art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Pending Dutch Apocalypse

Is Geert Wilders going to win tomorrow?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
It sounds like even if he gets the largest share of the vote, that he won't have anywhere near enough to form a coalition government on his own, and no other party will work with him to do so.

Usual caveats on growing concerns with (in)accuracy of polling in the days of Brexit and Trump, but...

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ve-of-election

Quote:
The prospect of Geert Wilders emerging as the winner of Wednesday’s Dutch election was thrown into doubt by two polls on the eve of voting that showed his anti-Islam, anti-European Union Freedom Party slumping to fifth place in one survey and third in another.

The final poll from I&O Research showed Wilders’s party on 16 seats in the 150-member lower house of parliament, down four seats from a survey released just the day before. The last Ipsos survey before the election gave the Freedom Party 20 seats, a drop of three from last week. Both polls showed Prime Minister Mark Rutte’s Liberals gaining three seats -- to 27 and 29 respectively.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As a country that already had a white nationalist as our President, it'll be nice to not be alone among the ostracized nations of the West.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-15-2017, 04:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather be alone honestly. Let's not make this the new normal.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Depends on how one defines "win", I hope.

I suspect that whatever the outcome, Wilders will call it a win.
I would be very surprised if he got as many as a quarter of the seats in parliament, which still wouldn't be anywhere near enough to form a government on his own. Getting between 35 and 40 seats would be comparable to what the current two coalition parties each have.
If he did get 20 seats (out of 150 total), then that would be a huge increase over his current 12, but still less than the 24 he had in the elections before that.

All in all, the only thing he does, the only thing he can do, is make noise. He's very good at that, though, I admit.

Edited to add: The PVV actually has 15 seats. I have no idea why the English Wiki page on our parliament says it has 12 seats. I also don't know why the Dutch Wiki claims the PVV has 12 seats in one part of the page and (correctly) that it has 15 seats in another part. Maybe the English version is based on the incorrect Dutch one, of course. Or vice versa.

Last edited by GonzoTheGreat; 03-16-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd rather be alone honestly. Let's not make this the new normal.
Misery loves company, T.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39285803

Exit polls having the Nazi walking away with 19 seats but well behind the PM's party who will have 31 seats.

So...good news then hopefully?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 03-15-2017, 05:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

It's late there so I guess we won't get real results until tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39285803

Exit polls having the Nazi walking away with 19 seats but well behind the PM's party who will have 31 seats.

So...good news then hopefully?
at 95% counted, we've got results for the moderate right PM at 33 seats, Wilders at 20, christian democrats and progressive right at 19, far-left and left+greens at 14 and the established moderate left at a historical low of 9. (out of 150 seats total)

The only possible coalition I could see happening would be center right + some christian parties.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset

Last edited by Sarevok; 03-16-2017 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty big win for the green party. Tripled their previous seats. Or were the four seats unsually low and they just got back their previous loss?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-16-2017, 04:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

GroenLinks (GreenLeft) are back up from taking a pretty bad hit last elections, but 14 is still an all-time high. Highest previously was 11 in 1998.
Keep in mind that PvdD (Party for Animals) is also a green and leftist party, but with more emphasis on the green, where GreenLeft has more emphasis on the left.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
GroenLinks (GreenLeft) are back up from taking a pretty bad hit last elections, but 14 is still an all-time high. Highest previously was 11 in 1998.
Keep in mind that PvdD (Party for Animals) is also a green and leftist party, but with more emphasis on the green, where GreenLeft has more emphasis on the left.
Two green parties huh. So are they at odds with eachother over their differences or allies with different priorities but the same ultimate goal?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-16-2017, 04:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Two green parties huh. So are they at odds with eachother over their differences or allies with different priorities but the same ultimate goal?
More likely to be allies, but PvdD is a new kid on the block, so we'll have to see. The previous elections were the first where they got any seats, and with only 2, they had to pick their battles.

Update on seats: with 97% counted, no changes to the previous one I linked.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
More likely to be allies, but PvdD is a new kid on the block, so we'll have to see. The previous elections were the first where they got any seats, and with only 2, they had to pick their battles.
It's more that they made statements on which side they were on rather than actually hoping to effect the outcome. Advertising for the next election as it were. Seems to be working.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
It's more that they made statements on which side they were on rather than actually hoping to effect the outcome. Advertising for the next election as it were. Seems to be working.
No, they actually did try to get stuff done. But a 2-man party just can't get much stuff done.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Looks like it will be exceedingly hard for them to form a government given those splits.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Looks like it will be exceedingly hard for them to form a government given those splits.
Yup, but we're kinda used to that by now. The record is 207 days.

Update on votes at 99,2% counted: same as above, except there is a chance PvdD might lose 1 seat to 50Plus.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

One US political blog I followed had the following as the most likely coalition:

VVD: 33
CDA: 19
D66: 19

Total: 71 (5 short of a majority)

So they'd need to find 5 more seats out of the rest which sounds like it'd be hard. Maybe the 50+ party if they got to that 5th seat. The CU also has 5 seats but they're not exactly a natural ally of those other 3 either. Maybe the PvdD? Again, not a natural ally.

They said the PvDA would be the most logical but that that might not happen due to them getting destroyed this time around.

Is that all ridiculous or do they have any clue how Dutch politics work?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
One US political blog I followed had the following as the most likely coalition:

VVD: 33
CDA: 19
D66: 19

Total: 71 (5 short of a majority)

So they'd need to find 5 more seats out of the rest which sounds like it'd be hard. Maybe the 50+ party if they got to that 5th seat. The CU also has 5 seats but they're not exactly a natural ally of those other 3 either. Maybe the PvdD? Again, not a natural ally.

They said the PvDA would be the most logical but that that might not happen due to them getting destroyed this time around.

Is that all ridiculous or do they have any clue how Dutch politics work?
Sounds about right. I actually give them going with the Christian Union the best chance, because 50+'s plan for pensions and such seems to be abit unrealistic, while at the same time 50+ probably won't budge on that, because it was their main point in the campaign.

The only other possibility I see (short of VVD breaking a campaign promise and going with PVV anyway), would be a center + left coalition of 6, with D66/CDA/GL/SP/PvdA/PvdD, but that's unlikely.

Can you link that blog? Outside perspectives on the whole thing are interesting.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp201...16.html#item-8

Enjoy.

Its a center-left perspective for the most part and it stays pretty analytical for US election/political events.