art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Discussion 03/2012 - 10/2015
User Name
Password

Old 08-27-2015, 12:45 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone a baseball fan?

Thought a lighter thread would be welcome.

The Mets are killing it, the Giants and Dodgers look to be destined to decide the winner of the division on the last day of the season (which I just think is awesome. Nothing gets my Giants going like an elimination game), and the NL Central is insane. I never liked Matheny much, but holy shit, he's built a hell of an organization. Lacks the class of SF, but what are you gonna do.

SF just beat the Cubs, who are like 8 games behind the Cardinals, but still ahead of the Dodgers and Mets. They really earned their spot in the playoffs. Which, they obviously have right now, but it's only August.

Oh, and the AL is also playing...
Old 08-27-2015, 12:50 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Thought a lighter thread would be welcome.

The Mets are killing it, the Giants and Dodgers look to be destined to decide the winner of the division on the last day of the season (which I just think is awesome. Nothing gets my Giants going like an elimination game), and the NL Central is insane. I never liked Matheny much, but holy shit, he's built a hell of an organization. Lacks the class of SF, but what are you gonna do.

SF just beat the Cubs, who are like 8 games behind the Cardinals, but still ahead of the Dodgers and Mets. They really earned their spot in the playoffs. Which, they obviously have right now, but it's only August.

Oh, and the AL is also playing...
Baseball? That's like cricket yeah? Jolly!

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 08-27-2015, 12:51 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
I just hope Sodas isn't from LA, or there will never be peace...
Old 08-27-2015, 02:31 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default I'm still hopeful

...for a Back to the Future II Cubs sweep of the World Series.

Technically, while from Chicago, I haven't really been following baseball since I played baseball as a kid. In fact, I can't remember the last time I watched a full baseball game on television...but I can imagine myself doing so if the Cubs get closer.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post

Technically, while from Chicago, I haven't really been following baseball since I played baseball as a kid. In fact, I can't remember the last time I watched a full baseball game on television...but I can imagine myself doing so if the Cubs get closer.
Likewise. I played as a kid, but I haven't sat through an entire game, or really thought about baseball, in years. I miss it. I should definitely try to get back into it, although it's difficult - especially considering my Expos are no more, and have been for some time. Hopefully we'll manage to bring them back.

How 'bout them Blue Jays, eh?

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
The Mets are killing it,
For now. They will find some new and creative way to totally destroy all the goodwill they've built up over the last month./
Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
For now. They will find some new and creative way to totally destroy all the goodwill they've built up over the last month./
Its not like they have a history of massive choke jobs or anything. Other than 2007, 2008...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of "passing first base", "passing second base" and so forth. It is not really difficult to imagine what "being a baseball fan" means to Americans.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Oh, they absolutely will. Though they're still ahead of the Nationals. And I like to see them do well, I see them as sort of a sister team to the Giants. And they gave us Pagan. They actually are very good about sharing talent with other teams, lol.

Still, following SF was torture for fifty years. Now they are biannual champions (and, for the first odd year since 03, serious contenders). The Mets are bound to get it right eventually. Or at least get lucky. You may need to see some changes in the front office first though. We have Bochy and Sabean, and some of the best coaches any team has ever had. Even when we sucked, we had Dusty Baker.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
Likewise. I played as a kid, but I haven't sat through an entire game, or really thought about baseball, in years. I miss it. I should definitely try to get back into it, although it's difficult - especially considering my Expos are no more, and have been for some time. Hopefully we'll manage to bring them back.

How 'bout them Blue Jays, eh?
I haven't paid attention to be ball since hockey came back to Ottawa. I'm still waiting for the Toronto team to choke.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

#LetsGoMets! #hatersgonnahate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post

Wouldn't that be something?

Quote:
Oh, they absolutely will. Though they're still ahead of the Nationals. And I like to see them do well, I see them as sort of a sister team to the Giants. And they gave us Pagan. They actually are very good about sharing talent with other teams, lol.

Still, following SF was torture for fifty years. Now they are biannual champions (and, for the first odd year since 03, serious contenders). The Mets are bound to get it right eventually. Or at least get lucky. You may need to see some changes in the front office first though. We have Bochy and Sabean, and some of the best coaches any team has ever had. Even when we sucked, we had Dusty Baker.
Ramirez and Torres were just horrendous for the Mets. But Wheeler turned out to not be so bad :P

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 08-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
I haven't paid attention to be ball since hockey came back to Ottawa. I'm still waiting for the Toronto team to choke.
The Jays were doing really well, nipping at the heels of the Yankees for a while. Haven't looked since (I'm frankly more anxious for hockey to start back up right now), but I think they're still doing pretty well.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
The Jays were doing really well, nipping at the heels of the Yankees for a while. Haven't looked since (I'm frankly more anxious for hockey to start back up right now), but I think they're still doing pretty well.
Toronto is still still on top of the AL East. I love baseball, but I have to admit, I follow it closer when the Tigers are doing well. Sad that the window has closed on their chances. I was a bit too young to really remember the Tigers winning in '84, but I do remember going to a lot of Tigers' games as a kid in the late 80s. then they completely fell apart for most of the 90s. Then the recent stretch - so many consecutive playoff runs, but always coming up short.

At least college football season is starting soon, though I think Michigan is at least another year away from righting that ship...
Old 08-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

I joined a fantasy baseball league run by Sini one year. I hadn't a clue. Let the draft work automatically and managed to get a good team. I rarely looked at it bit nearly made the playoffs.

Fun times!

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 08-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
It's actually more like rounders. Which as we all know is for girls*.

*Says the guy who always used to prefer rounders to cricket at school...

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 08-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:

The Mets have just been crushed by bad ownership. I know Omar Minaya took a ton of flak, some of it deserved, but it can't be denied that he helped turned the Mets and SNY into more of a financial powerhouse than they had been. And while a lot of the criticism was directed at his, um... preference for Latino players, I think that was probably a smart branding move as well. They just got stuck with bad coaches and bad luck.

I think Sandy Alderson is brilliant, however, and Terry Collins is the right guy for this team. Maybe in two or three years, when the young guys are vets and the team knows its own rhythms, they can bring in a more dynamic coach, but right now the steady hand is the most valuable thing.

But seriously... f**k the Wilpons.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Minaya honestly wasn't the big issue with the Mets, he was just a frontman for the owners. He didnt really have much authority the last few years and it was an open secret that he basically held the title and nothing more. Amaro in Philly is in a very similar position with Gillick running things behind the scenes as Team President and now Andy MacPhail coming as part of their transition...that's a big part of why their FO started to make sense again after the idiotic 2008-2013 moves that Rube made driving a powerhouse with a great farm coming off a WS win into the ground better than that suicidal pilot did in the Alps a couple months ago.

The Mets getting destroyed financially by the Madoff scandal basically turned them into a mid-market club for the better part of a decade too so they were artifically weakened on top of that series of bad moves by ownership*. Alderson is one of the best baseball minds in the business (I'd only put a handful of guys like maybe Dombrowski, Gillick and/or Beane ahead of him)...though on Beane, that Josh Donaldson trade has to be haunting him at this point...ouch.

*Sidenote here on bad moves by ownership...deferring Bonilla's contract over a decade and paying him through infinity seemed like such a great move at the time for them because they were averaging a 12% annual return thanks to their brilliant financial advisor Bernie Madoff....oops.

Still, as a Phillies fan without much to hold onto, I'll still make fun of that decision as well as the 2007 and 2008 collapses that gave my team the division each time and a WS in 2008. HAHAHAHA!!!

Oh, and I hope the Mets stadium implodes with them in it...especially David Wright.***

***Comment not meant to be taken seriously...that implosion might hurt some innocent workers in and around the stadium and not just evil Mets players.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 08-28-2015, 11:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I joined a fantasy baseball league run by Sini one year. I hadn't a clue. Let the draft work automatically and managed to get a good team. I rarely looked at it bit nearly made the playoffs.

Fun times!
I'm in a couple Fantasy Baseball (FBB) leagues for fun (read: money) and in one of them, the guy who has literally made ZERO moves all year for his roster is winning his division by 55 games right now and has the best overall record by like 45 games (Its a category scoring league, not points if that helps for those that do fantasy sports).

His team is basically the 1927 Yankees of Fantasy Baseball...its insane.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I'm in a couple Fantasy Baseball (FBB) leagues for fun (read: money) and in one of them, the guy who has literally made ZERO moves all year for his roster is winning his division by 55 games right now and has the best overall record by like 45 games (Its a category scoring league, not points if that helps for those that do fantasy sports).

His team is basically the 1927 Yankees of Fantasy Baseball...its insane.
Who does he have?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Elder

Default The Phillies are generous too...