art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Terrorist Attack in Paris?

Reports seem to be changing quickly, but 26 dead in multiple attacks, with multiple shooters, and dozens more held hostage.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34814203
Old 11-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Up to 140. Many of them were trapped in a theater with some of the gunmen.
http://news.yahoo.com/live-blog-fata...8710.html?nf=1
Old 11-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Up to 140. Many of them were trapped in a theater with some of the gunmen.
http://news.yahoo.com/live-blog-fata...8710.html?nf=1
Al Jazeera right now, I'm still watching the news, is reporting 111 dead, and 93 injured. The numbers keep changing, though, and there is still a state of emergency across France, with all the borders closed, because some of the attackers are still on the loose.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

I'm seeing 112 dead at the Bataclan concert hall, with at least 153 dead so far. This is CNN reporting.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.

Last edited by Khoram; 11-13-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

One of my friends was in Paris for a conference near where the attacks took place & nobody's heard from her yet. :/

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 11-14-2015, 04:43 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
One of my friends was in Paris for a conference near where the attacks took place & nobody's heard from her yet. :/
Fingers crossed for good news Frenzy.

My brother was over in paris but far, far away from the trouble.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 11-14-2015, 10:01 AM
Youngling

SomeOneElse is an unknown quantity at this point

Wondering if Charlie Hebdo is going to release caricatures featuring bodies of those who died during these attacks.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOneElse View Post
Wondering if Charlie Hebdo is going to release caricatures featuring bodies of those who died during these attacks.
Regardless of what you thought of the artwork of Charlie Hebdo in the past, this is an inappropriate comment.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Regardless of what you thought of the artwork of Charlie Hebdo in the past, this is an inappropriate comment.
100% agree with you Kimon.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Old 11-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

So very sad. I have a few French friends from Paris, but thankfully they have been accounted for. At least one of the attackers entered as a refugee, so hopefully this wakes Europe up to the fact that contrary to what the media wants to portray, the refugees aren't all young women and children looking for help. Many are coming for the wrong reasons and there needs to be a better system of figuring out who needs help and who is there to destroy. You can't just allow everyone in, because first and foremost you must take care of your people. This refugee crisis, in my opinion, will be the end of Europe as we know it if a better system is not set up. It's time to take the war to the Islamists and send them back to hell. Muslims are generally peaceful people, but Islam is not. Our president loves to preach about how Islam is a religion of peace, but he clearly has not studied the Quran and what Muhammad was all about. ISIS follows strict Quran teachings of Muhammad and until we can admit what is going on, we cannot win.

To all the French folks on here, we have your back!
Old 11-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
So very sad. I have a few French friends from Paris, but thankfully they have been accounted for. At least one of the attackers entered as a refugee, so hopefully this wakes Europe up to the fact that contrary to what the media wants to portray, the refugees aren't all young women and children looking for help. Many are coming for the wrong reasons and there needs to be a better system of figuring out who needs help and who is there to destroy. You can't just allow everyone in, because first and foremost you must take care of your people. This refugee crisis, in my opinion, will be the end of Europe as we know it if a better system is not set up. It's time to take the war to the Islamists and send them back to hell. Muslims are generally peaceful people, but Islam is not. Our president loves to preach about how Islam is a religion of peace, but he clearly has not studied the Quran and what Muhammad was all about. ISIS follows strict Quran teachings of Muhammad and until we can admit what is going on, we cannot win.

You realize that Muslim isn't an ethnicity right, it is a religious designation - like Christian. I'm not sure where you're hearing that one of them was a refugee, but a source for that would help in verification. As for taking the fight to then, make no mistake, that's what they want.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Youngling

SomeOneElse is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
When CH published pictures mocking about victims of plane crash in northern sinai they've stated that morality and alike things mean nothing for them. All I say is that I just would like to see if they were serious or not.
Quote:
so hopefully this wakes Europe up to the fact that contrary to what the media wants to portray, the refugees aren't all young women and children looking for help.
Whenever I see such reports it is clear 70-80% of them are young guys (20-25).

Last edited by SomeOneElse; 11-14-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Elder

Quote:

Normally I defend you south, and i think you get a hard time on here. But that is a pile of horseshit.

Now is not the time. In fact- never is the time for that.

Muslims as a race (which you seem to think they are) did not carry out this atrocity. The people who did it were Muslims. There is a huge difference.

France and it's people have taken a major blow today. Let's all just mourn for them.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Utterly tragic.

The French response will be extreme I'd imagine. Hollande seemed quite determined during his most recent press conference.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

FWIW, early indications have several of the attackers being French Nationals...and not refugees.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 11-14-2015, 01:25 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
FWIW, early indications have several of the attackers being French Nationals...and not refugees.
This is the most recent description I can find.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ttacks-killers

Quote:
Islamic State on Saturday claimed responsibility for the atrocities, which the French president, François Hollande, denounced as an “act of war” that must be countered “mercilessly”.

The terror attacks were France’s deadliest since the second world war and the worst witnessed in Europe since the 2004 Madrid railway bombings.

Analysis Paris attacks: what we know so far
Gun attacks and suicide bombings across city that killed more than 120 people described by French president as ‘act of war’
Read more
As police worked to identify the eight militants, all of whom died in the attacks, it emerged that at least one of the fighters, identified by his fingerprints, was a French national with known links to Islamist networks from the southern Paris suburb of Courcoronnes.

Investigators also told French media a Syrian passport, belonging to a man born in 1970, and an Egyptian passport had been found lying close by the bodies of two other jihadis, both of whom blew themselves up in the course of their attacks.
I didn't mean to imply that I was denying the possibility, only that it Southpaw was going to blame refugees, that he should at least back up the accusation. And, it must be noted, one amongst thousands should not overwhelm the undeniable fact that the refugee crisis is a legitimate concern that should be addressed as humanely as possible, but also that ISIS certainly had two purposes at least in mind here - eliciting fear and anger in France, and eliciting fear and anger towards the refugees.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

So the French national and the Egyptian passport guy are clearly not Syrian refugees...the Syrian could be of course.

My sole point being that we shouldn't just condemn the refugees for this attack when it was likely something else.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Love thy neighbor at it's finest right there, folks.

(Oh, and my friend is fine. She was within a few miles of the attacks, but she wasn't impacted. She's already out & back home in Israel.)

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 11-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

I think I'm saddest because Paris, the loveliest city in the world IMHO, will likely never be the same. The French and Parisians do not deserve this sort of violence.

I also think this attack will be the beginning of the end for ISIS and it will finally get the entire EU moving.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:42 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Love thy neighbor at it's finest right there, folks.

(Oh, and my friend is fine. She was within a few miles of the attacks, but she wasn't impacted. She's already out & back home in Israel.)
That's good news. Glad to hear your friend is safe, Frenzy.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.