art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future
Default how do you choose yours?

I am curious as to how you choose the books you read? Generally I go off recommendations, either here or from friends, or even Amazon for my kindle wish list. I am known on occasion tho to buy a book for its cover, and I've discovered some gems like that. Just last week I bought a book purely because it was 3" thick. Turns out it's also won the Man Booker prize so I'm hoping it's going to be a goodie...
Old 02-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
I am curious as to how you choose the books you read? Generally I go off recommendations, either here or from friends, or even Amazon for my kindle wish list. I am known on occasion tho to buy a book for its cover, and I've discovered some gems like that. Just last week I bought a book purely because it was 3" thick. Turns out it's also won the Man Booker prize so I'm hoping it's going to be a goodie...
True story: The reason I started reading WoT was due to the cover art of tEotW. Of course, I was 11 or 12 and it looked "neat" when I saw it in a used book sale bin at the local library (cost 25 cents) so that also probably had something to do with it.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Shantaram?

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 02-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

For a while I've been reading books because I have to, not because I necessarily want to. I've read some good books like that, but also some bores. Usually I look at what's similar to what I enjoy reading about, namely fantasy, sci-fi, scientific or historical books, or a combination of any of the above.

The covers have also been reasons for my picking up a book.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

when I'm in the book store, then the cover can influence me; also the genre and the back blurb. I started reading WoT because of the cover (the UK edition, the black one with just the Wheel and serpent symbol on it. It looked refreshingly uncluttered)

When I'm ordering books or getting ebooks, then I sometimes let suggestions from friends guide me.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Shantaram?
The Luminaries
Old 02-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Luminaries
Dammit. I nearly went with that one.

It looks interesting but when I rwad a review it came across as quite cliche. It must be incredibly well written to overcome the hackneyed subtext.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 02-19-2015, 04:46 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Dammit. I nearly went with that one.

It looks interesting but when I rwad a review it came across as quite cliche. It must be incredibly well written to overcome the hackneyed subtext.
Never read reviews in advance, that's my motto

I'll let you know when I finally get round to reading it anyway. I'm not so bothered about a huge cliché if it's well written anyway
Old 02-22-2015, 09:30 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Reviews, author. Still working my way through Neal Stephenson, although I think I've just about brutally slaughtered Sanderson and Pierce. Got a way to go with Hobb.

In the case of my longer lasting author killings, the entry point was a gift or a loan - TEotW, Fool's Errand, Anathem, Wild Magic...

I picked up a few new authors at the library in the years when I was sick. I'd go in with my wheelie trolley and sample a few pages from the thickest ones.

Currently Mieville is in the "gifted" category - one of his was on Zombie's Kindle (which also held the only copy of Firefight we have at the moment) and I've promised myself no reread for a while. Finished Kraken last night.

A couple have come through Tor previews: the Orphans of Chais set came through that.

Some authors I can't handle all their work: Stephenson I really need to settle down to read in huge chunks. John Marsden is too heartbreaking in some of his, despite my affection for the Ellie Linton books. Sara Douglass had a rather hair-raising approach to rape (sooo much RaD). I'm not sure why I've not picked up more Irvine. (Not as flowing as the others, my head says, but "I can't afford it" is the excuse at the checkout.)

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 02-23-2015, 12:34 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Generally, I first go by title/cover and then by the summary. But I almost always look for something with a medieval fantasy setting (with a few exceptions).
Old 12-03-2016, 02:11 AM
Ancient

Purple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of light

´mostly just listen to the voices in my head...
Adopted Big Brother to Birgitte (the lazy git
Adopted Big Brother to Sarafelle - The Brave
Master Asha'man Dragon of Cary the Fairy and T'rubarb