art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Youngling

isamu237 has a spectacular aura aboutisamu237 has a spectacular aura aboutisamu237 has a spectacular aura about
Default Big Mysteries, Unanswered Questions

So I'm already up to ACoS on my reread. Yeah, I had three big(ish) questions on TGH then blew through everything else without noticing anything major. Oh sure, I've seen some "Hmmm, that's interesting. Hmmm, I'll bet that connects over there. Hmmm, I'll make a note of that to watch the progression," but I've yet to have a big "AHA!" moment.
Am I missing something? Or are there actually fewer big mysteries and unanswered questions than I had assumed?

To that end: What is your biggest unanswered question? What do you most want the answer to? Or what do you think is the biggest "plot point" still open you think needs an answer?

Mine is easy, and also the only one I can think of off the top of my head:
VERIN!

I freely admit this is because she is, by far, my favorite secondary character; both from a fan viewpoint and as a literary critique. I mean, how assume is it that RJ created a situation wherein there were diametrically opposed theories about her. Right up until her big reveal, it was equally possible and credible she was Black or Purple. She was so intriguing, so mysteries, so interesting, that she spawned the idea of an entirely new and otherwise unsubstantiated group. (Add that to the list of disappointingly debunked theories.)
I would LOVE a Verin POV short story. So many unanswered questions. How did she end up BA? How did she walk that razor's edge of following her dark oaths while still aiding the Light; and not managing to get herself killed? But of course biggest of all: DID SHE LIVE?! She seemed to think there was a chance, but how?!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

What were the three questions that Moiraine asked the Finn?

That's the only real one, though there were two unresolved issues that annoyed me:

- What ever happened to Logain's glory?

- How did Narishma "follow after"?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:51 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Verin did not live. She thought there would be a chance if she could get the Oath Rod, but it had been taken away by the BA-hunters. It may not have worked anyway, since it would have been an act that would facilitate betraying the Dark One. I suspect the Oaths would have tripped her up.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Ancient

Hugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of light

The Follow After thing I think was just lost in the untimely death of RJ.

But it bugs me.

Moirain's questions is a good one.

Logain's glory is the Sealbreaker and leader of the Black Tower, pretty sure he is not going by M'Hael!

A Verin short story would be cool.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

What the heck did Lanfear do for the Shadow after she was freed from being Sealed? What, especially, did she do as Cyndane for the Shadow?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 PM
Youngling

SomeOneElse is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
What the heck did Lanfear do for the Shadow after she was freed from being Sealed? What, especially, did she do as Cyndane for the Shadow?
After unseal she was rather playing for herself as Ishy pointed out (in Perrin's dream in TDR), and as Cyndane.... Well she could do something if Perrin didn't love his wife that much.
And if we think that The Do needs the Dragon to be compleetlly free then she is responsible for Rand not being killed 3 or 4 times and not being a total noob in the OP meaning also not being killed some (or some 10s) times aswell.

Last edited by SomeOneElse; 03-30-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Wasn't Cyndane behind Masema?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Wasn't Cyndane behind Masema?
I think every Forsaken was manipulating him; that would explain at least part of his insanity.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:32 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post

That's the only real one, though there were two unresolved issues that annoyed me:

- What ever happened to Logain's glory?

- How did Narishma "follow after"?
The prophecy states "who draws it out shall follow after", referring to Callandor. Narishma "followed after" by drawing the sword from the Stone (heh) after Rand had already touched it, thus fulfilling the prophecy.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 04-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
I've always been curious about that as well, though I suspect that at least two if not all of them had to do with Rand.

1. What must I do to guide Rand?
2. What must I do to save Rand?
3. What can I do for Rand to help him win the last Battle?

Depending on what information she may have gotten from Min, she might have believed she could stave off her death until getting married and with that expectation in mind, would feel free to ask the questions that mattered to her most, all centering on the Dragon Reborn.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Youngling

Morelikeunwisewoman will become famous soon enoughMorelikeunwisewoman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eht slat meit View Post
I've always been curious about that as well, though I suspect that at least two if not all of them had to do with Rand.

1. What must I do to guide Rand?
2. What must I do to save Rand?
3. What can I do for Rand to help him win the last Battle?

Depending on what information she may have gotten from Min, she might have believed she could stave off her death until getting married and with that expectation in mind, would feel free to ask the questions that mattered to her most, all centering on the Dragon Reborn.
I am wondering- what exactly led to moraine being de-powered so much but not lanfear/cyndane?

And if Ishmael knew to go get lanfear shouldn't LTT have told Rand to do the same thing?
Old 04-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morelikeunwisewoman View Post
I am wondering- what exactly led to moraine being de-powered so much but not lanfear/cyndane?

And if Ishmael knew to go get lanfear shouldn't LTT have told Rand to do the same thing?
Actually, after reviewing ToM, not so sure about #3, but as far as those are concerned? My guesses:

1. Lanfear died, Moiraine didn't. Tack on the old soul ala the male/female thing to a new body with some DO intervention, and boom, a cobble-job of the old model.

2. Prior to him being Nae'bliss? DO told him to go recover the body, and brought it back for remodeling and mindtrapping.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It was part of the price that each paid to the finn. They seemed to "eat" Lanfear's power too quickly, killing her, so when she was brought back as Cyndane, she was weaker than she had been as Mierin/Lanfear. They took their time more with Moiraine, so that they could feed without killing her. As for why Rand never did anything about it, he thought she was dead.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Youngling

SomeOneElse is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Maybe Ishy was more knowledgeable

My biggest Q is what will go on about all these things after TG, like Seanchan, Red Ajah/black tower etc etc.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Well, Rand was pretty well insane at that point, rarely thinking logically, and had taken Lan's word that Moiraine had died (who also believed she was dead). Mat had Thom and Thom's letter to tell him that she was alive.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Youngling

Strange thought that I had regarding the sudden appearance of a mysterious and apparently hithertofore unknown "woman" at the end of AMoL.

No major theory behind this, though it certainly does have larger implications, just a point A to point B on two characters who simply exited without fanfare.

Aviendha and Graendal/Hasselam. Rand is dying, his blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul, seeing one woman through blurred vision: a devoted old woman who might be carrying a crippled Aiel whose clothing he sees.

"Yes. That is good, that is what you need to do."

Graendal is showing Aviendha how to transmigrate Rand's soul into Moridin's body.

$0.02
Old 04-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Strange thought that I had regarding the sudden appearance of a mysterious and apparently hithertofore unknown "woman" at the end of AMoL.

No major theory behind this, though it certainly does have larger implications, just a point A to point B on two characters who simply exited without fanfare.

Aviendha and Graendal/Hasselam. Rand is dying, his blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul, seeing one woman through blurred vision: a devoted old woman who might be carrying a crippled Aiel whose clothing he sees.

"Yes. That is good, that is what you need to do."

Graendal is showing Aviendha how to transmigrate Rand's soul into Moridin's body.

$0.02
It was Nakomi.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Youngling

Who's to say that isn't what I just said?

Old 04-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Elder

Quote:
Who's to say that isn't what I just said?

Um... Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson?

(possibly Harriet and Maria too, to be fair)

Old 04-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Youngling

No, no, what I meant was who's to say that what you are saying isn't the exact same thing I am saying? Hmmmmmm? Hmmmmm?

Oh, and sup ZS. been awhile!