art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default TV series (new thread)

Real news, names and studios attached to the project. YAY!

Will they destroy that which I love most?

Right now, I don't care. I love this news. I love Wheel of Time. I love Theorylanders.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

I suppose we should get used to this forum becoming a lot more active in the coming years...
Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Youngling

Tedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to all

I hadn't been here in years, or over at RAFO, which I think was supposed to be the home for those of us from Wotmania.

It was a nice break. I've only read specific passages or sections of books... but then I saw a thread Terez made http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=8767
which was linked deep in a ASOIAF thread about why its taking GRRM so long to finish.. and just wow. (this was 3-4 days ago, how fortunate and then I didn't miss todays news!).

and really, almost everything I never understood about WoT was resolved in one swift moment. Somehow I missed the link to that thread on reddit (I check into r/wot once a week or so).

Everything about Demandred felt clunky, it was so obvious it was Taim, and whats wrong with that? For those of us here, it is probably obvious that R+L=J from ASOIAF is the truth, but not for a lot of other people.

Anyways I hope the series is entertaining, I have a ton of objections to changes for no real reason like we've gotten at times in ASOIAF (though I think the series has been fantastic for the most part), or say HP where Hermoine becomes the smartest AND streetsmartest when Ron was actually that in the books, which was a triagle that worked well.

I'm afraid that Egwene and Nynaeve will become one person, Siuan and Leane would become one, etc, but at least we will have some new stuff to pore over obsessively.

Maybe even something from the Notes that RJ wished had been different might BE different on the show, and we will get to learn that. Its nice to be back.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm cautiously optimistic...

This would probably work best as an Amazon show or a Netflix show...I wonder who they'll try to get to pick it up...network wise that is.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Elder

Sukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
Well, let's hope something comes of it, at least. Maybe they're giving out more details at Jordancon? If anyone's interested, this guy is apparently the writer/showrunner.
Hey, I remember that guy from Survivor. That was what, ten or eleven years ago? Now that dude is a writer/producer. Huh. We'll see how it goes. I'm not expecting to be blown away by it, though.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post

This would probably work best as an Amazon show or a Netflix show...I wonder who they'll try to get to pick it up...network wise that is.
Netflix would make a lot of sense, but I still think considering the length and the number of characters, that anything but animated would be very hard to pull off well. I'm not sure though (and a quick look at wikipedia for Sony Television subsidiaries isn't particularly illuminating on possibilities) if Sony's involvement gives much of a hint though on distribution. The wikipedia bio on the survivor dude (Rafe Judkins) that apparently is, at least at present, perhaps the main writer for this is not even remotely encouraging.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Sony has recently teamed up with AMC a lot. But unless AMC is ready to up its typical per episode budget, WoT will be doomed to mediocrity at best.

There were some rumors about Amazon. They must surely know how popular the books are, so there's a chance they'll pick it up. Apparently Sony has produced some shows for Amazon, so it isn't impossible.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

And far as I'm concerrned, it could be the best thing that ever happened to us or the worst. There is no in between. So I am simultaneously full of hope and dread.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 04-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
The wikipedia bio on the survivor dude (Rafe Judkins) that apparently is, at least at present, perhaps the main writer for this is not even remotely encouraging.
I forget where, but I read in one of the articles today that he's a big WoT fan. So there's that, at least.

The producers/writers presumably know that this has to be something comparable to GoT, or even Shannara Chronicles, to even have a chance of working. Unless they don't really believe in it and they're just hoping to cash in on season 1. I guess we just have to hope they recognize the potential here. WoT can be every bit as successful as GoT...as long as they're willing to do it right.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:24 PM
Youngling

Quote:

The producers/writers presumably know that this has to be something comparable to GoT, or even Shannara Chronicles, to even have a chance of working. Unless they don't really believe in it and they're just hoping to cash in on season 1. I guess we just have to hope they recognize the potential here. WoT can be every bit as successful as GoT...as long as they're willing to do it right.
I think in today's TV landscape, a single season followed by cancellation is very low yielding. You want multiple seasons to build up ad buys, and merchandizing, and reruns...

I agree WoT lends itself very well to success IF they play it right. We'll have to see.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I forget where, but I read in one of the articles today that he's a big WoT fan. So there's that, at least.
So are we, and while we all should want someone who loves the source material, let's be blunt...

Quote:
After Survivor, Judkins moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in screenwriting. With his writing partner and best friend, Lauren LeFranc, he was staffed on the short-lived Christian Slater drama, My Own Worst Enemy. After that, he and Lauren were hired on the third season of Chuck.[2][3] Their episodes included Chuck Versus the Tic Tac,[2] Chuck Versus the Honeymooners,[2] Chuck Versus the First Fight, Chuck Versus the Push Mix, and the first of half of the series finale Chuck Versus Sarah. After a stint on "Hemlock Grove" they are now writing for Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.[4] On April 20, 2017, it was announced that Judkins would be writing the television adapatation of The Wheel of Time.[5]
...this is not an impressive cv. Mind you, it's possible that I am somewhat blinded here by a contempt for Survivor, but this does not even seem a mediocre cv. It doesn't inspire an impression that Sony has serious intentions here, nor intentions for the type of investment that would be needed to make this what it should be. This kid seems like the type of person one would hire to write the same sort of nonsense that was hidden within an infomercial timeslot. He seems like the type of kid that one would pay a few thousand bucks, and tell him to throw something together to air at 1:30 am on fxx so that you don't lose your filming rights.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

I was really hyped back when Harriet released the news that the rights were bought, but now I'm struggling to care.

Guess that's a good thing since it means low expectations.
Pretty sure that nothing short of HBO picking it up as the GoT follow-up can do it justice anyway.

Also a bit miffed that Red Eagle is still mentioned as being involved in some capacity or other.

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 04-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Sony has recently teamed up with AMC a lot. But unless AMC is ready to up its typical per episode budget, WoT will be doomed to mediocrity at best.

There were some rumors about Amazon. They must surely know how popular the books are, so there's a chance they'll pick it up. Apparently Sony has produced some shows for Amazon, so it isn't impossible.
The Walking Dead is a great example of AMC's awfulness. Its easily the highest rated cable show and their budgets per season have always been a joke...as shown by the awful CGI and multiple bottle episodes each year despite only having 16 episodes a season.

AMC=Always More Commercials

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Also a bit miffed that Red Eagle is still mentioned as being involved in some capacity or other.
Listed as Executive Producers no less...just awful to think about.

I agree with Brita overall...it could be awesome or it could be absolutely awful...with likely no middle ground.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

I've been thinking about it, and the only viable option I can come up with is for them to hire every member of Theoryland as creative consultants and move us all into a mansion in Hollywood or wherever for the next 10 years. And an annual salary of $200,000. And cameo appearances as innkeepers and servants. But I don't see any other way they can do this right.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
The wikipedia bio on the survivor dude (Rafe Judkins) that apparently is, at least at present, perhaps the main writer for this is not even remotely encouraging.
Harriet told us at the directors' dinner the other night that she requested him and she thinks he's the best possible person for the job because of his longtime love for the series. I'm personally still not expecting much, for several reasons having nothing to do with that, but at least that's one positive note.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post

Depends on how true you want to keep the series. What might be the most "successful" is if you go HBO and up the adult content. You could even keep Elayne's bath scenes in for the nudity.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Depends on how true you want to keep the series. What might be the most "successful" is if you go HBO and up the adult content. You could even keep Elayne's bath scenes in for the nudity.
It doesn't need gratuitous nudity to be successful, and there isn't any "adult" content in the first book that wouldn't be gratuitous. I'm more worried about the quality of the writing (and this kid does not inspire confidence, it sounds like he just knew the right people to open a door, and, more importantly, BS apparently wasn't interested in doing it himself), the quality of the acting (this is one obvious way in which being on HBO or Netflix would allay many concerns, as either venue would mean sufficient investment), and the quality of the sets and channeling (wherein HBO again would obviously be the most re-assuring in terms of financing). That and I worry about drastic curtailing of storylines and the excising/condensing characters - i.e. do they decide to combine Min, Elaine, and Aviendha into one character.

Still, at least the first book carries the benefit of a relatively small number of characters, and a comparatively simplistic way in which channeling would need to be shown. So, if successful, they would not need to really expand the budget until season two to deal with the expanded complexities of tGH compared to tEotW. I still think that it will be difficult to convince established actors and actresses to commit to a project that if successful should last a decade and drastically limit other options in their career.

Those problems could all be adequately solved by using animation and voice actors instead. I'd be much more enthusiastic if the reveal was that the partner was say Disney, Ghibli, or KyoAni.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

They would have to and should definitely drastically reduce the number of secondary and tertiary characters and plot lines. Definitely get rid of things like the Black Ajah search and other things like that. Treat it like a 6-7 book series rather than the 14 books. The first 5-6 books won't be so bad to streamline but after that, it snowballs rather quickly.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Youngling

Among secondary plots to cut, I think the Black Ajah hunt has a lot more promise than something like the Shaido. I don't think they should cut the Shaido entirely, but Faile being kidnapped and rescued should be one season-long, at most. Similarly, I would curb Elayne's struggle for the throne a lot more.

As for Min, Elayne and Aviendha being combined into one... I don't want that. But I'm also unsure how the whole "three women fall for one guy" thing will play out on screen.