art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Military Coup in Turkey?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...m_content=link

Tons of rumors of a seizure of power in Istanbul...not exactly a great thing right now. Apparently attempting to seize power from Erdogan and not on behalf of him at least.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 07-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...m_content=link

Tons of rumors of a seizure of power in Istanbul...not exactly a great thing right now. Apparently attempting to seize power from Erdogan and not on behalf of him at least.
Might be even more dangerous if it fails. Looks like they grabbed the bridges across the Bosporus and the airports, but haven't arrested Erdogan yet. I'd have to imagine that this was done at least with our approval. If it fails, we'll be blamed, and relations with Turkey will get even worse. Will be interesting to see both if it succeeds, and how much backlash there is both inside and outside of Turkey. Turkey becoming even more of a chaotic mess isn't good for anyone. On the other hand, if it succeeds, and if the Turkish people are mostly supportive could be very good for the Kurds, for the efforts against ISIS, for finally ending the civil war in Syria, and thus for us and the region.

Turkey was a much more western, much more progressive state when it was run by the military. A return to that, away from the theocratic/autocratic "democracy" of Erdogan, would be potentially quite good for us and for them (well those who don't like Turkey becoming an Islamic state). If it works. Or it could ruin our relationship with Turkey, and make Erdogan act even more like an autocratic thug if it fails.

Certainly increasingly clear why the State Department has been urging all Americans to get the f out of Turkey...
Old 07-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

MSNBC saying that Erdogan was refused the right to land his plane in Istanbul and is now requesting asylum in Germany. Quite ironic considering the recent row over both the Armenian genocide, and Erdogan insisting on that German comic being prosecuted for slandering him. Hopefully Germany refuses.

https://twitter.com/L0gg0l/status/75...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 07-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like the military has done a pretty good job of taking over Ankara and Istanbul. Appears to be a pretty well organized coup here.

Erdogan won't be missed.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 07-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

I am also watching the news. I am quite stunned.
I do hope its succesfull, otherwise its even more dictator erdogan.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:55 PM
Ancient

Terrifying to think of Trump potentially handling these types of messes in a couple of months...
Old 07-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Terrifying to think of Trump potentially handling these types of messes in a couple of months...
He'd probably try and reinstate Erdogan.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Good riddance
Old 07-15-2016, 06:23 PM
Ancient

Not so sure that this coup is going to succeed. Seems like only part of the military is involved, and most of the senior command had to be taken hostage. And we just issued a statement condemning the violence and supportive of Erdogan.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Ancient

Definitely looks failed now. The coup seemed to seize Ankara, but failed to secure Istanbul, and the soldiers are unwilling to fight against the civilian protesters, or the police, which seems in full support of Erdogan. This might get messy, and looks like it will end with Erdogan back in power, and likely ruling with even more of an iron fist than he had before.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

And now he will crack down with an even stronger Islamic authoritarian rule. Why our country is supporting the government is baffling, though 99% of what our administration does is baffling.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
And now he will crack down with an even stronger Islamic authoritarian rule. Why our country is supporting the government is baffling, though 99% of what our administration does is baffling.
Shot in the dark...we could tell the coup was failing and went with the winner since they're a major ally?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Ancient

Quote:
We, unfortunately, have little choice. At least we don't seem to have been involved in planning this debacle. And we waited long enough to see how it played out, and began failing, and so avoided making any embarrassing official statements in support of a failed coup.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:58 PM
Ancient

Reichstag Fire type conspiracy theories already floating...

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/statu...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 07-15-2016, 09:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Reichstag Fire type conspiracy theories already floating...

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/statu...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Yep its quite worrying what happens in Turkey now. I think Erdogan will be even more a dictator and no more secular Turkey.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One reason could be that despite his flaws, Obama still has some respect for democracy and the rule of law. Your implied suggestion that other countries should not have any kind of freedom is the kind of attitude that makes people distrust American prattle about democracy.

Erdogan got his position because he was elected to it. Simply having him shoved aside by the military is not really the kind of situation to be applauded, even if it may not be much of a difference anyway, seeing as how Erdogan doesn't have much respect for freedom and the rule of law either.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

It may sound somewhat cynical, but I have to ask: was the CIA behind this?
Old 07-16-2016, 07:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
It may sound somewhat cynical, but I have to ask: was the CIA behind this?
Kimon seems to think that if they had been, it wouldn't have failed.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Youngling

SomeOneElse is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly it is already defeated. Yesterday when I heard of it I was so fucking happy, just as much was I upset when I woke up and saw the reports about pro-Erdogan forces regaining control over the country.
Still hope to see Erdogan hung one day like Saddam.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Over 2800 military officers arrested...and the purges begin.