art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shooting in Orlando, Florida. 50 dead, 50+ wounded

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orl...club-shooting/
Old 06-12-2016, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

it's horrible
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:36 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
it's horrible
It was also just a day after another high profile murder in Orlando. Friday night a psychotic fan shot a singer, Christina Grimmie, at a concert.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Yeah, Orlando had a rough weekend.

People are debating whether to call this Islamist terrorism or a hate crime. IMO it's clearly both. It doesn't matter much that it was a lone wolf attack; the dude pledged allegiance to ISIS and he clearly bought into their philosophy which encourages this sort of thing. His ex-wife says he wasn't particularly religious but that's often the case with these radicalized types. They're angry losers looking for an outlet.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Yeah, Orlando had a rough weekend.

People are debating whether to call this Islamist terrorism or a hate crime. IMO it's clearly both. It doesn't matter much that it was a lone wolf attack; the dude pledged allegiance to ISIS and he clearly bought into their philosophy which encourages this sort of thing. His ex-wife says he wasn't particularly religious but that's often the case with these radicalized types. They're angry losers looking for an outlet.
Yup. At the same time, its possible this particular venue was chosen because the shooter was pissed when he saw two men kissing. At least, according to his dad, according to a few news sources. The whole story will be out soon, but nothing stops this being both terrorism and a domestic hate crime.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I do know...there is no way any sort of gun control could have possibly prevented such a tragedy...and also, this is NOT the time to talk about gun control as a nation.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-12-2016, 03:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

And yet, you brought it up.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And yet, you brought it up.
That was sarcastic...since that is ALWAYS the response on gun advocates whenever a mass shooting occurs.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 06-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ah, I missed the sarcasm. Possibly because you've been known to jump from one opinion to another quickly. And you were like the 5th person I've seen today come into a post about this that had no discussion about gun control whatsoever and complain about people who were using this tragedy to push their anti-gun agenda. I haven't seen a single person bring up gun control other than Obama himself, and that's just rote for him at this point. How many times has he given this speech now? A dozen? More?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Ah, I missed the sarcasm. Possibly because you've been known to jump from one opinion to another quickly. And you were like the 5th person I've seen today come into a post about this that had no discussion about gun control whatsoever and complain about people who were using this tragedy to push their anti-gun agenda. I haven't seen a single person bring up gun control other than Obama himself, and that's just rote for him at this point. How many times has he given this speech now? A dozen? More?
I've been pro-gun control for a long time now...I am just realistic that nothing will ever change. EVER.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
18 times.

And as for the "debate" on gun control. It's already done. If sandy hook wasn't enough to get it started nothing will.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 06-13-2016, 03:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

The debate on gun control is like the peace talks between Israel and Palestina. Either it's not the right time for it, or someone shoots up a bunch of people and then it isn't the right time for it.

But, perhaps, instead of discussing the 2nd Amendment, it might be a good idea to hang this one on the 1st. After all, it does seem to have been inspired by Old Testament morals possibly combined with a psychosis.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
18 times.

And as for the "debate" on gun control. It's already done. If sandy hook wasn't enough to get it started nothing will.
Yup...if a bunch of kids being gunned down at a school didn't do it, 50 gay people dying won't. Half the country thinks gay people are the devil incarnate anyway. (well probably 40% at this point but still, the point remains). A bunch of them were probably secretly happy that "the gays" got what they deserved for their "sinful lifestyle"

Old 06-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
A bunch of them were probably secretly happy that "the gays" got what they deserved for their "sinful lifestyle"
It may be cynical of me, but I think most are just happy about the fact that they can blame the deaths on a Muslim. Now they don't have to think about the victims and what they stood for; they can go immediately into finger pointing mode.

Of course, it's theoretically possible that I would be wrong about this.
Maybe someone could ask the Westboro Baptists whether or not this Muslim was doing God's work.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

So this was basically good news for bigoted republican warmongers. Killing homosexuals and blaming it on ISIS.

So were they behind it? Did they take a hate crime and doctored it to look like terrorism? Did they put the idea in the guy's head so that he made himself out to be a terrorist? Was the guy himself a bigoted warmongering republican?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 06-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
So this was basically good news for bigoted republican warmongers. Killing homosexuals and blaming it on ISIS.

So were they behind it? Did they take a hate crime and doctored it to look like terrorism? Did they put the idea in the guy's head so that he made himself out to be a terrorist? Was the guy himself a bigoted warmongering republican?
Best part is that Trump will almost certainly see his poll numbers rise because of this.

4 years ago, Romney tried to politicize the Benghazi attack and it helped to sink his campaign. Now, with the atmosphere of fear that permeates our country, the neo-fascists will only be helped by this.

Same thing is happening throughout the entire West with nationalist parties gaining strength.

Pretty pathetic and sad just how fragile our supposed "civilized culture" really is.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

I might watch Maddow tonight for the first time in months. She's bound to have a good A-block take on this.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

There's a story out now that the shooter had been to the club before as a patron per at least 5 witnesses and he also had a profile on a gay dating site.

What a shock.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

I'm sure if you asked him, he was just staking the place out, possibly planning a few murder dates.

Most self-hating gays just kill themselves. Maybe people will start caring if more of them decide to take the whole damn club out with them.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Muslims celebrate 9/11 on rooftops