art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute
Default I've just enjoyed urinating on the remains of my fallen enemy

The enemy being the ice in the iced up icebox in my fridge. Melting that is a nasty chore especially when you've neglected it for a good long while. I have gone 40 hours with very little sleep, but now I've finally gotten the last block of ice out of it. My trusty comrade in arms was the basin I normally use for washing dishes which gathered the loose blocks and most of the melt. So now the last melt and the final block were emptied to the toilet and as I watched the block that was at that point still too big to go down my bladder began to send the usual demands to my brain. So with great satisfaction I emptied my bladder on the last remains of my enemy and with the warmth of my urine the last ice block melted enough to fit the pipes and was flushed away with it. Victory is mine.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 08-09-2016, 03:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Congrats. I haven't had a freezer with that problem in years.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, defrosting a freezer can be speeded up a lot if you switch the thing off during the process, so that it doesn't try to fight you quite as hard.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
In my experience, defrosting a freezer can be speeded up a lot if you switch the thing off during the process, so that it doesn't try to fight you quite as hard.
Yes I am aware of this. It was that badly frozen.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 08-09-2016, 04:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Putting a pan of hot water in there tends to help, too.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 08-09-2016, 05:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
Too frozen to put anything in. And once I could actually open it the inside ice came loose fairly easily.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 08-09-2016, 06:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Too frozen to put anything in. And once I could actually open it the inside ice came loose fairly easily.
In that case you need to do it the other way around: put the whole freezer in a pan of hot water. May require a fairly big pan, of course.

Some tips (of variable usefulness):
-Don't wait so long next time. This one tends not ever to work, for some reason, but it's a good tip nonetheless.
-Be careful when breaking off ice from the inside. There are probably some things in the freezer (like pipes for the cooling fluid) that you don't want to break.
-Let the freezer dry once all the ice is gone. That will slow down new ice formation by at least a day, quite possibly as much as a week. (Should be longer, but let's be realistic.)
-Use a wooden stick to poke in the freezer when trying to get ice to break lose. A metal thing is too likely to damage stuff, and your fingers would get cold very quickly. If necessary, using someone else's fingers works fairly well too, though it may produce complaints.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
In that case you need to do it the other way around: put the whole freezer in a pan of hot water. May require a fairly big pan, of course.
Trust me, it's a lot easier to take the ice out than to move the whole thing to the pan even if you have one. Heating up that much water would take for ever too.
Quote:
Some tips (of variable usefulness):
1)-Don't wait so long next time. This one tends not ever to work, for some reason, but it's a good tip nonetheless.
2)-Be careful when breaking off ice from the inside. There are probably some things in the freezer (like pipes for the cooling fluid) that you don't want to break.
3)-Let the freezer dry once all the ice is gone. That will slow down new ice formation by at least a day, quite possibly as much as a week. (Should be longer, but let's be realistic.)
4)-Use a wooden stick to poke in the freezer when trying to get ice to break lose. A metal thing is too likely to damage stuff, and your fingers would get cold very quickly. If necessary, using someone else's fingers works fairly well too, though it may produce complaints.
1) This is the kind of chore that needs to be done once or twice a year. There is no routine for it. It's also never the most important job on the list. The only reason I got around to it this time was because I've gotten a lot of things done lately and could just go with the mental momentum.

2) Actually all the pipes are outside the freezer compartment. What you need to be careful with is the plastic. Get a crack there and the next thing you know is that you're looking for a new freezer.

3) Well it had time to dry while the ice outside was still melting.

4) I know my way with metal. The trick is to go along the walls trying to get the big chunks to let go off the plastic. Breaking the ice is just useless extra work. The real downside of metal tools is that soon enough it's another cold thing to hold.

Naz tips:

Do this in Summer. It's a waiting game no matter what but heat helps it along and it's nice to take breaks in the warm. Also, the work can be a way to take a break from the heat. Small as it is my entire appartment was a lot cooler in the two days this took.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 08-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Trust me, it's a lot easier to take the ice out than to move the whole thing to the pan even if you have one. Heating up that much water would take for ever too.
Ah, I've learned how to handle this from watching cookery programmes: just use the "here is one I prepared earlier" trick.

Quote:
1) This is the kind of chore that needs to be done once or twice a year. There is no routine for it. It's also never the most important job on the list. The only reason I got around to it this time was because I've gotten a lot of things done lately and could just go with the mental momentum.
I know it should be done once or twice a year. But it's the kind of thing that gets done once every couple of years, which is precisely the issue my tip addresses.

Quote:
2) Actually all the pipes are outside the freezer compartment. What you need to be careful with is the plastic. Get a crack there and the next thing you know is that you're looking for a new freezer.
Either you have a small freezer, or you have a peculiar layout. Or both.

Quote:
3) Well it had time to dry while the ice outside was still melting.
That's nice.

5. Plan it well in advance. Starting to thaw your freezer while you still have a lot of stuff in it isn't convenient at all. So start "not putting new stuff" in it days or weeks (depending on how fast you eat) before you actually do the thawing, so that you don't have to figure out how to keep lots of things frozen during a hot day.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

It's a freezer compartment inside a fridge. But even in a normal freezer the actual cold storage space is isolated from the pipes and mechanisms. Of course this is normal by finn standards maybe our system is just weird. Superior clearly, but still weird.

5. I did empty the food into my stomach. But a simple solution for any food that doesn't fit there would be a cold bag. You'd have to add some ice in it to keep it cool, but the whole point is that you have too much of it anyway and as soon as you run out you can start using the freezer again.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen