art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): aldoarle,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Ancient

Hugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of light
Default New Questions

When I say "New" I mean ones I have not seen discussed, or questions I have.

I started a similar thread a while back, but I am hoping to get a new set of questions out there.

So of these might be me missing something or the impossible questions we might never know, IE that room in Rhuidean in tFoH that Rand could not figure out the and nor could I.

This is not an actual Aes Sedia bashing question, or Egwene bashing...But when they are prepping for the Last Battle did the White Tower do anything to call back all the sisters? I mean they have eyes and ears everywhere and Traveling...We know for a fact that some where still with the Borderlanders only days before the last Battle. How about the rest? if they had 1000 sisters, it was theorized in the books that about a third was in the WT a third with the rebels and a third off somewhere. Did anyone think to call back those off doing their own thing?

Next, once the Tuon learns about Traveling or the fact that they can do it, did she send any envoys or orders to the home continent? We know it was in chaos, but I would have tried to get some feeling on what was going on, and if possible get help for the last battle.

Last right now, Did Rand ever order for the Aiel to be tested to channel? Any reason why not?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Ancient

Hugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of light

Also Anyone know if they WOT Encyclopedia WEB site will ever be finished?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh the Hand View Post
Last right now, Did Randever order for the Aiel to be tested to channel? Any reason why not?
I do not believe he did. I can only imagine that he didnt order it because he was worried it would fracture the society even further.

I have a question- not really factual, more an impression thing.

when perrin is on his never ending quest to free his wife there is a pivotal scene where he is needing infotmation from an aiel. He tortures the aiel. It is meant to be hard hitting and show his descent into darkness similar to rands.

Am I the only one who feels it fell flat? I think I would do the same in his place.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 06-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was a bit amateur hour by Perrin. I think I could torture someone a bit better than that...but that's just me.

Granted, I'd just waterboard his dumb ass till he broke. Or I'd go all Ramsay Snow on him. That would have been an interesting crossover scene.

"So yeah, I suck at torturing but my Wise Ones/Ashaman discovered a new gateway technique that opened up in a weird world called Westeros right by something called the "Dreadfort". Not sure what it is but this nice fella named Reek was hanging out and said he'd help me out. He said something about how you would end up begging him to cut off your finger....not sure what it means but it should be fun to find out."

Seems like a nice guy.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Also Anyone know if they WOT Encyclopedia WEB site will ever be finished?
I am friends with Gary Kephart on Facebook; he occasionally posts updates. Not sure when it will be done but they are working on it.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is not an actual Aes Sedia bashing question, or Egwene bashing...But when they are prepping for the Last Battle did the White Tower do anything to call back all the sisters? I mean they have eyes and ears everywhere and Traveling...We know for a fact that some where still with the Borderlanders only days before the last Battle. How about the rest? if they had 1000 sisters, it was theorized in the books that about a third was in the WT a third with the rebels and a third off somewhere. Did anyone think to call back those off doing their own thing?
A lot of those AS hadn't been doing their own thing, they had been doing Cadsuane's thing instead. And, as you may remember, once the candidates from the first two factions had been cleared away, Cadsuane became Amyrlin.

There were a few AS who had escaped that, one way or another. For instance, there were some (at least one) amongst the irregulars that gathered at Merrilor.
But I think that most AS did get back to follow the instructions from the White Tower. If they didn't and Rand won, they had centuries of awkward questions to look forward to, after all.

Quote:
Next, once the Tuon learns about Traveling or the fact that they can do it, did she send any envoys or orders to the home continent? We know it was in chaos, but I would have tried to get some feeling on what was going on, and if possible get help for the last battle.
Not as far as we know.
Tuon may have decided to ignore that mess for the time being. That way, she could pretend that she had started solving it as soon as she became aware of it. If she had send spies and then done nothing when they reported chaos, that would have meant a severe loss of face.

Quote:
Last right now, Did Rand ever order for the Aiel to be tested to channel? Any reason why not?
I don't think Rand ever ordered anyone to be tested in that way. As far as he was concerned, it should always be voluntary. And the Aiel males didn't volunteer for this; if they found out they could channel they went to "kill the Dark One".
Old 06-09-2015, 04:54 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Granted, I'd just waterboard his dumb ass till he broke.
Once a military man, always a military man

Dav: answer the question.

Big Bird: I don't know. Please. Please I have a family.

Dav: answer the question. Now.

BB: I DON'T KNOW GODDAMN YOU!

Dav nods head and a marine grabs BB from behind and covers face with a wet towel. The water boarding commences.

1 hour later.

Dav: he was a tough old bird. But he broke like all the rest. Now we know. Now we know how to get to sesame street. Roll out boys.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

ROFL

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Ancient

As for the AS I thought the Code was Tower before nation etc. It seems many AS had their own loyalties, ie those with the Borderlanders, did not follow the Mommy's orders and fight with the Tower.

Along those lines, I think my confusion was with the numbers at the various Battles. We know all the Borderlanders were with Lan, but how many AS or Ashamen? Any support Aiel? Any support troops at all?

How about with Perrin and those forces? It was the Band, Andor, Perrin's forces, some Aiel, the Kin, and we know it was some channelers, but not sure how many or from where?

Same with Rand's force, it was Tear, the Aiel, the Windfinders?, the Dragonsworn, but not all since some ended up at Merriior? Speaking of windfinders, how many ended up fighting? how many troops from the ships, if any? yes, I know many windfinders battled the Storm. but each ship had at least one right?

I know these questions might just be me trying to find details that do not exist. But it leads to the question, where we all the Aiel? All the Windfinders? Sea Folk must have had some fighters, right?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How about with Perrin and those forces? It was the Band, Andor, Perrin's forces, some Aiel, the Kin, and we know it was some channelers, but not sure how many or from where?
Perrin had the few AS he had been given by Rand, the one that came with Berelain, and that's it, I think. The thing with Galina did not really work out in the end.
He had a couple of WOs who could channel too, and maybe he got some more after Merrilor; probably not, though.
And he got an unspecified number of Asha'man to add to the two he already had.
I don't think he had collected any Wind Finders or damane or such.

Quote:
Sea Folk must have had some fighters, right?
They have Swordmasters and (presumably) one Master of the Blades too. Though Mat may have accidentally usurped that position:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACoS, Chapter 39, Promises to Keep
Mat snatched it out of her hand before the blade could reach his chest and shoved her back into her chair. He did have quick hands. He could still hold on to his temper, too. No matter how many women thought they could dance him for a puppet, he could -"You listen to me, you bilge stone." All right; maybe he could not hold it. "Nynaeve and Elayne need you, or I’d leave you for the gholam to crack your bones and the Black Ajah to pick over what’s left. Well, as far as you’re concerned, I’m the Master of the Blades, and my blades are bare." What that meant exactly, he had no idea, except for having once heard, "When the blades are bare, even the Mistress of the Ships bows to the Master of the Blades." "This is the bargain between you and me. You go where Nynaeve and Elayne want, and in return, I won’t tie the lot of you across horses like packsaddles and haul you there!"
For the Sea Folk, that may be the official start of the Last Battle.

I wonder whether anyone would ever get around to telling him this.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:03 AM
Youngling

halo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to all

A question just poped up on a reddit thread:

What about transgender channelers. Would Trans-randlanders be like Halima, able to channel a power that doesn't match their sex?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Halima essentially is transgender, or at least RJ's view of it. And according to RJ's view, soul gender is apparently dichotomous and cannot be changed, at least in the WoT world.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo6819 View Post
A question just poped up on a reddit thread:

What about transgender channelers. Would Trans-randlanders be like Halima, able to channel a power that doesn't match their sex?
You were on a reddit forum and the question of Transgender popped up? That is so unexpected!

But I would see this as having a simple answer.

There are two options:

A) The soul is the gender coefficient. So lets say the person is born a Man but has the soul of a Woman and wants to be a Woman. If the Soul is the Gender coefficient for channeling than even as a Man saidar was available and after the operations saidar will still be accessible.

B) The Body is the gender Coefficient. In this case the person is Born a man and yet has the soul of a woman(enjoys shoes, greys anatomy etc ) and decides to become a woman. If the body determines the channeling than after the operation this lady will be channeling saidan.

Based on Halima- A mans soul transported/transposed into a female body is only capable of channeling the male half of the source than I would suggest A as the option most likely.

So: Born a man with womans soul- Always Saidar

Born a woman with mans souls- always Saidan.

Born a man with mans soul and becomes a woman- still saidan.

Born a woman with womans souls and becomes a man- still saidar.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
There are two options:

A) The soul is the gender coefficient. So lets say the person is born a Man but has the soul of a Woman and wants to be a Woman. If the Soul is the Gender coefficient for channeling than even as a Man saidar was available and after the operations saidar will still be accessible.

B) The Body is the gender Coefficient. In this case the person is Born a man and yet has the soul of a woman(enjoys shoes, greys anatomy etc ) and decides to become a woman. If the body determines the channeling than after the operation this lady will be channeling saidan.
There is a third option:

C) A person continues to Channel whichever they first Channeled. EG If Bruce Jenner first learned to Channel Saidin before beginning the transformation, She would continue to Channel Saidin after the sex-change. If She learned to Channel after the transformation, she would Channel Saidar.

I suspect that most transgenders would not Channel at all, so the question would be moot.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Could a person have the True Power as "first channeling experience"?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
There is a third option:

C) A person continues to Channel whichever they first Channeled. EG If Bruce Jenner first learned to Channel Saidin before beginning the transformation, She would continue to Channel Saidin after the sex-change. If She learned to Channel after the transformation, she would Channel Saidar.
So their is no gender co-efficient in the ability to channel? Why couldn't any man start to learn saidar or any woman learn saidin?

Old 06-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Ancient

One could be predisposed to one or the other, depending on their birth gender.

Maybe it is a hormone thing? hence puberty is when things pop up.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
So their is no gender co-efficient in the ability to channel? Why couldn't any man start to learn saidar or any woman learn saidin?
Yes, there IS a gender bias because the Creator said there was. If Gender-confusion doesn't prevent the concentration necessary to Channel successfully, then the gender-of-the-moment determines what gets Channeled -- and yes, Gonzo, the True Power first is a very remote possibility.

Halima demonstrates that it is the Soul that determines what is Channeled but she is an unnatural artifact. The Wheel/Pattern would not normally allow a mismatch between soul and gender, or create the conditions that would allow cross-gender Channeling as a first effort.

Either Gender can demonstrably manipulate both sides of the Source in a Circle, it is the necessary mind-set for accessing either half that sets the gender bias according to gender stereotypes.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Yes, there IS a gender bias because the Creator said there was. If Gender-confusion doesn't prevent the concentration necessary to Channel successfully, then the gender-of-the-moment determines what gets Channeled -- and yes, Gonzo, the True Power first is a very remote possibility.

Halima demonstrates that it is the Soul that determines what is Channeled but she is an unnatural artifact. The Wheel/Pattern would not normally allow a mismatch between soul and gender, or create the conditions that would allow cross-gender Channeling as a first effort.

Either Gender can demonstrably manipulate both sides of the Source in a Circle, it is the necessary mind-set for accessing either half that sets the gender bias according to gender stereotypes.
Forgetting about the transgender issue- do you think if a girl was discovered with the spark she could learn to channel saidin?

Or a boy could simply learn to channel saidar it was his first experience??

Last edited by Daekyras; 06-11-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Zombie and I were discussing trans in WoT a couple weeks ago and I will raise the same point now as I did then:

The World and the Power are built from the same gunk - reality is to am extent built from the Power in a different form. What if the reason there are no natural trans channelers in the world of WoT is because their very ability to channel alters their physical form, correcting it in early development?
We would need to essentially chromosome check all channelers to see if it is maintained (rather than a "quick fix" at conception), and could even try stilling a few to see if the effects can continue on without the Power.
We know already the Power affects longevity, mending the body as it ages, if not perfectly. Why can't it fix this, too?

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac