art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Discussion 03/2012 - 10/2015
User Name
Password

Old 08-24-2015, 09:42 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute
Default STEM thread

So, both to illustrate the power of mathematics and to have a little fun, I thought we could do a thread that walks through some topics, in an example-heavy manner.

First, we'll convert a general Boolean Satisfiability problem into a single algebraic function, f(k). When f(k) and k are both natural numbers, they correspond to an acceptable set of assignments for the original variables.

So, first I'll need a Boolean statement to test (let's keep the number of variables within a reasonable range, and avoid excessive nesting for the sake of simplicity). Ideally it will correspond to a real world problem, to give a little flavor.

So:
You can use (), AND, OR, and NOT (along with...preferably <20 boolean variables). Any volunteers?

Something like IMFUCKED=(NOT IHAVEANUMBRELLA AND ITISRAINING) OR (NOT IHAVEANUMBRELLA AND ILIVEINHONGKONG) OR (ILIVEINHONGKONG AND MYNAMEISLEUNG) OR ILIVEINSYRIA

You can just use x[n], instead of names (though include a table, if possible, for flavor).

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 08-24-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

IMJAY-Z = (99a not b)

a= number of problems.
b= my bitch.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 08-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

The way I want to do the conversion (in case this goes forward while I'm asleep) is Boolean SAT>CNF SAT>3SAT>Subset-Sum>Quadratic Residue. I think it'll blow people's minds to see an entire arbitrary Boolean sentence essentially embedded into two rational numbers.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:04 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
IMJAY-Z = (99a not b)

a= number of problems.
b= my bitch.
lol.

The correct way to write that would be:

x[1] AND x[2] AND x[3] AND ... x[99]=IMJZ

Where x[i]=TRUE iff PROBLEM[i]=BITCH.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
lol.

The correct way to write that would be:

x[1] AND x[2] AND x[3] AND ... x[99]=IMJZ

Where x[i]=TRUE iff PROBLEM[i]=BITCH.
Excellent.

It's been so long since I used any computer science it would have taken me ages and some study to achieve what you wrote.

Crap, it's funny how you forget stuff like that while still feeling like you are maintaining relevance in your field!

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Old 08-24-2015, 10:26 PM
Elder

CS is pretty dull, in general. I avoided it whenever possible.

We could use your statement, though. Except, without knowing anything about the specifics of the 99 problems, or how they relate to one another (houseonfire and sprinklersareon might cancel each other out), the answer is trivial. Just 99 assignments of FALSE.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Elder

Quote:
CS is pretty dull, in general. I avoided it whenever possible.

We could use your statement, though. Except, without knowing anything about the specifics of the 99 problems, or how they relate to one another (houseonfire and sprinklersareon might cancel each other out), the answer is trivial. Just 99 assignments of FALSE.

So how would I say IMCHRISCOLUMBUS?

(X[1492] AND Y NOT Z)

X = true if year
Y = true if discovered America
Z = true if directed harry potter?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:45 PM
Elder

Quote:
So how would I say IMCHRISCOLUMBUS?

(X[1492] AND Y NOT Z)

X = true if year
Y = true if discovered America
Z = true if directed harry potter?
X AND NOT Y AND NOT Z AND W (or, X AND NOT (Y OR Z) AND W), where X is true iff the year is 1492, Y is true iff he discovered America, Z is true iff he directed Harry Potter, and W is true iff he would get credit for discovering America.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:17 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Ooooh, a thread right up my street!!

*sits on ESC*
*looks totally confused*

Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
Ooooh, a thread right up my street!!

*sits on ESC*
*looks totally confused*

lol!! me too. i always thought of myself as a Sciency person, but i never did programming. i'm pretty bad at biology, and physics was just math with cool examples. i do well with chemistry; it's mainly problem-solving and lighting stuff on fire. Mostly lighting stuff on fire.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 08-26-2015, 05:21 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 08-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Elder

No one has a sentence to convert?
Old 08-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Elder

Quote:
No one has a sentence to convert?
It's an imposing topic Unreasoner. Maybe you could give us a boolean equation and a clue and we can try and figure out what it is?

So for a famous person you could do what we have above or for a song you could put the title or the gist of it into the code and we try and guess? It would probably be easier than us mere humans trying to "code" from inferior base knowledge?

Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 PM
Elder

Quote:
It's an imposing topic Unreasoner. Maybe you could give us a boolean equation and a clue and we can try and figure out what it is?

So for a famous person you could do what we have above or for a song you could put the title or the gist of it into the code and we try and guess? It would probably be easier than us mere humans trying to "code" from inferior base knowledge?
Hmm. I thought it would be cooler if I let you guys pick it, but I guess it could be seen as too tricky with the technical issues.

Does anyone have a humorous flowchart? We could use that.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Elder

Default How about one of these?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:02 PM
Elder

Default Actually I like these better. And they'll work bettewr too

Old 08-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Elder

These ones are better because the entire input is used to answer a single yes/no question (decision problem), so it's not ambiguous like the space one (or almost always yes, for the hacking one).

So, TLanders:

Please, vote on a flowchart.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Elder

Should I get a tattoo looks easiest
Unreasoner. Actually, can we be on first name terms? Can I call you the?

I'll try this.

Tattoo= [A(2) NOT A(1)] AND [B(2) NOT (B(1)AND C (1) or C (2)]
]
A = am I drunk?
B= are friends egging on?
C= are they laughing?
1 = yes
2= no

Last edited by Daekyras; 08-28-2015 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Elder

Quote:
Should I get a tattoo looks easiest
Unreasoner. Actually, can we be on first name terms? Can I call you the?
TU seems like it would be less confusing.
Quote:
I'll try this.

Tattoo= [A(2) NOT A(1)] AND [B(2) NOT (B(1)AND C (1) or C (2)]
]
A = am I drunk?
B= are friends egging on?
C= are they laughing?
1 = yes
2= no
In Boolean SAT, you have a list of variables (A,B,C,D,E,...) that can each be either true or false. You also have a 'sentence' or equation that describes the relationship. The problem is essentially a yes/no question, ie 'is there some set of assignments for the variables that causes the sentence to evaluate to TRUE?' That's the NP Complete version. The NP Equivalent version (iow, the functional problem) is 'what set of assignments for the original variables will cause the sentence to evaluate to TRUE?'

In general, you work left to right, though parentheses and NOTs are evaluated first. And it's taken step by step. So 'A OR B' is replaced by TRUE if either A or B is TRUE, and FALSE otherwise. 'A AND B' is replaced by TRUE if A and B are both TRUE, and FALSE otherwise. 'NOT A' becomes TRUE when A is FALSE, and FALSE when A is TRUE.

Something like (TRUE OR TRUE OR FALSE) AND ((FALSE OR TRUE) AND (FALSE OR NOT TRUE)) goes:

(TRUE OR TRUE OR FALSE) AND ((FALSE OR TRUE) AND (FALSE OR FALSE))

(TRUE OR TRUE OR FALSE) AND (TRUE AND FALSE)

(TRUE OR FALSE) AND FALSE

TRUE AND FALSE

FALSE

So, we'll have one variable for each yes/no choice (that can be either TRUE or FALSE). Using just your variables, the statement SHOULDIGETATATTOO= NOT A AND NOT (B AND (C OR NOT C))

That last part can be simplified a bit (since if your friends are egging you on, it doesn't matter if they are laughing or not), but it isn't necessary to do so.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Elder

Quote:
TU seems like it would be less confusing.

In Boolean SAT, you have a list of variables (A,B,C,D,E,...) that can each be either true or false. You also have a 'sentence' or equation that describes the relationship. The problem is essentially a yes/no question, ie 'is there some set of assignments for the variables that causes the sentence to evaluate to TRUE?' That's the NP Complete version. The NP Equivalent version (iow, the functional problem) is 'what set of assignments for the original variables will cause the sentence to evaluate to TRUE?'

In general, you work left to right, though parentheses and NOTs are evaluated first. And it's taken step by step. So 'A OR B' is replaced by TRUE if either A or B is TRUE, and FALSE otherwise. 'A AND B' is replaced by TRUE if A and B are both TRUE, and FALSE otherwise. 'NOT A' becomes TRUE when A is FALSE, and FALSE when A is TRUE.

Something like (TRUE OR TRUE OR FALSE) AND ((FALSE OR TRUE) AND (FALSE OR NOT TRUE)) goes:

(TRUE OR TRUE OR FALSE) AND ((FALSE OR TRUE) AND (FALSE OR FALSE))

(TRUE OR TRUE OR FALSE) AND (TRUE AND FALSE)

(TRUE OR FALSE) AND FALSE

TRUE AND FALSE

FALSE

So, we'll have one variable for each yes/no choice (that can be either TRUE or FALSE). Using just your variables, the statement SHOULDIGETATATTOO= NOT A AND NOT (B AND (C OR NOT C))

That last part can be simplified a bit (since if your friends are egging you on, it doesn't matter if they are laughing or not), but it isn't necessary to do so.
I was working on that little bit assuming that 8th could then be added on to. I.e. It would flow from there. Damn, I hate being bad at things!