies?

People think B is weird already without THAT!
and you were tasty!-Brita
That was fabulous m'dear
-Zaela
Hero of Theoryland