art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Istanbul Airport Terrorist Attack

Still not much information yet, but it appears to have been just outside the International Terminal. Everyone seems to be somewhat hedging, but considering the target, this is clearly ISIS and not the Kurds. It does unfortunately seem another example, like Belgium, of a change in tactic in how they are attacking airports - hitting the check-in area rather than trying to make it through the security checkpoint.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36658187
Old 06-29-2016, 07:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Its pretty much impossible to protect soft targets...sure, you could push the security perimeter out further but that would just change the location of the next attack to just outside that perimeter instead of the current one. No matter what you do, there's going to be a fairly large and vulnerable crowd of travelers trying to use an airport or a train station, etc.

Good intel and police work is the only real option but even if we stop 99% of all potential attacks (which is probably about where we are right now actually), that 1% that gets through will still be horrific.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Yeah it's horrible as well
My thoughts go out to all the victims.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Good intel and police work is the only real option ...
Turkey uses the military to beat up on random Kurds and protests whenever anyone speaks about the Armenian genocide. Would that count?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Turkey uses the military to beat up on random Kurds and protests whenever anyone speaks about the Armenian genocide. Would that count?
Ironically that might actually create more attacks than stop them. Weird they haven't thought that one through...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 06-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Ironically that might actually create more attacks than stop them. Weird they haven't thought that one through...
Erdogan certainly was directly responsible for breaking the cease fire, and probably at least tangentially involved in the terrorist attack on the peace demonstrations by the Kurd students at Suruc that truly caused this maelstrom. Hopefully this attack will finally force him to see reason and begin to see the Kurds as less of a problem than ISIS.

He has begun reaching back out to Russia recently to restore that breach, which hopefully indicates a recognition that Assad needs to stay if there ever is to be stability again in Syria.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36663127

On the other hand, we still have quite a few truly incomprehensibly foolish malcontents in the State Department that seem insistent on continuing to feed the fire in Syria...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/wo...mats-memo.html

These idiots should all be fired.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Erdogan certainly was directly responsible for breaking the cease fire, and probably at least tangentially involved in the terrorist attack on the peace demonstrations by the Kurd students at Suruc that truly caused this maelstrom. Hopefully this attack will finally force him to see reason and begin to see the Kurds as less of a problem than ISIS.

He has begun reaching back out to Russia recently to restore that breach, which hopefully indicates a recognition that Assad needs to stay if there ever is to be stability again in Syria.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36663127

On the other hand, we still have quite a few truly incomprehensibly foolish malcontents in the State Department that seem insistent on continuing to feed the fire in Syria...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/wo...mats-memo.html

These idiots should all be fired.
Even worse, the Kurds (both Peshmerga and the Syrian groups) have been on the front lines against ISIS since the beginning. And Erdogan made sure to stonewall his Kurds at almost every turn until he openly attacked them.

Erdogan at least let some Peshmerga fighters through Turkey to reinforce the Kurds on the Syrian front.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

The Kurds want a country of their own, which would come (at least partially) out of Turkey, thus making Turkey less. In contrast, the only disagreement Erdogan has with the IS Caliph is that Erdogan wants that position for himself.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

To be fair to him, the leader of Turkey has a stronger historical claim to the Caliphate than some jumped up commoner from the deserts of Iraq.

I mean, lets just bring back the entire Ottoman empire and see how it goes...I would feel bad for the Austrians though as I don't know that they're up to fighting off another invasion.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Would Erdogan be willing to inherit the Greek debts, though?