art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-26-2016, 04:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tallness

Somewhat to my surprise, Yks is almost the tallest woman in the world.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Heh I'm only just below the Dutch average.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 07-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I know. If you see family photos, I'm the very very odd one out. Estonian women average around 165-170 cm, and I'm 154.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 08-02-2016, 06:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

~goes to google translate for European to American~

Hmm...shows that 154 CM is approximately 60.6 inches which is 5'0" basically.

Yeah, you're not super tall. I just did some additional maths which shows me to be 213 CM and I believe Dai is several (probably a dozen) CM taller than me.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Yeah, you're not super tall. I just did some additional maths which shows me to be 213 CM and I believe Dai is several (probably a dozen) CM taller than me.
213cm is tall for a professional baseball player. Your maths may be off... Dai is 200cm flat, iirc.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 08-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
213cm is tall for a professional baseball player. Your maths may be off... Dai is 200cm flat, iirc.
Let me reenter it...I'm pretty tired so I probably had a typo when I put it into the google Inches to CM.

Yup, I'm 188 CM, not 213. I accidentally typed my height in inches as 84, not 74 for some reason. I blame a lack of coffee.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 08-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did you perhaps mean basketball, sare? Or are baseball players famous for their heights too?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 08-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Did you perhaps mean basketball, sare? Or are baseball players famous for their heights too?
They gotta be taller than the cheerleaders, which in the Netherlands (and Estonia) means they have to be very tall indeed. Do Americans have any other qualifications for baseball players apart from "taller than the cheerleaders"?
Now that I think about it, there aren't cheerleaders with basketball, so I don't know why those players have to be tall.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
They gotta be taller than the cheerleaders, which in the Netherlands (and Estonia) means they have to be very tall indeed. Do Americans have any other qualifications for baseball players apart from "taller than the cheerleaders"?
Now that I think about it, there aren't cheerleaders with basketball, so I don't know why those players have to be tall.
Yes there are. And now that I think about it I'm not sure if baseball has cheerleaders, but I would assume that every american sports team has cheerleaders. And to go on a tangent: why aren't there any male cheerleaders?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 08-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

That one seems to be simple, now: female sportspersons are not tall enough to properly tower over male cheerleaders.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
That one seems to be simple, now: female sportspersons are not tall enough to properly tower over male cheerleaders.
Why can't you just use short guys? They can't get on the teams so there should be enough.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 08-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Yes there are. And now that I think about it I'm not sure if baseball has cheerleaders, but I would assume that every american sports team has cheerleaders. And to go on a tangent: why aren't there any male cheerleaders?
Baseball, really doesn't.

At the collegiate level, there are male cheerleaders. At the professional level, I don't think there are.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Baseball, really doesn't.

At the collegiate level, there are male cheerleaders. At the professional level, I don't think there are.
I demand photographic evidence!
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 08-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Jose Altuve (2B for the Astros) leads the AL in hitting with a .356 AVG. He's all of 5'6". He's a middle infielder so they tend to be fairly small to begin with...there are taller SS & 2B of course but on average, a middle infielder will be shorter than a 1B/3B or outfielder. Catchers also tend to be shorter than the other guys because its physically just tougher on taller guys to squat all the time like they have to behind the plate.

Being overly tall in baseball...say over 6'4"-6'5"ish actually makes it a bit harder for a lot of reasons. Tall pitchers have trouble repeating their delivery because they're so lanky (see Randy Johnson as a great example of this. He's an inner circle Hall of Fame pitcher but he struggled with his pitch command for years before figuring things out). Lots of guys never figure it out. Same with hitting. A overly tall hitter tends to have a huge strike zone and they also have the same issues with plate coverage as a result of that. They're all arms and legs so to speak.

So basically with baseball, you tend to not want to be super tall or super short.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

You guys know what I meant, wether I typed it correct or not.

And I'm guessing another reason you don't want to be too tall for baseball is that all the running is mostly sprints. I can tell you from experience that being tall also means all that mass has to accellerate.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 08-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
I demand photographic evidence!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
You guys know what I meant, wether I typed it correct or not.

And I'm guessing another reason you don't want to be too tall for baseball is that all the running is mostly sprints. I can tell you from experience that being tall also means all that mass has to accellerate.
It's Muphry's Law. Whenever you post something on the internet with the intention of correcting someone else's post, your post will have a trivial grammar error or typo.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 08-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Well, it's common knowledge that basketball players go from 5'9 to well over 7 feet tall (yes, I'm a filthy, backwards American that uses the Imperial system, sue me). But in American Football, size extremes are nearly as prevalent.

Linemen will go anywhere from just over 6ft to 6 feet 7inches (sometimes taller).

Wide receivers (guys who catch the forward pass) go from under 6 feet, to six and a half feet.

Runningbacks (guys who primarily just run with the ball), not so much in height, but can weight anywhere from 170lbs to 240lbs, 5'9 to 6'2 (though taller RBs are rare).

Quarterbacks can go from (ideally) 6'2 to 6'9. Mainly to see over their o-line protectors.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Yup, I'm 188 CM, not 213. I accidentally typed my height in inches as 84, not 74 for some reason. I blame a lack of coffee.
I'd overlooked this, for some reason. Could you explain to me how it is that lack of coffee makes you almost a foot shorter?
Note to Yks: never ever stop drinking coffee.

Quote:
Why can't you just use short guys? They can't get on the teams so there should be enough.
That is a sensible and logical solution. Which, I'm sure, is precisely why no one had ever thought of it. At least, no one who was involved with sport at a high level; there are undoubtedly some smart people who do baseball or something as a hobby.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Well... I haven't measured myself recently, there is a small chance that the pregnancy hormones have made me grow a bit. After all, my mom grew 2 extra cm while expecting me... And her eyes changed colour, they went from green to light brown. Which I didn't know until my own eyes started turning brown and I told her and she goes "oh, that's right, mine did that too with the first pregnancy". (I mean, everyone says your eyes don't change colour after childhood but I call bullshit. I was blue-gray until puberty, then turned green and now this...) now, my eyes are still mostly green, but maybe I still grew a little bit extra?

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill