art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
And you'll recall that Bill won by running as a Center Right "Third Way" candidate instead of as a Democrat.

My hatred of her is more about the HOW of what she does rather than what's she's doing. She just reeks of shadiness and she always has. She's her husband without the charisma. Nobody likes her and that'll destroy any chance she ever had of building any sort of consensus.

Is she worse than Trump? God no. And that's why I'll vote for her but she's pretty much the worst possible choice the Dems could have made in an election year where they should win by 15%.
This one word encapsulates why she is in trouble. I still think the Bernie crowd refuses to give Trump enough credit. He is charismatic. Far more so than Hillary or Bernie. The Republicans came together, the fact that the dems still haven't, along with Trump's skill as a con man strikes me as the difference in this election.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
This one word encapsulates why she is in trouble. I still think the Bernie crowd refuses to give Trump enough credit. He is charismatic. Far more so than Hillary or Bernie. The Republicans came together, the fact that the dems still haven't, along with Trump's skill as a con man strikes me as the difference in this election.
Trump's entire career is built on being a showman. He exudes charisma. Its always "on" for him. That's why he's so bloody dangerous. He's your classic strongman. I'd put Hillary winning at 50/50 right now...at best. He will destroy her in the debates...because its a Show, not a real debate. He'll bluster, talk over her, using short talking points and she'll having nothing to come back with.

On average, people are stupid...very very stupid. I say that because I'm an arrogant, stuck up, intellectual who is used to being the "smartest person in a room" on any given day. (Note: I know how that sounds and I dont care, I'm sick of idiots) I'm that asshole that tested in the 99% percentile in everything every single time. That said, people are incredibly stupid regardless of what they think and they fall for his act.

Hillary was an incredibly stupid decision by the DNC elite and it'll likely bite them in the ass big time. Sadly, they likely lose the Senate again too (well, they likely wont win a majority and that's all that matters)...so there's a good chance of having Trump in charge and a GOP led house and senate. Day 1 will be "eliminating the filibuster". Day 2 will be nominating/approving the most far right wing SCOTUS candidate on earth...someone who makes Scalia look like Thurgood Marshall.

The apes will be running things by 2018...after the great atomic wars have destroyed human civilization. Upside...at least maybe that'll put us on a path for Cochran to invent Warp Drive in time for the Vulcans to find us in a few more decades, eh?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 07-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I look forward to Southpaw's inevitable massive rebutal post here...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 07-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

*insert laughter of one who is not amused here*
Trump far right? Trump has flip-flopped from both parties several times. He's shown to be both enemies and friends with the Clintons. He has not announced one policy of being fiscally responsible.

What Trump is, and Clinton is too, is an authoritarian that admires people like Putin and Erdogan. Even to the point of having a creepy obsession with them that nearly trumps (no pun intended) his creepy comment about dating his own daughter.

Me? I won't vote for either one. Had Clinton been anyone else, she would have been charged for negligence. Trump? Don't get me started.

I'll vote 3rd party over those two any day.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
*insert laughter of one who is not amused here*
Trump far right? Trump has flip-flopped from both parties several times. He's shown to be both enemies and friends with the Clintons. He has not announced one policy of being fiscally responsible.

What Trump is, and Clinton is too, is an authoritarian that admires people like Putin and Erdogan. Even to the point of having a creepy obsession with them that nearly trumps (no pun intended) his creepy comment about dating his own daughter.

Me? I won't vote for either one. Had Clinton been anyone else, she would have been charged for negligence. Trump? Don't get me started.

I'll vote 3rd party over those two any day.
Regardless of his personal opinions, he's running as a Fascist/Nationalist candidate. That's "far right" in case you were unaware.

Last edited by Davian93; 07-25-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Trump is far too authoritarian and far too friendly with Putin. How has Hillary demonstrated either of those qualities?

Quote:
Had Clinton been anyone else, she would have been charged for negligence. Trump? Don't get me started.
This is far too ex post facto. Using a private email server was paranoid, but it wasn't negligent, nor was it in any way criminal. If people want to use it as an example of why she's near Nixon level paranoid, fine. But let's not pretend that it was in any way criminal when she set it up. If there was anything that was actually bad in those emails both the Republicans and Assange would have leaked it to the whole world. Like Benghazi, like Whitewater, like Vince Foster, like Monica Lewinsky, like all the silly witch-hunting of the Clintons, this was much ado about nothing. All that is however why she is so paranoid...

Now, contrast that with Trump University. That was a real crime - fraud. People don't like Hillary, but as much as they want to paint her as a criminal, all the accusations against her still are transparently ridiculous.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Trump is far too authoritarian and far too friendly with Putin.
Very interesting that the Russian hack of the DNC servers was released at the worst possible time. Some might consider that a deliberate interference in the internal affairs of the United States by a foreign power. Given how friendly the two seem, you almost wonder if Trump's team (or Trump personally) had anything to do with it.

Up there with Reagan's team and their backdoor deal with Iran in the lead up to the 1980 election.

No way its possible, right? Right?

Old 07-25-2016, 02:36 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Very interesting that the Russian hack of the DNC servers was released at the worst possible time. Some might consider that a deliberate interference in the internal affairs of the United States by a foreign power. Given how friendly the two seem, you almost wonder if Trump's team (or Trump personally) had anything to do with it.

Up there with Reagan's team and their backdoor deal with Iran in the lead up to the 1980 election.

No way its possible, right? Right?
What, you mean things like this?

http://www.politifact.com/global-new...er-and-his-ti/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/op...nd-russia.html

Quote:
Paul Manafort, Trump’s campaign chairman, has a history of representing heinous dictators, including Viktor Yanukovych of Ukraine, a Kremlin puppet who was deposed by revolution in 2014.
Quote:
Manafort has ties to Oleg Deripaska, who made a shocking fortune in the aluminum business through his Kremlin connections and, as Michael Isikoff, chief investigative journalist for Yahoo News, reported in April, “for years was barred from entering the United States over allegations of ties to organized crime.”

Isikoff wrote that investigators in the Cayman Islands questioned Manafort “in connection with” a $26.2 million investment from Deripaska for a failed telecommunications project in Ukraine. Isikoff said Manafort had “multiple business deals” with “another pro-Putin oligarch, Dmitri Firtash.”
And, as was the original point of this thread, I think that Assange has obvious links to Putin too.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

I'm sure its all a coincidence...no way the Right Wing of the US would vote/support a guy that is clearly 100% in it to sell the US for money and destroy our democracy.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Kaine was a mistake, but Bill Clinton was president 20 years ago. Hillary and Tim Kaine are not more conservative than her husband. Nor any more conservative than Obama.
Hillary is far more conservative than Obama. Problem is, she had a great deal of influence on his administration.

Quote:
Why does Bernie get a pass on gun control, but Hillary doesn't on free trade?
Impact. The kind of gun control laws that are feasible under the Constitution are far less helpful than badly negotiated trade deals are damaging to ordinary Americans.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

To be fair on gun control, Bernie's views are also similar to that of his constituents so its fairly understandable that he held them.

Much akin to Kirstin Gillibrand's views while she was a Representative and how they changed once she became a Senator. No one hammered her on them since she is merely representing the people who voted for her there.

Overall, I dont understand how Hillary doesn't grasp that DWS is political poison right now. It leaves the options of she is literally an idiot or she's so arrogant she think's she's already won.

Neither are good possibilities. How the hell is DWS even at the Convention on camera at this point? Someone needs to lock her in a room and throw away the key until its over.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Hillary is far more conservative than Obama. Problem is, she had a great deal of influence on his administration.
Perception is not always reality.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/h...on-is-liberal/

Quote:
To see how these different issues fit together to form an overall political ideology, we usually use three metrics: one based on congressional voting record, one based on public statements and one based on fundraising.

Clinton was one of the most liberal members during her time in the Senate. According to an analysis of roll call votes by Voteview, Clinton’s record was more liberal than 70 percent of Democrats in her final term in the Senate. She was more liberal than 85 percent of all members. Her 2008 rival in the Democratic presidential primary, Barack Obama, was nearby with a record more liberal than 82 percent of all members — he was not more liberal than Clinton.

Clinton also has a history of very liberal public statements. Clinton rates as a “hard core liberal” per the OnTheIssues.org scale. She is as liberal as Elizabeth Warren and barely more moderate than Bernie Sanders. And while Obama is also a “hard core liberal,” Clinton again was rated as more liberal than Obama.
Quote:
here have been a few issues on which Hillary Clinton has taken more centrist positions. She, of course, voted for the Iraq War (she now says that was a mistake). Clinton has been mostly pro free trade (although she hasn’t said much of anything on the Trans-Pacific Partnership). And she has been against marijuana legalization, and seemingly remains so.
That position on marijuana is dumb, the other two make sense. The free trade deals are unpopular, but still in America's best interest. That's why Obama negotiated them. That's why Bill realized he couldn't turn against NAFTA after he inherited it. The Iraq War vote was clearly mistaken in retrospect, but not within the moment. Libya could however be pointed to as another example. But hawk/dove is not a conservative/liberal issue. There are hawks and doves in both parties, neither stance is progressive or conservative. The same is true of free trade.

Quote:
Impact. The kind of gun control laws that are feasible under the Constitution are far less helpful than badly negotiated trade deals are damaging to ordinary Americans.
I disagree, strongly, but then this issue clearly matters to me far more than free trade. And we once had far more pragmatic gun laws. The change was not due to anything intrinsic within the Constitution, it was due to Scalia.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gore FINALLY endorses Hillary.

I guess her views on climate change shifted enough in the past 8 hours for him to change his mind.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Overall, I dont understand how Hillary doesn't grasp that DWS is political poison right now. It leaves the options of she is literally an idiot or she's so arrogant she think's she's already won.

Neither are good possibilities. How the hell is DWS even at the Convention on camera at this point? Someone needs to lock her in a room and throw away the key until its over.
Obviously Hillary isn't an idiot. From what I know about her, she values loyalty to her (and Bill) above all else, except in situations she deems politically untenable. She clearly thinks she can get away with this politically, so personal loyalty wins.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:58 PM
Ancient

That was a a damn good speech by Cory Booker. Both he and Sarah Silverman have done a really fine job before a pretty tough crowd.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Trump far right?
Perhaps a more accurate way of describing him is: Trump is far wrong.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Perhaps a more accurate way of describing him is: Trump is far wrong.
That works.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Ancient

Sad that it has taken this long for a formal declaration, but...

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...igence-service

Quote:
CIA Director Mike Pompeo blasted WikiLeaks, singling out the group’s founder Julian Assange as leader of a hostile force that threatens the U.S.

“It is time to call out WikiLeaks for what it really is -- a non-state hostile intelligence service” often aided by nations such as Russia, Pompeo said Thursday in his first public speech since becoming head of the Central Intelligence Agency. “WikiLeaks walks like a hostile intelligence service and talks like a hostile intelligence service.”

The group has encouraged followers to pursue jobs at the CIA in order to pilfer intelligence, Pompeo told the audience at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. He denounced Assange, who calls himself a champion of transparency in government, as a “narcissist” and a “fraud -- a coward hiding behind a screen.”
Unfortunate that Moreno won the recent election in Ecuador, or else we likely now would be negotiating Assange's extradition back to America to face espionage charges.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Just read this thread from the beginning. Good times.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Just read this thread from the beginning. Good times.
I hate that I was 100% right on what would happen with Hillary and then Trump winning.