art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-01-2015, 06:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Was Gawyn a bastard?

I haven't really managed to figure out whether he is older than Rand or not. If he is, then Tigraine was still alive when he was born, which would probably mean that Taringail's marriage to Morgase wasn't valid at the time.

Of course, with both Gawyn and Elaine, their mother was more important than the father, so it wouldn't have had many legal repercussions.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I haven't really managed to figure out whether he is older than Rand or not. If he is, then Tigraine was still alive when he was born, which would probably mean that Taringail's marriage to Morgase wasn't valid at the time.

Of course, with both Gawyn and Elaine, their mother was more important than the father, so it wouldn't have had many legal repercussions.
Don't think the concept of bastards exists in WoT. Elayne's kids are not bastards, and the vast majority of Andor doesn't even know who the father is. I don't think Gawyn technically being a bastard wpuld have mattered to anyone.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Generally, it tends to matter when it comes to inheriting noble titles. Which is why it matters less for Elayne, since she is her mother's heir anyway.

True, by getting himself killed before spawning any offspring Gawyn somewhat mooted the point too, but I'm willing to generously overlook that detail for the sake of this discussion.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Youngling

Boli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really nice

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

a few highlights:

972: Galahad born, Tigraine heads off into the waste, Morgase marries Taringail

976-978: Aiel War

so there is more of a gap than the books let on with a first cursory read.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

The important thing in that timeline is that it says that Gawyn was born in 979 NE, thus in the year after Tigraine died and Taringail was actually free to be legally married to Morgase. If correct, then the answer to my question is "no".

Which of course raises the next question: is it correct?
I haven't found any precise dating for Gawyn's birth, which is what sparked this thread in the first place. That, and rereading the bit where Gawyn tells Galad about his other brother.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Based on this quote and the chronology, Gawyn was older than Rand:

Quote:
Lord of Chaos CHAPTER: Prologue - The First Message
Gawyn himself, a few years past twenty, was among the oldest.
This was in late 999, and thus shortly before Rand turned twenty-one (he was born 1-Danu, 978). It indicates that Gawyn was born before 979 NE. Usually, "a few" would probably mean three to five, so a probably range of twenty-three to twenty-five, and a birth year range of 974*-976. I'm guessing he was born later than earlier though, based on Morgase's age and how busy she was trying to take the throne at the time, which she apparently won by around 975, after which she married Taringail.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon

Last edited by WinespringBrother; 10-02-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Would the marriage be valid at any point if Tigraine was still alive at the time of the ceremony?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Would the marriage be valid at any point if Tigraine was still alive at the time of the ceremony?
Just to muddle the situation further, Tigraine was going by Aiel customs at the time, where they have multiple spouses lol (though I don't recall if she actually married Janduin).

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

Old 10-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
Just to muddle the situation further, Tigraine was going by Aiel customs at the time, where they have multiple spouses lol (though I don't recall if she actually married Janduin).
She didn't. It's essential to the plot actually as she wouldn't have been Far Dareis Mai anymore and thus Rand wouldn't have been a son of one.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Youngling

C Rutherford is a jewel in the roughC Rutherford is a jewel in the roughC Rutherford is a jewel in the rough

We really do not have any idea how marriage laws work. But Tigraine could be considered having dissolved the marriage by heading into the Waste.

I also don't think there is the concept of bastardy anyhow as already mentioned.

But if the concept did exist then Elayne would also be one since the only marriage would be invalid in the making. So if it doesn't matter that Tigraine died since technically Morgase and Taringail never legally married.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

It is possible that Morgase as Queen had the authority to nullify Taringail's previous marriage by decree, since they had no proof one way or the other whether Tigraine was still alive. I'm sure that would have been considered at the time to make sure of the lines of succession for Gawyn and Elayne.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
She didn't. It's essential to the plot actually as she wouldn't have been Far Dareis Mai anymore and thus Rand wouldn't have been a son of one.
True. Though technically she was still married to Taringail anyway, so she broke her marriage vows by wedding her spear (ETA: unless she was legally divorced by that point by Morgase or some other party)

Old 10-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
A good question, but since we have no way at all of answering it, I decided to ignore it. Much simpler that way, you know.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
A good question, but since we have no way at all of answering it, I decided to ignore it. Much simpler that way, you know.
Assuming simplicity in legal questions is illogical gonzo.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

True, but on the other hand: it does work for Galad, so why shouldn't it work in this case?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
True, but on the other hand: it does work for Galad, so why shouldn't it work in this case?
Wasn't it one of the key points that it didn't work for him?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Well, yes, but he was the only one of the lot who definitely wasn't a bastard, so there's that.

Side question: was Taringail a blademaster?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

I don't recall any implication that he had any skill with any weapon whatsoever, though it has been quite a while since I did a reread.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

I think he went hunting and managed to get himself killed. Though whether that shows his own skill or someone else's may be debated.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think he went hunting and managed to get himself killed. Though whether that shows his own skill or someone else's may be debated.
Thom arranged that, remember. He seems to be an expert in arranging for hunting accidents. He did the same in Tear too. Gray Fox is a good name for him.