art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future
Default What's happened to Khoram?

What's up with that guy? What's with the stuff he's posting on the facebooks?

Well, the past couple of days have been quite the experience for me.

But first, we take a look back in time, to about four weeks ago...

It was a Friday afternoon, close to 2:30, and young Khoram was getting ready to go out and referee about 100 (give or take 97). And, having been wondering recently about the status of his application to the Air Force, was thinking about calling them, before they closed at 4 for the weekend. Lo and behold, the telephone rings, one of those forgotten relics of the past, a landline, and he answers it. On the phone was a Corporal from the Canadian Armed Forces, giving him an ultimatum: either choose three of four possible dates (before Christmas) to go to Trenton for the Aircrew Selection Process, or be stuck in limbo, having to redo all bloodwork in January. So he jumped at the first three dates - November 23rd to 25th, November 30th to December 2nd, and December 7th to 9th.

Step forward now to a week and a half ago, again on the Friday afternoon around 2:30. Just as he's again thinking of calling the recruiting centre, the phone rings. It's another Corporal, who tells him that he's leaving to go to Trenton on the 22nd of November to go for testing from the 23rd to the 25th. Note, he's absolutely ecstatic. It's been just about a year and a half since he originally applied to the Forces, and he was finally taking the next big step, and one of the most difficult ones at that.

So he took a train from little old Montreal to even smaller Belleville, and took a cab from there to Trenton, arriving just after 2 pm. And there he met fourteen other candidates from across Canadia, and from all walks of life: three RMC students, several mechanical engineers, a truck driver, a diver with 14 years' experience in the Royal Canadian Navy, and of course, himself.

Over those two days of testing, he sweated, he shook, he had trouble sleeping, and thought all was lost; he thought there was no that he was going to pass as a pilot, or even as an Aerospace Control Officer, which was his second choice.

It turns out that, after apparently being the second one to finish this morning, that I have passed ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! I passed as a pilot, as an AEC, and as an ACSO (Air Combat Systems Officer), ranging from being part of the 60th percentile in a couple of the tests to being in the 80th percentile in still others. It was absolutely intense. I'm still waking on Cloud 9.

After doing a chest X-ray on base, I am now in Toronto, in a swanky hotel, and waiting to go out with the other guys who passed (the pass rate is usually 37%, but we had 8 guys who passed as pilots) to eat. Then we do medicals tomorrow morning, and then (hopefully) come home. Which will be a five hour train ride. XD

So yeah. I've been through the CFASC and survived to tell about it. Hopefully now they don't tell me that I'm too short to see over the instrument panel, or my legs aren't long enough to reach the rudder pedals.

I guess I could always pull a Short Round...

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
What's up with that guy? What's with the stuff he's posting on the facebooks?

Well, the past couple of days have been quite the experience for me.

But first, we take a look back in time, to about four weeks ago...

It was a Friday afternoon, close to 2:30, and young Khoram was getting ready to go out and referee about 100 (give or take 97). And, having been wondering recently about the status of his application to the Air Force, was thinking about calling them, before they closed at 4 for the weekend. Lo and behold, the telephone rings, one of those forgotten relics of the past, a landline, and he answers it. On the phone was a Corporal from the Canadian Armed Forces, giving him an ultimatum: either choose three of four possible dates (before Christmas) to go to Trenton for the Aircrew Selection Process, or be stuck in limbo, having to redo all bloodwork in January. So he jumped at the first three dates - November 23rd to 25th, November 30th to December 2nd, and December 7th to 9th.

Step forward now to a week and a half ago, again on the Friday afternoon around 2:30. Just as he's again thinking of calling the recruiting centre, the phone rings. It's another Corporal, who tells him that he's leaving to go to Trenton on the 22nd of November to go for testing from the 23rd to the 25th. Note, he's absolutely ecstatic. It's been just about a year and a half since he originally applied to the Forces, and he was finally taking the next big step, and one of the most difficult ones at that.

So he took a train from little old Montreal to even smaller Belleville, and took a cab from there to Trenton, arriving just after 2 pm. And there he met fourteen other candidates from across Canadia, and from all walks of life: three RMC students, several mechanical engineers, a truck driver, a diver with 14 years' experience in the Royal Canadian Navy, and of course, himself.

Over those two days of testing, he sweated, he shook, he had trouble sleeping, and thought all was lost; he thought there was no that he was going to pass as a pilot, or even as an Aerospace Control Officer, which was his second choice.

It turns out that, after apparently being the second one to finish this morning, that I have passed ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! I passed as a pilot, as an AEC, and as an ACSO (Air Combat Systems Officer), ranging from being part of the 60th percentile in a couple of the tests to being in the 80th percentile in still others. It was absolutely intense. I'm still waking on Cloud 9.

After doing a chest X-ray on base, I am now in Toronto, in a swanky hotel, and waiting to go out with the other guys who passed (the pass rate is usually 37%, but we had 8 guys who passed as pilots) to eat. Then we do medicals tomorrow morning, and then (hopefully) come home. Which will be a five hour train ride. XD

So yeah. I've been through the CFASC and survived to tell about it. Hopefully now they don't tell me that I'm too short to see over the instrument panel, or my legs aren't long enough to reach the rudder pedals.

I guess I could always pull a Short Round...
Well done flyboy.

When does the brylcream arrive??
(But genuinely, well done)

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 11-24-2015, 11:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Congrats hope that everything goes well
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

wow, congrats! that's great news

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 11-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Congrats!

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 11-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!!!

Sidenote: You do your training in Trenton, New Jersey?!?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-25-2015, 08:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Congrats! Being short isn't usually a problem I hear, being too tall is

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it wasn't a problem in the case of Tom Cruise, so as long as you're tall enough to be a Scientologist (don't try this at home, nor anywhere else, by the way) you should be fine.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Yeah, it wasn't a problem in the case of Tom Cruise, so as long as you're tall enough to be a Scientologist (don't try this at home, nor anywhere else, by the way) you should be fine.
But handsome Tom is so talented that his ACTING taller actually fooled everyone and everything - Including the very physical dimensions in the flight deck!

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
But handsome Tom is so talented that his ACTING taller actually fooled everyone and everything - Including the very physical dimensions in the flight deck!
You're thinking of handsome Val. With Tom it's the scientology.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Congrats!!!

Sidenote: You do your training in Trenton, New Jersey?!?
Dav...your American is showing. CFB Trenton

Good luck Khoram. I hope they've still got some Sea Kings in the air for you to fly once you graduate.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post

Good luck Khoram. I hope they've still got some Sea Kings in the air for you to fly once you graduate.
Have you flown sikorskys SBX?

Old 11-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:

Yeah... Those Sea Kings, in the million pieces they're made up of, will be on the bottom of the ocean floor soon enough. Especially considering we're slated to be getting Cyclones relatively soon to replace them.

Just got through with the medicals. Everything looks good. Now I just have to wait a month before I start badgering the recruiting centre about my status. XD

Old 11-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Be nice to the techs. If you annoy them they'll say things like "one day just before you take off I'll wave at you like this *insert tech waving like Vir from Babylon 5*. When I do you won't be coming back.

Now I miss Riel...

Last edited by ShadowbaneX; 11-25-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Have you flown sikorskys SBX?
I've flown X-Wings and the Falcon, the Enterprise, Star Fox's ship (whatever the hell that was...I can6t be assed to Google it right now), and a few other things. Glided some. Smashed some ships into the Mun. Haven't flown any of those though. Why do you ask?
Old 11-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! It's a shame (or lucky, depending on your pov) that Trudeau wants to end Canada's anti-ISIS mission (or has he already? Will he still, after Paris?).

Unreasoner also wonders why the third person talk.

(And fwiw, I assumed NJ as well, and was surprised by it).

ETA:
Am I the only person who pities Tom? He reminds me of Taylor Swift, with the micromanaging of his image. His life must suck. But he has a hell of a work ethic, and I loved him in Tropic Thunder.

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 11-25-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

The whole crazy religious cult thing is a bit of negative PR. That said he was good in Tropic thunder although, supposedly based off someone he knows. He was also good in Collateral.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Congrats!!

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 11-25-2015, 03:50 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Congratulations! It's a shame (or lucky, depending on your pov) that Trudeau wants to end Canada's anti-ISIS mission (or has he already? Will he still, after Paris?).

Unreasoner also wonders why the third person talk.

(And fwiw, I assumed NJ as well, and was surprised by it).
I guess it doesn't really matter, because even though I would love to be a fighter pilot, I really don't mind flying anything. So having the Hornets taken back doesn't really affect me. Besides, it will still take a while before I actually start training on actual planes, and even longer to complete the training. At least another couple of years.

But the most stressful part is done, and I'm heading home - the train will probably take 4 1/2 hours to get back to , so I'm only gonna get in around 9:30.

I guess I should have specified that I was talking about Trenton, Ontario. Silly me for forgetting that many of you are American.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Elder

Quote:
I've flown X-Wings and the Falcon, the Enterprise, Star Fox's ship (whatever the hell that was...I can6t be assed to Google it right now), and a few other things. Glided some. Smashed some ships into the Mun. Haven't flown any of those though. Why do you ask?
Sea kings are sokorskys aren't they? I thought from your post you might have had expeience (maybe in the coast guard?). I've never been in one but would love to!!

As for Tom- I've said before he is my favourite movie star. Since far and away, 1993, he hasn't made a bad movie. Even knight and day wasn't bad. Just not overly enjoyable.

I know he has a weird personal life but when I go to a movie I want to see a well put together movie- he picks the directors he wants to work with and only signs on to a movie he is happy with. And it shows in The quality of the product.