art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Time Travel

It's been a while since I've read work on Time Travel and WoT, but this individual on Tor.com mentions that it is not possible to travel backwards in Time in the RW or "Main Reality" and I can't remember if we ever discounted the possibility entirely assuming the Wheel is intact. I haven't had time to think through the metaphysical mechanisms fully, but thought I'd ask while I think it through.

http://www.tor.com/2015/09/02/is-tim...wheel-of-time/

I did a general search through the interview database and didn't find anything that was useful, other than a balefire answer which isn't what is meant by traveling backwards in time.

One possibility to consider: if it is possible, your thread would not be rewoven in as a second thread. It would exist outside of the control of the Pattern.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for starters: do Gateways really only work in (three) fixed spatial dimensions?
If so, then Newton was right and Einstein was wrong.

1. If not, then that means that if a channeller knows what she is doing, then she would be able to not just travel through space but also through time, or, more accurately: through space-time. Which would mean time travel, for all practical purposes, since otherwise she would end up somewhere in space where Earth isn't any more (or not yet, depending on her direction in time).

1B. Then there is *finnland, with its different time. As soon as you have two (or more) time lines, you have the possibility of setting up loops in time. So if you knew what you were doing, you could use *finnland to go back to the past. Though you may occasionally get eaten halfway along your journey, of course.

2.Balefire as it is is indeed not a good way for travelling to the past.
However, its very existence suggests that there is some kind of principle behind it. And this principle might offer another way of going back in time. Or perhaps it would turn out that it is the same thing behind the Gateways I mentioned earlier.

3. In dealing with the DO, the author of that link really goes off the rails. He overlooks the possibility that the DO could create a localised "reverse time area", despite reminding us that the DO's influence on time depends on location.
Of course, turning the DO into a proper tourist travel agency wouldn't be trivial, so I'll leave that up to the readers for now.

4. The Portal Stone discussion totally fails to impress. If you do go from "our reality" to a "sub reality" with one PS and then move back using another PS, then there is no obvious reason at all why both those PSs should be linked to our ordinary time. If the second one is linked to, say, a thousand years earlier, then you would be travelling almost a thousand years into the past each time you went through that loop.
So why didn't that happen to Rand et al? Because it didn't suit RJ to deal with such unnecessary complications.
Why couldn't it happen with other PSs? No reason it couldn't, so we should assume that it is possible.

Edited to add: My signature suggests that I'm defending the wrong position here.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Ancient

Hugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of light
Default Who is Tamyrlin

I think he is a bot, someone should remove this thread as spam....
Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably worth asking what you mean by time travel. To what purpose?

If it's merely to relive a moment or period in one's past (without changing it), there is the Zara board. A period in any past may be 'viewable' with the right equipment. If it's to bring a version of yourself to your current place and time that had experience with the events in your immediate future, it may be possible to bring in a 'self' from a mirror world that had been exposed to some sort of Foretelling analogue.

If it's to alter the past, you could probably just travel to a mirror world whose history unfolded in the target manner (locating such a world may be substantially harder than getting to it).

It may even be possible to 'force' a mirror world to replace the primary world.

It is also possible that a device could be constructed (something on a scale similar to the Portal Stone network or the Columns at Rhuidean) that essentially regulates the speed time is experienced by the local world, with many discrete parts that can be balefired in a specific manner that retroactively changes the speed everyone experienced time at (since it seems only the balefirer really 'remembers' the alternate reality, it would be as if you traveled back in time by retroactively slowing down the local rate).

And, since Time is a Wheel, you might just be able to camp out in a mirror world or vacuole until the target time comes around again.

Parallel worlds apparently still experience Time as a Wheel, and given the fact that certain worlds are in contact in some Ages but not others, it seems 'parallel' is a bit of a misnomer, it's closer to overlapping circles. Time probably moves 'counterclockwise' and 'clockwise' (in a relative sense) for any pair of communicating worlds. In this way, it's more like a set of gears: while the worlds are in contact, time moves parallel (more or less) to both worlds, and in the same direction. When the worlds are out of contact, time moves parallel but in opposite directions. And at the points of 'first' and 'last' contact (obviously in want of better descriptors), the local times move perpendicular to one another. It is because of the nature of this cross-section that I think the Aelfinn can essentially 'read' the future: there is a point in the relative past for one that is in the future for the other, and vice versa. And it may be possible that every iteration of the Age containing these points is 'visible' at the intersection. And, perhaps, at these points it is possible to move to any instance of the parallel world. So, if you could survive in the parallel world long enough, and again in the world of origin, (we're talking almost a full rotation of the Wheel amount of time) it may be possible to go back in time to an earlier point in a specific instance of a given Age.

ETA:
I like the massive time regulating device best, because it doesn't technically allow you to travel back in time, but has an almost identical effect.

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 09-02-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default What about the Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
1B. Then there is *finnland, with its different time. As soon as you have two (or more) time lines, you have the possibility of setting up loops in time. So if you knew what you were doing, you could use *finnland to go back to the past. Though you may occasionally get eaten halfway along your journey, of course.
Finnland does offer a possibility of physics that may be foreign enough to offer solution to time travel that doesn't by necessity have to follow RW physics, though it is not explicitly stated. Which brings up the idea of somehow using Perpendicular worlds to make it happen.

Quote:
2.Balefire as it is is indeed not a good way for travelling to the past.
However, its very existence suggests that there is some kind of principle behind it. And this principle might offer another way of going back in time. Or perhaps it would turn out that it is the same thing behind the Gateways I mentioned earlier.
Agreed. Also, balefire does suggest that such an event would not necessitate that the Pattern would be destroyed if it were to occur. That it does have a mechanism in place to deal with time/space disturbances.

Quote:
4. The Portal Stone discussion totally fails to impress. If you do go from "our reality" to a "sub reality" with one PS and then move back using another PS, then there is no obvious reason at all why both those PSs should be linked to our ordinary time. If the second one is linked to, say, a thousand years earlier, then you would be travelling almost a thousand years into the past each time you went through that loop.
So why didn't that happen to Rand et al? Because it didn't suit RJ to deal with such unnecessary complications.
Why couldn't it happen with other PSs? No reason it couldn't, so we should assume that it is possible.

Edited to add: My signature suggests that I'm defending the wrong position here.
I agree the Portal Stones section didn't expand on the many possibilities that they represent for time travel.

And the author failed to address T'A'R, GOI and traveling to the unseen "worlds" in the flesh, which also offer possibilities.

I think the best case against it would be the ability that the Wheel has to control threads, its "super AI" characteristics, and such. I'd imagine it would prevent such from being possible considering the chaos that could ensue. Though, perhaps it could also be looked at as a super corrective mechanism, akin to a superhero.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Lord of the Board

Default Right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh the Hand View Post
I think he is a bot, someone should remove this thread as spam....
Clearly a Tor.com bot trying to push traffic to their website.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Lord of the Board

Default Tor Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
If it's to alter the past, you could probably just travel to a mirror world whose history unfolded in the target manner (locating such a world may be substantially harder than getting to it). It may even be possible to 'force' a mirror world to replace the primary world.
I think it is the alter the past question the author of that article is really trying to address. Btw, I like the idea of forcing a mirror world, but I feel like that would require some serious breakdown of the Wheel/Pattern in order for that to happen.

Without the DO warping the Pattern, is it possible to travel backwards in the same Turning and then change the Pattern already woven? And if so, would you be a new thread? Would the Pattern weave and reweave what is already woven, or would you be unable to change anything, like a ghost or such where the Wheel rejects every act because the weave is too strong to unravel.

Quote:
And, since Time is a Wheel, you might just be able to camp out in a mirror world or vacuole until the target time comes around again.
I think the author posed a similar solution, but it wouldn't really be specific event of time travel that interests me most: the literal going back in the same Turning.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

I always hated the idea of Perpendicular worlds. It's almost like the multiverse theory: maybe it's true (or maybe they exist), but we'll never know.

If they do exist, they may function almost like wormholes. I do not think they would ever 'recur', in a sense (iow, we encounter Sindhol every Turning, we may encounter Perpendicular World #76433 in only one). On the off chance that they intersect Randland a second time, it may be possible to travel between two points in (local) time, though only in one direction. Of course, predicting where and when such intersections occur may be all but impossible, and predicting where you end up may be even harder.

Gateways have limits even in the spatial dimensions, so while it may be possible to Travel back in time, anything more than a few seconds may be all but impossible (just look at the strength of balefire vs the amount of time a thread is burned in the past).
Old 09-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
Without the DO warping the Pattern, is it possible to travel backwards in the same Turning and then change the Pattern already woven?
I didn't know this thread was restricted to the article's question. In any case, see the time-regulating device. It would have to be in place already, obviously, and it seems like a one-shot thing (unless the Flame weave can replace parts retroactively). The balefirer's thread would basically have a long loop of slack at the point the balefire was used, as if all the other threads were cut to a point in the past and the one thread was woven back in to the point of cutting.

ETA: In a technical sense, you would retroactively declare some 'past' just a prescient vision.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Elder

The structure of such a time-regulating device would essentially be a series of balefire ter'angreal firing on a schedule, each blocked by a sheet of cuendillar held in place by a balefireable substance (along with 'something' that speeds up the local world's flow of time). So firing at one point will retroactively cause one other stream of balefire to not be blocked by cuendillar when it was fired, which triggers another, and so on.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Lord of the Board

Default Time-regulating device

Quote:
I didn't know this thread was restricted to the article's question.
Didn't mean to suggest it was restricted, just not the particular time travel question I'm focused on atm.

Quote:
In any case, see the time-regulating device. It would have to be in place already, obviously, and it seems like a one-shot thing (unless the Flame weave can replace parts retroactively). The balefirer's thread would basically have a long loop of slack at the point the balefire was used, as if all the other threads were cut to a point in the past and the one thread was woven back in to the point of cutting.

ETA: In a technical sense, you would retroactively declare some 'past' just a prescient vision.

The structure of such a time-regulating device would essentially be a series of balefire ter'angreal firing on a schedule, each blocked by a sheet of cuendillar held in place by a balefireable substance (along with 'something' that speeds up the local world's flow of time). So firing at one point will retroactively cause one other stream of balefire to not be blocked by cuendillar when it was fired, which triggers another, and so on.
Damn. I want to understand this device...but I'm having a hard time imagining it.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Lord of the Board

Default And of course the theory about Aviendha's Gateway

I don't recall fighting for or against this theory of time traveling, but it is pertinent to the discussion.

http://13depository.blogspot.com/200...s-gateway.html
Old 09-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
Damn. I want to understand this device...but I'm having a hard time imagining it.
Suppose Gitara Moroso wanted to give the Dragon a possible 'do-over' of two months, so she builds some device that starts to accelerate the flow of time within the world (so, like the opposite of just massively accerating the planet). Obviously I don't know if such a thing is possible, but given the variable rate of flow worlds experience relative to one another, it's not outside the realm of possibility. So, where a one degree (or some other measure) turn of the Wheel would normally result in 10 years passing in Randland, now it's one hundred years (or the appropriate speedup for the desired effect). So, Rand could later balefire the device back one tiny fraction of a degree back in time, which would have the effect of the Wheel, while turning the same amount, only pushing Randland at the normal speed for the length of 'absolute' time removed by balefire (while keeping the accelerated rate before). So, everyone else would only have lived their lives up to the point they had at some point in the past, while Rand would (hopefully) remember everything that happened at the accelerated rate.

ETA: It's probably worth noting that I have no idea how something like this would affect other worlds (while it seems they can and do experience time differently, any contact presumably needs some sort of relative sense of locality). It's possible that the Aelfinn might find themselves answering questions to an empty room, or an Ogier vanishing from his world if he traveled there during the removed period.

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 09-02-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

There's also the matter of skimming. While not as fast as traveling, you bore a hole into somewhere where your transport (whatever it is) is determined by the channeler's personality and size by power level. And it moves across long distances in very quick times.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
There's also the matter of skimming. While not as fast as traveling, you bore a hole into somewhere where your transport (whatever it is) is determined by the channeler's personality and size by power level. And it moves across long distances in very quick times.
But time still moves in the skimming space, and in the same direction. Even if time travel is theoretically 'possible' in such a space, you will still have a sort of 'temporal momentum' that has to be counteracted (and, barring someone sitting on his barge with a 'finder' weave on him just sitting around waiting until you go back for him...idk how you correct for it in a general sense).
Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

And what about traveling through Tel'aran'rhiod? Time moves differently there, as well.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
And what about traveling through Tel'aran'rhiod? Time moves differently there, as well.
Surely temporal momentum is at least as big a problem here? If you do it without entering bodily, part of you is being dragged forward, and any 'extratemporal' effects manifest as Dreaming analogues. Entering bodily may free you from one issue, but it only reinforces the other: momentum. And you don't even have the advantage of an 'uncomplicated' universe, like the Skimming space. T'A'R may, via context alone (ie, you won't see dinosaurs when you enter), strictly enforce the conservation of temporal momentum.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you search the interview database, you'll find RJ squashed the idea of time running backwards in T'A'R.

"Time runs at a variable rate, but you will never leave T'A'R before you entered." -- owtte

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:41 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Given the cyclical nature of the Wheel, it might be possible to achieve something that would be functionally the same as travelling backwards in time simply by moving far enough forwards in time. If one were to move slightly less than seven ages forwards through time, one would presumably arrive at a point that would be similar enough to one's recent past to functionally simulate travelling backwards. Necessarily, the age that the traveller arrived at would be just slightly different from the one they left, given the way the Wheel deviates over time, but probably not so much that it would be noticeable or consequential.

The problem with that is that the other limitations of how the Wheel works would probably necessitate the traveller "failing" in whatever it was they were trying to do, and their seven ages later counterpart having to go "back" (actually forwards) again ad infinitum. But that simply resolves the paradoxes of time travel; it's not necessarily an argument against its existence.

There are a variety of different ways one could manage this, from a very carefully hidden stasis box to creative use of a vacuole to manipulation of TAR in some way. Theoretically, it appears to be possible.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 09-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you search the interview database, you'll find RJ squashed the idea of time running backwards in T'A'R.

"Time runs at a variable rate, but you will never leave T'A'R before you entered." -- owtte
Is that with respect to Olver? The Heroes may be more tightly bound to 'realtime' than some random Dreamwalker. I still think 'momentum' is a not insignificant problem, but that's not to say someone couldn't 'kick off' something 'real' brought to TAR when the relative rates of time's passage were different.

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 09-02-2015 at 10:55 PM.