art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): Anonymous,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Star Wars MASSIVE SPOILERS THREAD

For those of us that have seen it and would like to discuss it without the need to worry about spoiling it for anyone.

My first thoughts: Absolutely phenomenal. Abrams should have just done SW all along. The new characters are actually interesting, well acted, the dialogue sounds like normal humans instead of Lucas speak. The FX was amazingly well done...no more massive green screen all the time.

Other things:

1. Han's story arc was very well done...saw his death coming a mile away but that was due to the way it was written.

2. They didn't kill off the bad guy...clearly they learned their mistake when they did that with Darth Maul. Also, they didn't name him Darth Ren or Darth Kylo or anything else stupid. Thank god.

3. It wasnt fucking Tatooine...thank you for finally moving to somewhere different, Abrams.

4. I wish Luke would have had some dialogue but it was a natural stopping point. Nice usage of the Skellig Islands there...I've stood in the exact spot they filmed that on Skellig Michael apparently and have a photo of me right there...good stuff.

There's a ton of other stuff obviously but this is just to kick it off.

Go at it.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

I just loved all the nods to post movies - Leia asking Han when he had actually been helpful, and sing not to mention the Death Star, Han suggesting sending Captain Phasma down a garbage chute into a tag compactor, the trench run...

I loved this movie. I saw Han's death a mile away, too, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Harrison Ford is one of my favourite actors, so to see one of his characters bite the bullet, or in this case pull a Qui-Gon/Rand and "sheathe the lightsaber" really saddens me. I guess he finally got his wish of killing off Han Solo, though.

I really liked the shots we got from inside X-Wings. Some of them e pretty amazing.

How did they get Luke's old lightsaber back!?

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How did they get Luke's old lightsaber back!?
Well, as far as canon is concerned now that the EU has been wiped away, it fell down the shaft at Cloud City and then we never see it again. I'd imagine someone picked it up and its been passed around for 30 years till weird eyes got it and kept it.

Speaking of Cloud City...why no Lando??? I wants me some Lando Calrissian damnit!!!

Maybe he can come back in the next movie and wear all of Han's old clothes again since Han won't be needing them anymore.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

And he'll be offered a job on the Falcon, especially now that Rey looks to be studying with Luke. Chewie is going to need another pilot, so why not Lando?

Oh, and Rey is Luke's daughter. Calling it now.

Another reason for there being no Lando... There can only be one token black guy in the Star Wars movies at a time. Any more, and the universe will implode.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Oh, and Rey is Luke's daughter. Calling it now.
Yeah, I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case too. It was fairly well bludgeoned with foreshadowing.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Also, imagine how good the prequels could have been had they basically used Rey's age & storyline in place of pumpkin head Jake Lloyd...

Old 12-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Elder

She's definitely too old to train as a Jedi.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Yeah, Ineed rage that the Internet wie shocked if that wasn't the case too. It was fairly well bludgeoned with foreshadowing.
I actually hope she isn't his daughter.

Not because I don't think it's foreshadowed (it is, big time) but because chewie, Han and leia make no reference to it or seem to recognise her or make any sort of connection.
And this will lead to so much nerd rage that the Internet would be more insufferable than usual!

Also, glad to see you recognised selling michel dav. As I said before you came over here- it is one of our greatest hidden treasures. It looked so beautiful in those closing shots.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 12-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Elder

I know that there's a whole back story for Jakku, but I wish there had been more of that in the movie. I know that there was a major battle between the Imperials and Rebels not too long after RotJ, but I want to see it. I want more dogfights. More back story.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Gotta say it was better than I feared.

Way better than the prequels.

One thing that annoyed me though was that both Finn and Rey pick up a lightsaber once and then fight on even terms with Kylo who's had at least 10 years of training?

Then again. Kylo is the lamest sith ever (and contrary to Emokin I think we are supposed to think he's lame).

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 12-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Elder

I think the thing that was the most jarring to me was when Rey was developing her control over the Force. It just felt so... rushed. Everything was happening so quickly. That was the weakest part of the movie for me. At least you can tell, when both Finn and Rey are using the lightsaber, they are nowhere near as proficient as Kylo Ren is. Especially Finn.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
I think the thing that was the most jarring to me was when Rey was developing her control over the Force. It just felt so... rushed. Everything was happening so quickly. That was the weakest part of the movie for me. At least you can tell, when both Finn and Rey are using the lightsaber, they are nowhere near as proficient as Kylo Ren is. Especially Finn.
Agreed, but I find it less jarring that someone can figure out Force powers instantly, than learning to fight with a sword, or even worse, a lightsaber, so fast.

BTW, was the whole "only jedis are strong enough to use lightsabers" and EU thing or is this proof that Finn is force-sensitive too?

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 12-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
Agreed, but I find it less jarring that someone can figure out Force powers instantly, than learning to fight with a sword, or even worse, a lightsaber, so fast.

BTW, was the whole "only jedis are strong enough to use lightsabers" and EU thing or is this proof that Finn is force-sensitive too?
Well he was trained in combat. It's possible that his training included some melee-adjacent skills that could let him passably fake it for a little while.

Not sure what you mean by an EU thing, but my friends in America seem convinced he has Jedi potential, without the lightsaber proving anything either way.

ETA: In my mind I thought you were from Denmark. Norway's not in the EU. Are you on vacation somewhere? The specific country is probably more important than EU vs US^Canada when talking about attitudes.

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 12-19-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Elder

EU - Extended Universe.

Or the European Union. Whichever works best.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
EU - Extended Universe.

Or the European Union. Whichever works best.
Extended Universe in this case

And it's not even outdated EU canon it seems: http://www.askajedi.com/2010/09/09/a...a-light-saber/

Old 12-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

I just saw the movie today and really liked it.

I also thought that Finn could use the force and that Rey is the daughter of Luke.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

A few points, a popular theory is that she is Luke's daughter (or possibly Obi-Wan's grand-daughter...or both). It's also possibly that Luke doesn't know about her, ie mother left before she knew she was pregnant. This could suggest a few years experience, even as a child, which could have helped. Let's also not forget the 'little ones' that Yoda was training. Even a few years of forgotten training could allow for things to happen later.

As for her learning the Jedi Mind Trick, well, that's probably a story she'd heard and just tried it, after counter Kylo's invasion attempt. As an aside? That Storm Trooper? Daniel Craig.

As for Storm Trooper melee combat, well, we did see a Trooper go hand to hand with Finn and the sabre. They want Luke dead, so they're going to be prepared for that as they're going to be certainly more effective at slowing him down than just having all their troopers get killed from their own blaster bolts.

As for the fight with Kylo Ren, well, they spent half the movie showing how effective Chewie's bowcaster was. So, yes, a pair of rookies did manage to hold their own, barely, while he had a huge whole him...a hole that shattered storm trooper armour and sent them flying.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:54 AM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Going into the film, I predicted that Kylo Ren was the son of Han Solo and Princess (General) Leia and that Luke trained Kylo before he turned against him. However, I also predicted that Rey was the sister of Kylo Ren and the daughter of Han and Leia. I think you're right, that Rey is being set up to be Luke's daughter, but the film in some ways hinted that Rey could be the daughter of Han because:

1. Rey's intro in some ways mirrored Luke's intro in Episode 4. Desert planet, abandoned by family, etc etc. I could see that instead of having to take down the "evil father" like Luke did, she'd have to take down the "evil brother" which is Kylo Ren.

2. Han and Leia seemed attached to Rey, which I thought might be a hint that she was secretly their daughter.

3. That being said, I think the signs are pointing to her being Luke's daughter, which will still be cool in upcoming movies.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Rey and Han finishing each other's sentences, and Ben mocking her for thinking Han was like the father she never had also hint at Rey being a Solo instead of a Skywalker. But we will see.

My biggest surprise that Leia, while still being force sensitive, seems to have not learned to use it at all, and certainly didn't seem to have a Lightsaber. What gives?

I was frankly hoping the Jedi Order would be back. Seeing that there's only one alive, and one in training, very like New Hope, was disappointing.

And yes, in large ways, this is New Hope 2.0. But I'm not complaining at all. They can take this in many interesting directions.

Was anyone else annoyed that pretty much billions of people died and we don't even know which planet they were from? And no one seemed all that sad! Was Coruscant one of the planets they destroyed?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Elder

Did Coruscant become the capital of the Republic, or did that change once the Empire feel? Did Coruscant remain the capital of the Empire following the events of RotS? Would the New Order destroy something as important to the Empire as that was, seeing as they were pretty much Empire fanboys.