art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm ashamed to admit that Ben Carson and I share the same alma mater...

Hopefully this is just a phase, like their brief flirtation with Herman Cain during the last cycle, but it is terrifying that Carson has even risen to become the current front runner in the Republican field.

He is not merely boring. He is not merely a compulsive liar (most recently seen with his West Point claims walk back). He is not merely a proponent of awful and dangerous ideas - that is every Republican.

He is dangerously incompetent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...im-some-votes/

Quote:
On Wednesday, a 17-year-old video surfaced of Ben Carson claiming that the Old Testament figure Joseph built the Egyptian pyramids to store food.

“My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain,” Carson said in a 1998 commencement speech at Andrews University, unearthed by BuzzFeed. “Now all the archaeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big — when you stop and think about it, and I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time — to store that much grain.”
And just in case there was any doubt, that perhaps this was just a mere youthful and temporary insanity. No.

Quote:
Carson confirmed to CBS Wednesday night that he still believes Joseph built the pyramids as granaries
Perhaps this shouldn't be a surprise. After all, we've long known that he denies evolution, but the pyramids? This seems an even more disturbing and egregious example of cognitive dissonance. Trump at least seems calculating and clever in his demagoguery. He is a bombastic schmuck, but at least he does not seem, like Carson, a candidate drawn from the cast of Ancient Aliens.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

The republican candidates are really starting to freak me out. They all have huge fatal flaws that would be downright scary in the Oval Office.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 11-07-2015, 12:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

So basically Carson just played sid meier's civilization. In the earlier games building the Pyramids wonder gave you a free granary in all your other cities. Wouldn't really want a ruler who has trouble with the difference between a computer game and reality. Even if the game in question is bloody good.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-07-2015, 03:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Hopefully this is just a phase, like their brief flirtation with Herman Cain during the last cycle, but it is terrifying that Carson has even risen to become the current front runner in the Republican field.
With the Republicans, "front runner" doesn't seem the right term. They remind me a lot more of the Ministry of Silly Walks than of Usain Bolt.

And yes, the pyramid thing is a bit wacky. But at least he doesn't think they were build by Noah, using dinosaurs for the heavy work, as some Creationists claim. So, as American right wingers go, he is a moderate.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
And yes, the pyramid thing is a bit wacky. But at least he doesn't think they were build by Noah, using dinosaurs for the heavy work, as some Creationists claim. So, as American right wingers go, he is a moderate.
This pyramid-granary nonsense apparently was not so much a personal theory cooked up independently by Carson, as plagiarized from earlier kooks...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34741010

Quote:
So where does this granary theory come from?
In the Old Testament, Joseph is sold into slavery in Egypt by his brothers, where he later interprets a pharaoh's dreams and helps the Egyptians survive a seven-year famine - by storing grain. There is no mention of pyramids in the Bible's version of the story but in the Middle Ages people started to write them into the story.

"If you go to St Mark's cathedral in Venice, there's a medieval depiction showing people using the three great pyramids of Giza as granaries in Joseph's story," says John Darnell, a professor of Egyptology at Yale University.
"If you didn't have access to the structures, the idea had some currency."

The belief was also popularised by Saint Gregory of Tours, a sixth century Frankish bishop, who wrote: "They are wide at the base and narrow at the top in order that the wheat might be cast into them through a tiny opening, and these granaries are to be seen to the present day."
I've been to St Mark's, and while I don't recall these pyramid scenes, I'll be back there this June, so I'll have to remember to look for them next time.

Never mind the fact that the Book Of Exodus (for which we have no corroborating archaeological or literary evidence from Egypt for any Israelite presence ever in Egypt let alone of an "exodus") dates to c. 1446 BC due to its reference of being 480 years before the construction of the Temple of Solomon, compared to Khufu's Pyramid (being near in date to all the others) was completed a thousand years earlier, in 2560 BC. Never mind that we know based upon archaeology what the use of these pyramids was. The main problem is that it represents another part of the trend - that evangelicals, like Carson, value their strict adherence to their claimed perfect historicity of the Bible over evidence to the contrary. Someone who is unwilling to reassess based upon new, and more reliable information, due to the obstinacy of their dogma strikes me personally as someone unqualified for office.

And is he really an outlier in their field? They may not all be crazy enough to believe this, but how many of them believe that the exodus actually happened, or that the Flood did, or that evolution was a lie propagated by the Devil?
Old 11-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

At first glance, Saint Gregory's idea may seem sensible. But then you start to wonder: once you've filled the things up with grain, how do you get it out again?
Old 11-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Ancient

Quote:
At first glance, Saint Gregory's idea may seem sensible. But then you start to wonder: once you've filled the things up with grain, how do you get it out again?
Well, obviously...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ihWxPL5eA
Old 11-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Ancient

In more wtf weirdness with Ben Carson...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34752580

Quote:
Usually a candidate faced with previously unrevealed evidence of youthful indiscretions - or worse - denies the charges. Such was the case with Republican nominee Mitt Romney in 2012, when reporters unearthed evidence that he bullied other students in high school.
Here, however, Mr Carson is asserting that recollections from childhood acquaintances that he was bookish and shy are mistaken. Instead he's testified to the veracity of examples of misbehaviour that he cites as evidence of his childhood temper, including that:
He tried to stab a "close relative" in the stomach and was unsuccessful only because his knife was blocked by a large belt buckle
His brother forcefully restrained him when he attacked his mother with a hammer during an argument over clothing
He punched a school classmate in the forehead, leaving the child bleeding profusely from a three-inch cut
He threw a rock at a boy's face, breaking his glasses and lacerating his nose

Mr Carson recounts these stories during speeches and in his autobiography as evidence that he was a misguided youth who only achieved success after a religious awakening. It's part of the narrative that has earned the renowned neurosurgeon a devoted following among the evangelical community for years and is one of the reasons why he has attracted strong support from voters in Iowa, a key battleground in the Republican nomination race.

A CNN report found no evidence backing up any of Mr Carson's claims, however - even those that Mr Carson said took place on school grounds. Mr Carson appeared on CNN Friday morning to defend himself, leading to a heated confrontation when network presenter Alisyn Camerota pressed him for further details.
"This is a bunch of lies attempting to say I'm lying about my history," Mr Carson said. "I think it's pathetic, and basically what the media does is they try to get you distracted."
Old 11-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
The republican candidates are really starting to freak me out. They all have huge fatal flaws that would be downright scary in the Oval Office.
And Hillary doesn't? Saying things that people don't agree with is better than compulsively lying like Clinton has.

It's been proven that Politico lied about Carson and West Point. The other stuff he's said is just controversial if you're an atheist.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Who is to say that Carson is wrong? We know he's wrong when he says that the pyramids weren't built for the pharaohs, but it's wrong to say that he's incorrect about the use for grain, because we don't know. It's plausible. The attacks on Carson come from atheists who have a beef with everything nowadays because they want attention.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
Who is to say that Carson is wrong? We know he's wrong when he says that the pyramids weren't built for the pharaohs, but it's wrong to say that he's incorrect about the use for grain, because we don't know. It's plausible. The attacks on Carson come from atheists who have a beef with everything nowadays because they want attention.
They've all been excavated. They weren't granaries. We have found some interesting burial items for use in the afterlife for the mummified pharaohs, but they clearly were not dual-use structures. There were no rooms set aside for the storage of grain. As for the West Point issue. Regardless of whether he ever met Westmoreland, he clearly never applied to West Point. He may think he would have gotten in (which would have automatically have meant full ride, since all who get accepted to West Point get that), which is not implausible considering he got into Yale, but that doesn't alter the fact that he never applied, and so never gave them the opportunity to make that decision.

His statements are being ridiculed for good reason - because they don't stand up against scrutiny. There are serious candidates available for you to vote for, like Rubio or Kasich. But it is disturbing that it is not they, but the amateurish clowns that are polling well.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
We do know about the pyramids though. They've been excavated and explored many times. And you know what? They are not hollow on the inside.
Here's an example with The Great Pyramid.

Not exactly the kind of place to store grain.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

deleted because there's waaaaaay too much stupid in this thread for my mental health, and i'm going to back away slowly so i don't get splashed by it.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram

Last edited by Frenzy; 11-07-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post

Not exactly the kind of place to store grain.
I don't know- perhaps grand gallery is just a mis- translation of "grain gallery".

And what colour is grain? An off yellow. Like a lot of that picture. Look between the lines Rand. #ancientaliens

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 11-08-2015, 03:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
What specific reason would Josef have had for starting to build a bunch of pyramids?

The things could not store anywhere near close to one tenth of one percent of what actual silos of the type the Egyptians already knew how to make with less effort could do.
The things would not keep the grain anywhere near as good as actual silos would. No way to keep the grain from spoiling, and vermin would find it very easy to enter through the large ground level, whereas silos could be placed on poles to keep the rats out.
It took a decade or more to build a large pyramide. So, if Josef started during the first of the good years, then he wouldn't be able to start storing grain in the pyramid until halfway through the bad years, at best. Whereas, if silos had been used, the work could have been done in a few months or less.

On top of that, there are the actual accounts of the actual Egyptians who actually build the pyramides telling us why they did it. Can you come up with a reason why they would have been plotting to make Carson out to a liar, 3,500 years after they themselves had died?

The simplest explanation by far is that Carson is simply wrong. If you want to assume that he was right, then you need to assume both that Joseph was an idiot, that all the Egyptian officials who were his rivals were also idiots who didn't see through his stupid idea, and that hundreds, maybe thousands, of Egyptians knew in advance precisely what lies to tell to deceive the atheists in a country they had never even heard of.
So, do you think it is reasonable to make those seemingly stupid assumptions, and if so, why?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And Hillary doesn't? Saying things that people don't agree with is better than compulsively lying like Clinton has.

It's been proven that Politico lied about Carson and West Point. The other stuff he's said is just controversial if you're an atheist.
Despite Breitbart and Foxnews saying that, that's not at all accurate. They changed the wording of their story with new details and actually showed that his dishonesty was worse than initially thought. But yeah, totally believe Breitbart there.

They changed the wording from "he admits fabricating West Point scholarship" to "Carson claimed West Point scholarship but never applied"

They literally updated it by saying that he never even applied...which makes it even worse for him. Just because the new wording doesnt have "fabricate" anymore doesn't make the whole claiming it but never even applying better.

But hell, listen to Breitbart and Foxnews.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post

Perhaps this shouldn't be a surprise. After all, we've long known that he denies evolution, but the pyramids? This seems an even more disturbing and egregious example of cognitive dissonance. Trump at least seems calculating and clever in his demagoguery. He is a bombastic schmuck, but at least he does not seem, like Carson, a candidate drawn from the cast of Ancient Aliens.
What is even MORE amazing is that this means that the Bible is wrong! Because the Bible clearly states that the Hebrews were enslaved after the famine to which Carson refers, which means either the Egyptians built the Pyramids themselves, contrary to common scholarly thought, or that Joseph presided over the enslavement of his own people
Old 11-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa. See, this is the worst kind of retroactive explanation possible. What it seems like you're saying is that because grain may have been stored in the Pyramids (and in truth, thats almost certainly correct, as it would have been included as funerary goods), that means that Ben Carson is correct and thus, the opprobrium being heaped on him is misplaced.

Which could not be less the case. Carson is making a specific statement; that the Biblical (and un-historical) figure of Joseph had the Pyramids built to store grain for the onset of the divinely-revealed famine. Which is just not true. Even if you believe the Bible to be revealed wisdom, it still contradicts the internal chronology of the Old Testament. There should be literally not one person on Earth willing to support this statement.

Besides which, the fact that part of claim is true (that at some point, there was some bit of grain inside the Great Pyramid) does not validate either the rest of the statement, or give the stater a pass on the intellectual cretinism of making the statement in the first place. If I claim that little fairies come into my room and night and shove human feces down my throat, which is why my poop looks like it does and not like the food I eat, the utter nonsense of the entire statement is not somehow made more palatable by the fact that I do, in fact, poop.

Insanity like this was one of my major reasons for not voting McCain 08 (Palin's nonsense, that is). As far as I'm concerned, making a statement like this is an automatic disqualification for the Presidency.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Insanity like this was one of my major reasons for not voting McCain 08 (Palin's nonsense, that is). As far as I'm concerned, making a statement like this is an automatic disqualification for the Presidency.
If you're that picky, then it would be hard to find any Republican you're willing to vote for.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

McCain, compared to the current crop of Republican candidates, looks incredible (VP choice not withstanding).