art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shooting in San Bernardino

Oh man

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/mass-sh...rnia-1.3347432

Again and again and again.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 12-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

This doesn't appear to be your ordinary mass shooting (single disturbed individual). It looks more like a terrorist attack - multiple perpetrators, bombs and body armor, etc. I just wonder why they would attack a social services facility. The only motive I can think of would be some rightwingers pissed about the welfare state, or something.

Oh well. I suppose we'll know more before too long.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
This doesn't appear to be your ordinary mass shooting (single disturbed individual). It looks more like a terrorist attack - multiple perpetrators, bombs and body armor, etc. I just wonder why they would attack a social services facility. The only motive I can think of would be some rightwingers pissed about the welfare state, or something.

Oh well. I suppose we'll know more before too long.

Or left wingers who hate Christians since these gunmen attacked a Christmas party.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the first shots fired in the literal War on Christmas. Again, we will see. It doesn't appear to make much sense at the moment. The death toll climbed really fast.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Ah, the first shots fired in the literal War on Christmas. Again, we will see. It doesn't appear to make much sense at the moment. The death toll climbed really fast.
Yeah, it's too soon to tell. Sounds like the only stuff we know so far is that it was a mental health Christmas party and that there were two shooters.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
Or left wingers who hate Christians since these gunmen attacked a Christmas party.
There it is...the dumbest single thing I will read today.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
There it is...the dumbest single thing I will read today.
Well it's stupid to automatically assume that right wingers would shoot up a disability building (having a Christmas party) just because of the idea of a welfare state. People attacked the Republican Party for the Planned Parenthood attack until they found out the shooter was a Democrat. It's just as reasonable to believe that this California place was attacked for religious reasons for when it happened (and if there was an inside source) than to believe it was right wingers out to stop a system that has been going on for many many years. It doesn't really matter if it's Islamic terrorism because liberals will blame global warming (Bernie) and Republicans before they blame violent Islamic terrorists.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Who walks into a building and starts shooting autistic people?

So bloody angry.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 12-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well it's stupid to automatically assume that right wingers would shoot up a disability building (having a Christmas party) just because of the idea of a welfare state. People attacked the Republican Party for the Planned Parenthood attack until they found out the shooter was a Democrat. It's just as reasonable to believe that this California place was attacked for religious reasons for when it happened (and if there was an inside source) than to believe it was right wingers out to stop a system that has been going on for many many years. It doesn't really matter if it's Islamic terrorism because liberals will blame global warming (Bernie) and Republicans before they blame violent Islamic terrorists.
Its stupid to ASSUME anything during an event like this. It'd make MORE sense to withhold judgment on both sides.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Well it's stupid to automatically assume that right wingers would shoot up a disability building (having a Christmas party) just because of the idea of a welfare state.
I never assumed anything. I just said it was the only motive I could think of.

Quote:
People attacked the Republican Party for the Planned Parenthood attack until they found out the shooter was a Democrat.
So was Kim Davis. It doesn't really mean much; lots of rightwingers are registered as Democrats. It's a holdover from the switcheroo of the civil rights era. The PP attacker was clearly a rightwinger whose beliefs about abortion were aligned with the GOP platform and contrary to the Democratic platform. Though I suppose I should be happy you're not trying to claim he's transgender.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well it's stupid to automatically assume that right wingers would shoot up a disability building (having a Christmas party) just because of the idea of a welfare state. People attacked the Republican Party for the Planned Parenthood attack until they found out the shooter was a Democrat.
There is a reason why you are oft asked to provide a source for these sorts of allegations...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...activist-what/

Quote:
But abortion rights advocates and opponents have quickly formed vastly different theories based on their own hand-picked media reports. On one side, Dear is basically what you’d imagine an abortion clinic attacker to be — an antiabortion activist. On the other, as Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) put it Sunday, Dear might be a "transgendered leftist activist."

Cruz's campaign later said he was not making this allegation himself, but simply pointing out that there are conflicting reports — including some that Dear was registered to vote as a woman. (More on that later.)

The conventional notion that Dear, 57, must have been driven by hard-core opposition to abortion was reinforced over the weekend by an NBC News story. Citing two unnamed law enforcement officials, NBC reported that Dear said “no more baby parts” when he was apprehended Friday after allegedly killing three people and wounding nine others at a Planned Parenthood office in Colorado Springs. The Washington Post confirmed this, citing an unnamed law enforcement official.
Quote:
But some abortion opponents have an alternative explanation, as articulated by Cruz, who was among the GOP White House contenders called out by Laguens.

“The media promptly wants to blame him on the pro-life movement when, at this point, there’s very little evidence to indicate that,” Cruz said Sunday at a campaign stop in Newton, Iowa. He added that “it’s also been reported that he was registered as an independent and a woman and a transgendered leftist activist. If that’s what he is, I don’t think it’s fair to blame … the rhetoric on the left. This is a murderer.”

The idea that Dear is a trans woman — and therefore more closely aligned with liberals than conservatives — appears to have originated with the Gateway Pundit, a conservative blog that reported that Dear’s Colorado voter registration record lists his gender as female and his political party as unaffiliated.
Quote:
Whatever the case, people on each side of the abortion debate seem determined not only to disown Dear but also to attach him to the other — no matter how limited the evidence right now.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Youngling

Quote:
I never assumed anything. I just said it was the only motive I could think of.

So was Kim Davis. It doesn't really mean much; lots of rightwingers are registered as Democrats. It's a holdover from the switcheroo of the civil rights era. The PP attacker was clearly a rightwinger whose beliefs about abortion were aligned with the GOP platform and contrary to the Democratic platform. Though I suppose I should be happy you're not trying to claim he's transgender.
Just because the guy was pro-life doesn't automatically make him a right-wing nut. It's hilarious hearing Planned Parenthood decry murder, to be completely honest.

There was no "switcheroo" of the civil rights era. Both sides have their racists and non-racists. Democrats are just more outspoken and extreme about making sure that with anything and everything they don't agree with, they accuse of racism.. aka a form of censorship and control. Justice Clarence Thomas still gets verbally attacked by liberals as an "uncle Tom" who is too stupid to think for himself since he's a Republican. Of course, that's not considered racism since it's coming from the Democratic side, right? This is an attempt to pull in more people to the government welfare state. It's like the extreme, idiotic hypocrisy going on on college campuses nowadays. Even noted liberal Alan Dershowitz has some out to call those idiots a bunch of hypocrites who preach free speech and "safe spaces" yet hate those who speak in ways they don't like. My sister, a student at Mizzou, had to walk by the idiotic bums in order to get to class so she can actually receive an education (since she's actually paying for her schooling) and she gets called out as a "white bitch" and "white privileged bitch." Now, if she had responded in a negative way, she likely would have been attacked or would have ended up on the liberal news network for racism. Of course, since it was aimed at her, a white girl, nothing comes from it. It's a very twisted, and hypocritical society that the liberal party has created, where if you're a minority, you're automatically a victim, which has now led to this ridiculous outcry where people who don't get what they want automatically moan and cry and spew irrational bs that liberal universities then buy into. It's disgusting, and takes away from the truth racism that does occur.

And the attacker today, or at least one of them, was named Syed Farook, according to LA Times. One can only wonder where this will lead.... Hmmm

Last edited by Southpaw2012; 12-02-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
There was no "switcheroo" of the civil rights era.
Sorry, but there was. People who voted for Democrats all their lives switched to the GOP, and vice-versa. It's well-documented, especially when it comes to politicians switching parties.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well it's stupid to automatically assume that right wingers would shoot up a disability building (having a Christmas party) just because of the idea of a welfare state.
You know, they could also be right wingers who hate Christmas. If the perpetrators are Muslims, then that would be an entirely sensible combination.
I know that many Republicans try to convince everyone that they are more reactionary than ISIS is, but so far they haven't (quite) made that case.

Of course, it is also possible that it wasn't about Christmas, that this party was simply a guaranteed opportunity for getting a high body count. Not all shooters are entirely rational about why they fire their guns, after all. Which, come to think of it, seems a pretty good argument for stringent limitations on gun availability.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:51 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Santa Anna Frenzy country?

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Appears it likely was a terrorist act...homegrown radicalization apparently.

That's sad.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, that's just what the NRA stands for. So no problem, then.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
My sister, a student at Mizzou, had to walk by the idiotic bums in order to get to class so she can actually receive an education (since she's actually paying for her schooling)
You know, because none of those filthy minorities could possibly be paying for their own education. I bet they're all on scholarships and welfare...I hear they only buy steak and lobster with their EBT too and go on cruises. Bunch of fvcking welfare queens I hear!!!

Old 12-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Sorry, but there was. People who voted for Democrats all their lives switched to the GOP, and vice-versa. It's well-documented, especially when it comes to politicians switching parties.
No, no, the South just magically switched from Straight Blue Democratic to Deep Red Republican with nothing going on...yes siree!!!

Nothing at all. Southpaw, are you also unfamiliar with the term "Southern Strategy" and its usage starting with Nixon to switch the entire Southern Democratic party over to the GOP?

Guessing no...

Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
You know, because none of those filthy minorities could possibly be paying for their own education. I bet they're all on scholarships and welfare...I hear they only buy steak and lobster with their EBT too and go on cruises. Bunch of fvcking welfare queens I hear!!!
Yeah, I would bet many of them are on scholarships, and I say that because if they weren't, they wouldn't be shutting down schools and protesting day after day after day. That's not what they're at school for. If you actually go through the facts of what these students are crying around about and what they demand, it's sickening. Sister feared for her safety because a group of entitled idiots want to make a statement and don't feel "included." The football team, who is treated as royalty on college campuses, didn't feel "included." Get the fuck over it. You aren't in college to be pampered, you're in college to be educated, though that's questionable with a lot of the garbage preached today on college campuses. Go read what Dershowitz has to say. He's a liberal like you all.

As for this terrorism situation in Cali, it sounds like it could have been prevented, but the neighbors didn't want to be "politically incorrect" and report their suspicions because they were afraid they would be labeled Islamophobic. As I've said many times before, political correctness will destroy this nation, aka Islamic extremist deniers and race baiting, entitled/victim seeking idiots. I love how liberals bash the Tea Party but love Black Lives Matters. The difference is this: the Tea Party stands on lawns, waves American flags, and calls for the government to follow the law. Black Lives Matter calls for attacks on police, make up garbage so people they don't agree with lose their jobs and fortunes, and verbally assault and harass opponents (and even non-opponents like at Dartmouth.