art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Hey New Users of Theoryland!
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough
Default Belated new hello

Hi,

I was reminded on another thread I should post hello here. I thought I had, but I was apparently tripping on too much Dew at the time, which is all too often the case with me. :-P

So yea. I've poked at Theoryland for a couple of years now as I've read through the books, just never made a forum account. Glad to finally say 'hello' to everyone. ^_^
Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

And here is the promised welcome:

Welcome Heinz!!

You may call me Naz!

Enjoy the roasted marshmallows you will no doubt be offered as soon as I'm on fire!

Speaking of which:

*Holds up the Torch*
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

*sets naz on fire*

*roasts sausages*

*breaks open the mead and sits on the ESC*

oh, and WELCOME, HEINZ!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking to the newbie or the ketchup, Flaming Haran?

*Roasts marshmellows*

*Hands some to Heinz*
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Youngling

*curiously considers the marshmellows offered by the person they had been roasted on* Wonder if this is anything like cooking meat over mesquite grill chips..

And thanks for the reminder, Anaiya. Have a home-made mead recipe I've been meaning to try and make.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Welcome to Theoryland, Heinz.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

Ah! Ze Germans are coming!

Erm... I mean... Welcome to the Insanity, Heinz! Who's your favorite character? Are you a Faile-Lover or a Berelain fan? What's your favorite scene? How old are you? Should we refer to you as he or she? Or do you prefer to be "it"? Or Ketchup?

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 09-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Elder

irerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really nice

Welcome to Theoryland, Heinz!

~wonders how anyone could possibly be a Faile Lover~
Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Heinz- there are no better kinds!

Welcome!!!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Youngling

Yes, yes we are coming. :-P Technically I'm Dutch by ancestory, American by birth, but I did study German for about 8 years and lived there for a year.

Eeep, lots of questions! Welp, I'll get the easy, practical stuff out of the way. 27 years old, and definately a 'he', though 'Ketchup' is something my SW Galaxies guildmates all liked to call me so I'm quite used to it.

I wouldn't call myself a Berelain fan, but I cannot stand Faile/Zarine. She's as bad if not worse than Nyneave (I know I spelled it wrong, at work and can't look it all up. Typing up in notepad so I can C&P the text to post actually), and Elayne is only slightly better. Yes, all three of those women annoy me to an amount I did not think possible for fictional characters in a book. Credit to Jordan for bringing them to life to that extent. Anyway, Faile makes Perrin's life hell, and often knows she's doing it but does it anyway. Then again, Berelain is just looking for a piece of meat, much like Tylin with Mat, which is only slightly better. Her bonus points come from being a little more political and, at least part of the time, letting her personal desires/problems fall second. All Faile seems to care about is how she can barb Perrin or her parents again. But then, I've taken to not liking Perrin much either. He's become too love-struck to the point where he's blinded to almost anything else. There are times I wish I could punch him in the face.

My own favorite character would be Mat, I suppose. It didn't start that way. I liked Rand the most at first, but he's become too stubborn and too arrogant. By design, I know, but that doens't change the opinion. The last couple of books, I actually didn't like even reading the parts with Rand (yet I read anyway. o.O). I wish there was more time left to further develop Mat's path with the Band and the Seanchan. That and the story with Egwene (Also among my favorites, though she has a tendancy to make what I think are silly decisions based on fool stubbornness too) have so much to tell, each could be their own main story in a book. Following close behind Mat, I've taken to liking Bashere and Bryne. As a side-note and not at all related, I also enjoy strategy war-gaming, have gotten into fencing, and overall enjoy the idea of the proper, moral, chivalristic knight and general. :-P But Mat I identify with more, of course, being younger. Also because he is a main character instead of a support, Mat is developed more and there are more elements to him.

Not coincidentally, my favorite scene then is the culmination of Mat's development thus far. From where he re-joins the Band and fights that campaign against the Seanchan, just before Tuon confirms their marriage, and ending with one of the last chapters in Knife of Dreams, 'Prince of Ravens'.

I know some people would groan at the prospect of more books, but to me that's the fun part of Wheel of Time. I wish there were just a couple more to further develop what I think are very intricate situations. I think the series is going to end far too soon, and rush endings to give a bit of a let-down. The biggest ones are the stories of Mat and Egwene. The home continent of Seanchan is a mess, there is no clear leadership, and the Forerunners are mired in policing states. They still have to attack the Tower too, which could be its own climax in a separate book. Should be. And the Tower is so thoroughly broken at the moment. I can guess at a couple of quick fixes so they fight the Last Battle, but it still all feels too rushed. Lan's forming a borderland army isn't a very small feat either. Elayne will have to get Andor somehow re-organized enough to support their army going to a foreign war, and she'll possibly need to get Cairien as well. These are two countries wrecked by civil war, how are they supposed to fight a foreign war? And as side-plots, there's the Tower of Genji, Tuon re-claiming her position and ascending to the Crystal Throne, Rand at some point bowing to the Crystal Throne, the issue of Slayer, the Red Ajah bonding Ash'aman, the Purge in the Tower, and any number of other things I'm not thinking of off the top of my head and can't look up. (Its a slow day, and my boss doesn't know what I do all day anyway, just that things get done and people are happy. But I try not to web surf too much, lest they actually check web hits from work computers.)

So yea, that's my thoughts on the series. I know some people are tired of the series and want it to conclude. To me, while I wouldn't want it to go on forever, I wish there were about 3 more books, maybe 4, instead of 1. Too often you get into a trilogy or shorter series, you get attached to a character or two, and then its done. All over. Or the series is carried on by multiple authors, such as Star Wars or Star Trek books, so your character can be VERY different from one book to the next. Now this, by a very sad circumstance, will have an author switch, but in a situation where continuity of the plot and story will be as in tact as possible while allowing the new author to write his piece. Overall the series is that much better because it is a solid piece of writing, not fragmented by so many different people writing. I always liked the time and detail Jordan took to develop things, I hate to see it end so quickly.

That give you a better idea of me? Perhaps even more than you wanted? :-D
Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

That's a little better. Next time, try to use some quotes from the books.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Youngling

"Blood and bloody ashes", the series shouldn't end just yet!

Oh, and Rand has become a "light-blinded fool".

Better?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

You should cite book and chapter names.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Heinz doesn't need minders.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Everyone needs minders. Especially noobs.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

Welcome Heinz!

~sprinkles Heinz with fairy dust~

I call dibs on lighting Naz on fire next! Your not sharing, Anaiya!

Heinz, that was extremely enlighting. I like both Berelain and Faile. I too wish there were 3 or 4 more books. Then off-shoots about Seanchan, and the aftermath from the Last Battle... I dont' like when good stories end.

~roast some marshmellows~

~shares with everyone~
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA
Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sis, why don't your Warders join the Friends of the Flame?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

~arches eyebrow~

Same reason they aren't PD's minions.
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA
Old 09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

The Friends are not my minions
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

welcome, welcome

*jumps on the ESC and steals some of Anaiya's mead*

gotta do it like a viking when drinking mead

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"