art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > Bug Reports
User Name
Password

Old 09-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Another reason not to archive boards

It's not necessary according to WH (who has been an admin at a vBulletin site for a long time) because you don't lose posts just because a particular board is getting big (as was the case on ezBoard), and also because you can change the index page list so that it doesn't run off the page, so that's not a problem.

But I also just noticed that it screws up the searching functions. Now, if I go to WH's profile, and "find all threads started by Weird Harold", I don't get any of the topics in the archived Non-WoT board. Same with "find all posts by Weird Harold". That is a serious pain in the ass.

So, I can't see any reason to archive them at all - the search function makes it easy enough to find what you're looking for.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a search function?

Just kidding, I like the search function here far more than the one on the old Yuku/EZboards. I also like being able to find all the threads started by people or even myself (I realized how many inane threads I started when I did this).

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
But I also just noticed that it screws up the searching functions.
There is apparently some option to disable the search function in archives, because the search function should turn up thread in the archive -- especially when you explicity select the archive as the forum to search.

I't probably similar to the toggle to make archives visible in the index.

It is something that needs to be fixed, because archives are useless if they can't be searched.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

You can search the archived board, but that's not the aspect of the searching function I was talking about - I'm talking about the "find all posts/threads" option for each user.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
You can search the archived board, but that's not the aspect of the searching function I was talking about - I'm talking about the "find all posts/threads" option for each user.
Actually, I tried to search the archive by username before I posted that. I didn't try a keyword search because I didn't expect it to work if the simplest and quickest search function (searching one field of the post headers) didn't work.

ETA: Apparently nobody mentioned either "Moggy" or "Rand" in that archived forum becaue neither word turns up any results as a keyword search term... <shrugs>

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.

Last edited by Weird Harold; 09-27-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Well, it is a Non-WoT forum.

I tried searching it now too, and you're right - it definitely doesn't work (even though the forum shows up in the search list):

Last edited by Terez; 09-27-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Very, Very Scary Admin

Nae'blis has disabled reputation

I could have sworn I set the Search option to 'on'. Turns out that it was set to off. Search away.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Be careful with that toggle switch there, Nae'blis.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Very, Very Scary Admin

Nae'blis has disabled reputation

Quote:
Be careful with that toggle switch there, Nae'blis.
Be careful or you might find your post count reset or your title changed.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Honestly, I'm not worried much about either.