art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Meanwhile, While Everyone Is Outraged Over Healthcare...

https://www.genomeweb.com/policy-leg...rimination-law

Another bill is quietly advancing through Congress that would destroy genetic privacy.

WTF is wrong with the GOP???

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they're all possessed by demons. It does seem to get pretty hard to find arguments to refute that theory, at least.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
https://www.genomeweb.com/policy-leg...rimination-law

Another bill is quietly advancing through Congress that would destroy genetic privacy.

WTF is wrong with the GOP???
Can't see the article without registering. So different link or copy-paste please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Maybe they're all possessed by demons. It does seem to get pretty hard to find arguments to refute that theory, at least.
That's insulting Gonzo. Demons have standards. They wouldn't touch GOP with a ten foot pole.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...ns-genes-bill/

Does this one work?

If not, maybe this one...

https://www.statnews.com/2017/03/10/...netic-testing/

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 03-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Those work just fine.

But the whole thing is pretty vague. If I understood this right the people we might refer to as "employers" want access to the medical information of their employees and specifically their genetic information. What I don't understand is why they want this information.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Those work just fine.

But the whole thing is pretty vague. If I understood this right the people we might refer to as "employers" want access to the medical information of their employees and specifically their genetic information. What I don't understand is why they want this information.
"Oh, you have the potential for some odd genetic issue? We ain't keeping you around, that'll cost us a fortune"

That's a start. Also, they can then turn around and sell that information...which is scary in itself.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
"Oh, you have the potential for some odd genetic issue? We ain't keeping you around, that'll cost us a fortune"

That's a start. Also, they can then turn around and sell that information...which is scary in itself.
And the latter part wouldn't be a crime?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Even beyond the obvious privacy concerns and potential healthcare ramifications, this still seems like it would open a host of wrongful termination lawsuits if it was actually used as the basis for firing someone. I wonder if this wasn't just initiated by a lobbyist for the genetic testing industry out of a desire to drum up more business. Certainly it seems pretty random.

Quote:
The bill, HR 1313, was approved by a House committee on Wednesday, with all 22 Republicans supporting it and all 17 Democrats opposed. It has been overshadowed by the debate over the House GOP proposal to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, but the genetic testing bill is expected to be folded into a second ACA-related measure containing a grab-bag of provisions that do not affect federal spending, as the main bill does.
It's hard to imagine that all 22 republicans could support something so blatantly obtrusive without money changing hands. This smells like lobbying to me.

And we can't pretend that this kind of wellness annoyances have been completely limited to republicans...

Quote:
Employers got virtually everything they wanted for their workplace wellness programs during the Obama administration. The ACA allowed them to charge employees 30 percent, and possibly 50 percent, more for health insurance if they declined to participate in the “voluntary” programs, which typically include cholesterol and other screenings; health questionnaires that ask about personal habits, including plans to get pregnant; and sometimes weight loss and smoking cessation classes. And in rules that Obama’s Equal Employment Opportunity Commission issued last year, a workplace wellness program counts as “voluntary” even if workers have to pay thousands of dollars more in premiums and deductibles if they don’t participate.
Those examples at least seem more like legitimate wellness tests, but still could (and perhaps should) be viewed as, and argued to be egregious intrusions. This does underscore just how ridiculous a position it is however to push for these types of cost-saving wellness programs while simultaneously fighting against the inclusion of one the most obvious cost-saving features - birth control.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
This does underscore just how ridiculous a position it is however to push for these types of cost-saving wellness programs while simultaneously fighting against the inclusion of one the most obvious cost-saving features - birth control.
Just look at it from an utterly selfish point of view. The first makes it easier for you to sin so you are all for it and the other makes it easier for others to sin so you are against it. If someone else has more fun than you then you've lost.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Since when has that ever stopped anyone?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Those work just fine.

If employers can't ask for genetic test results, it makes it difficult for them to be required to force people to use the appropriate restroom for their genetic type.

Of course the government has a responsibility to make sure employers can comply with such vital public safety concerns. [/sarcasm]

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Since when has that ever stopped anyone?
The fact that something is illegal? Oh quite a few times. Naturally there are those it wouldn't stop just like people still get murdered in spite of all the laws against it. But there is a difference in a law that is inefficiently enforced and there not being a law at all. The first just requires some fine tuning while the other demands definite change before you can even get to the fine tuning.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-11-2017, 03:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Why would it be a crime for businessmen to sell some commodity they happened to get their hands on in a legal way?

If you don't want anyone to know your genetic make up, then simply don't have genes. You are (legally speaking) free to do that; if you don't, then the consequences are your problem, not anyone else's.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Why would it be a crime for businessmen to sell some commodity they happened to get their hands on in a legal way?

If you don't want anyone to know your genetic make up, then simply don't have genes. You are (legally speaking) free to do that; if you don't, then the consequences are your problem, not anyone else's.
They aren't selling a commodity, they are selling a copy of information. That's copyright infringment. You can sue them for millions.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-11-2017, 05:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
They aren't selling a commodity, they are selling a copy of information. That's copyright infringment. You can sue them for millions.
Only if you're Disney. Since you aren't, you can't. Sometimes law is so simple that even I understand it.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Those examples at least seem more like legitimate wellness tests, but still could (and perhaps should) be viewed as, and argued to be egregious intrusions. This does underscore just how ridiculous a position it is however to push for these types of cost-saving wellness programs while simultaneously fighting against the inclusion of one the most obvious cost-saving features - birth control.
I agree with the first few words. If employers are going to be responsible for their employees healthcare, or at least partially responsible, then they are being given a right to demand that their employees make a minimal effort to be healthy.

I am sure this is bound to cause issues, but healthcare is not a right. It is a privilege. One that any decent, humane civilization should strive to provide, but not a right nonetheless. It does bother me a lot, on an ideological level, that I, as a healthy person (not super healthy, but reasonably so) am forced to subsidize the healthcare of people who spent their whole lives smoking or eating unhealthily. On a practical level, that is the concession we make to live in a society and I'm happy to do it from that standpoint, but I am a fervent believer in so-called "sin taxes"; if you smoke, you pay a big tax, in part to cover the cost of your more expensive long term care. Same should be true for soft drinks, fast food, etc.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I agree with the first few words. If employers are going to be responsible for their employees healthcare, or at least partially responsible, then they are being given a right to demand that their employees make a minimal effort to be healthy.

I am sure this is bound to cause issues, but healthcare is not a right. It is a privilege. One that any decent, humane civilization should strive to provide, but not a right nonetheless. It does bother me a lot, on an ideological level, that I, as a healthy person (not super healthy, but reasonably so) am forced to subsidize the healthcare of people who spent their whole lives smoking or eating unhealthily. On a practical level, that is the concession we make to live in a society and I'm happy to do it from that standpoint, but I am a fervent believer in so-called "sin taxes"; if you smoke, you pay a big tax, in part to cover the cost of your more expensive long term care. Same should be true for soft drinks, fast food, etc.
Placing incentives (and disincentives) on smoking is one thing, but genetic testing would pick up things likes risk for cancers, for obesity, for high blood pressure - things that have the potential to be as much, or more, genetically linked than lifestyle linked. That starts sounding a bit too much like eugenics for the sake of cost efficiency.

As an aside, this is part of the reason why many of us want single payer via the government, rather than via employer.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Suppose that someone showed that voting Republican correlated with bad health, would employers then be entitled to see what every one of their employees had voted?
If not, why not? Can't be privacy or the "sanctity of the voting booth" or something like that. Privacy isn't a right in the USA, and the sanctity of things is a religious concept, so the government should not mess around with it.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

Healthcare is a right. A country has a duty to protect its citizens from danger including poor health. If a country allows vices like smoking, fast food, alcohol and so on, it accepts the duty of dealing with the issues rising from the practice of those vices. If an individual is to be punished on a legal level their activities have to be illegal. Anything else is poor governance.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Healthcare is a right.
Not in America. Whether it should be is obviously part of the debate, but what is truly being argued isn't so much whether it should be a right (like say life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness), but whether it is something that taxes dollars should automatically be earmarked for (i.e. the dem position), or something that you should only have the right to either pay for on your own privately, or via negotiation with your employer (i.e. the republican position), with both essentially also agreeing that the poor (especially poor children) should be provided for by the government (i.e. Medicaid).

If it was purely a right, then we would be arguing Medicaid for all, rather than that for the majority it should be paid for via taxes or paid via collective negotiation through your employer. So this isn't so much an issue of a right, as an issue of the government and its populace saying that it benefits the entire society for everyone to be covered, and thus forcing those who are able to pay for coverage in some way, and the rest (the poor) to be covered directly by the government. And even Medicaid isn't truly free (at least as far as I'm aware, I've obviously never had any personal experience with it), just heavily subsidized.