art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rogue One (Just Assume Spoilers)

So...anyone else see it yet?

I did and I thought it was excellent.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
So...anyone else see it yet?

I did and I thought it was excellent.
I haven't. Checking out of the office in half an hour for the Christmas lunch. Then after that going to see the 4:45 show...with the office. Like half the office hasn't seen Star Wars before...like any of it.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
I haven't. Checking out of the office in half an hour for the Christmas lunch. Then after that going to see the 4:45 show...with the office. Like half the office hasn't seen Star Wars before...like any of it.
That half probably won't appreciate it too much then.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-16-2016, 03:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That half probably won't appreciate it too much then.
It turns out that 2 of the 3 have seen like Eps 4 & 5...back when they first came out. One of the fun things about working for a 70 year old Architect.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Honestly, you really only need to have ever seen Episode 4 to know what's going on.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Honestly, you really only need to have ever seen Episode 4 to know what's going on.
Yeah, but that still means one is clueless.

Anyway, movie starts in 5 + commercials & trailers.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Saw it. Loved it.

Darker and with a terrific sense of pace. Top notch film making and top drawer star warsing

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 12-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Just got home from seeing and it was indeed very good. There were some points that I'd have done differently. I didn't mind the CGI in theory, but it did give me a terrible sense of the uncanny valley when it showed up.

The pace off the start was a little jumpy going from planet to planet, but it was sorta necessary to start things off.

I wasn't too keen on the "choke you" line. Seemed a little un-Vader-ish. I liked that anyone that didn't appear in another movie didn't survive through it. I had thought that perhaps they'd find a way from a character or two to survive, but taking them all out works and makes sense for the Original Trilogy, even if I felt that the scene on the beach with the megadeath cloud a little over done.

Giving Vader his moment of why he's an utter badass was good, but I think having the Tantive IV docked and barely escaping at the end wasn't quite right. I would have preferred it being nearby and in range to receive the plans a bit better. I get why they did it, but having Leia essentially in the middle of that fight doesn't quite make sense.

All-in-all though those are just minor complaints and on the whole I loved it. I think on first reflection I actually like it better than The Force Awakens.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

I didn't mind the CGI resurrections at all. I thought they did a great job with it to be honest.

Vader utterly destroyed those rebels...that scene was epic.

His one liner was groan worthy but then who's ever gonna tell him one of his jokes isn't funny. He's probably gotten used to his lackeys laughing at everything so he's forgotten what's funny.

I liked it a lot more than TFA.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

I don't mind the idea of CGI Cushing & young Carrie Fisher, but the Uncanny Valley hit so hard. It might have been due to the picture quality and I've seen many mixed reactions but they were way off compared to Mon Mothma.

Vader was a horror movie villain, an unstoppable Black Juggernaut, as he should be. That line was off...or perhaps it was the hand gesture. It seemed...childish. A younger Vader I could perhaps have bought it off of, but sering as how this is essentially the same Vader as from A New Hope, it didn't seem to fit.

Again, these are minor details that just seemed a bit off. Everything else was perfect down to the 70's esthetics for many of the rebels, the call outs to the original including those two that get cut down by Obi-Wan in Mos Eisley, the Ghost appearing & Hera (or her father) getting name checked on Yavin 4, the firing sequence on the Death Star. So much was just spot on.

Like one other minor annoyance, Storm Troopers. There were too many. I get they want the faceless legions, but my coworker turned to me and asked once it was over why the white guys were so useless. For the Empire's elite, they wee cut down really easily. They could have had some more generic troopers instead, although then you sorta tmrun into faceless extra vs those that show their faces.

Last edited by ShadowbaneX; 12-17-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Saw it thursday. It was okay, but I wasn't really blown away by it. I liked episode 7 better.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 12-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Another minor annoyance as an extension of an earlier annoyance: so Vader show's up twice, once on Mustafar with his choke line and then again one the Rebel flagship as the terror from the Abyss. How much greater an impact would he have had if the first sign he's around is hearing his mechanical breathing, followed by his lightsabre igniting?

That first scene with him is now pretty much a waste to me.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Well, with Mon Mothma there wasn't and CGI, that was just the same actress they used in Revenge of the sith that looks like the original. Tarkin didn't really freak me out. Leia looked far weirder than he did. Maybe because Tarkin is supposed to be creepy so it didn't really take away from the character where as Leia was like "ok that's weird CGI"

Old 12-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Another minor annoyance as an extension of an earlier annoyance: so Vader show's up twice, once on Mustafar with his choke line and then again one the Rebel flagship as the terror from the Abyss. How much greater an impact would he have had if the first sign he's around is hearing his mechanical breathing, followed by his lightsabre igniting?

That first scene with him is now pretty much a waste to me.
Yeah, that would have been awesome.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:30 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

I liked it, despite the choppy first half hour.

Admiral Torkin and Leia were very weird for me. That they were CGI was obvious, and I've seen better CGI in games. It wasn't so much their look as it was the weirdness of their movements. Even when they were still and just talking, it was bizarrely obvious they were fake.

I, too, found it weird that Leia would be so close to the battle. But apparently the initial extraction was written far differently, so these scenes were probably added later.

I was happy they all died. Till the end, I thought that they would only have the non-white actors die, and not have the guts to kill off everyone.

On the whole, this was a great addition, and this means Disney will be more adventurous in funding non-Skywalker Star Wars stories.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
I liked it, despite the choppy first half hour.

Admiral Torkin and Leia were very weird for me. That they were CGI was obvious, and I've seen better CGI in games. It wasn't so much their look as it was the weirdness of their movements. Even when they were still and just talking, it was bizarrely obvious they were fake.

I, too, found it weird that Leia would be so close to the battle. But apparently the initial extraction was written far differently, so these scenes were probably added later.

I was happy they all died. Till the end, I thought that they would only have the non-white actors die, and not have the guts to kill off everyone.

On the whole, this was a great addition, and this means Disney will be more adventurous in funding non-Skywalker Star Wars stories.
Its definitely a great example of the uncanny valley. I didn't really mind it so much. I saw it in IMAX 3D and it wasn't a huge freak out...at least for Tarkin. Leia at the end was freaky weird CGI and completely unnecessary. They really didnt need to show her face at all for that scene to work.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Its definitely a great example of the uncanny valley. I didn't really mind it so much. I saw it in IMAX 3D and it wasn't a huge freak out...at least for Tarkin. Leia at the end was freaky weird CGI and completely unnecessary. They really didnt need to show her face at all for that scene to work.
For geeks. If you're going into the movie blind, and there's quite a few now that haven't seen the Original Trilogy, they've got no idea who she is.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:38 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

So just to be that guy...

Where the fuck were the Bothans?

I kept waiting for them to show up and die

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin

Last edited by StrangePackage; 12-19-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post

SP, as that guy, your job is to go be a Bothan.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post

This was the first Death Star.

Many Bothans died getting the plans for the second Death Star.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire