art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Ancient

Purple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Suggestion!

What do people suggest for a nice longer series?
Author isn't so important, but i WOULD like for it to maybe be a series where the author do NOT "depart" too soon... not that anyone can really guarantee that one...
Adopted Big Brother to Birgitte (the lazy git
Adopted Big Brother to Sarafelle - The Brave
Master Asha'man Dragon of Cary the Fairy and T'rubarb
Old 12-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Youngling

jarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nice

Recently, I've been reading the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. This currently stands at 4 books, with at least 2 more to come, and at 39 the author is still quite young. I liked this series a lot, and the magic system is very creative (on par with the best from Brandon Sanderson).

Another nice series is the Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

I can't remember, have you read Malazan? The main series (10 books) is already done, but the authors keep expanding on it with smaller series/trilogies/novellas.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:04 AM
Ancient

Purple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
I can't remember, have you read Malazan? The main series (10 books) is already done, but the authors keep expanding on it with smaller series/trilogies/novellas.
nope... no i have not read Malazan series... i have finished WoT and Discworld and Happy Rotter... but been doing too many things lately to actually read a book too
Old 12-03-2016, 05:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Robin Hobb? Something like a series of trilogies. Fairly long reads all of them.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Dragon View Post
nope... no i have not read Malazan series... i have finished WoT and Discworld and Happy Rotter... but been doing too many things lately to actually read a book too
I'll second the suggestion of Malazan. Sanderson also has quite a few worthy series if you haven't tried any of his non-WoT works. The Mistborn books especially were really good, but the Stormlight series seems off to a good start, as does Warbreaker. Guy Gavriel Kay doesn't tend to do series so much as stand alone fantasy novels (except the Fionavar trilogy, but I haven't read those), but they are really excellent - Tigana probably is the single best fantasy novel I've ever read.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Are you only looking for Fantasy or also Sci Fi or urban fantasy and stuff like that?
What do you consider long?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:00 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Are you only looking for Fantasy or also Sci Fi or urban fantasy and stuff like that?
What do you consider long?
Fantasy to begin with, but...Urban Fantasy? not sure i even KNOW what that is... RS mentioned several years ago a type of story where the premise was that the confederate army had somehow gotten modern weapons... that sounded kinda interesting too... anything like what Urban Fantasy is?
Old 12-12-2016, 04:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

The Guns of the South - Harry Turtledove
And that isn't Urban Fantasy, I think. Too much countryside, for one thing. To much SciFi, for another. I suspect that the Twilight saga should count as UF, but I also suspect that neither fans of Meyer nor fans of UF would agree.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
The Guns of the South - Harry Turtledove
And that isn't Urban Fantasy, I think. Too much countryside, for one thing. To much SciFi, for another. I suspect that the Twilight saga should count as UF, but I also suspect that neither fans of Meyer nor fans of UF would agree.
That -- and pretty much everything by Harry Turtledove -- is "Alternate History."

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
I'll second the suggestion of Malazan.
Thirded

Also, The Black Company by Glen Cook: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 12-13-2016, 01:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Brandon Sanderson is still awesome.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 12-15-2016, 03:05 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
Brandon Sanderson is still awesome.
where to start then, sare?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
where to start then, sare?
Easiest would be Warbreaker, since it's right here:
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/draf...ver_1st_ed.pdf
After that, I'd recommend his Cosmere books in the order they were published
Here they're listed by sub-series, but publication years are mentioned too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brando..._Cosmere_Cycle

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 12-15-2016, 04:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have you read Farseer?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 06:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Malazan is hit and miss. With me it was a definite miss.

I really liked the Robin Hobb books (Farseer) that were already mentioned... More long ones... You can try the Dragonrider series by Anne McCaffrey, she died a few years ago but the series is twenty something books. She did write the first ones in the 60s so some of the social commentary is... A little outdated. I assume you've read Harry Potter? 7 books, that one.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 12-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
That -- and pretty much everything by Harry Turtledove -- is "Alternate History."
Another title for it would be "See, the South Wasn't So Bad..." given the amount of whitewashing of southern history he does in those alternate histories.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-22-2016, 06:04 AM
Ancient

Default done reading list

Harry Potter Done
Artemis Fowl - Done
Wheel of Time - Doh
Discworld - Done
Percy Jackson + spin offs - done
Robin Hobb - Done
Original Dune - done
Star Ward - Do NOT get me started
Dragon Riders of Pern - first ones done
Mercedes Lackey - there might be one or two i have not read but still... done
edited because people are crazy...
The Hoobit - Done when i was 12
Lord of the Ring - Done when i was 16
Silmarillion - done at 33
Dan Brown thingies - Done

Last edited by Purple Dragon; 12-22-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Technically, Dune isn't Fantasy.
You could try the Amber series by Roger Zelazny, though finding those may be difficult nowadays.
And of course there's always Lord of the Rings to try.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Stephen King's Dark Tower series also comes to mind. It's more fantasy than horror, though it overlaps with some of his horror novels (like Salem's Lot). It trails off a bit at the end, but the first five books are really good, with the fourth book, Wizard and Glass, being one of the best fantasy novels I've come across. One of the other overlap novels, Eyes of the Dragon, is probably my second favorite King novel.