art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
But how are we supposed to know that if we're not told explicitly that it's a metaphor?
Read and find out.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Though it should be mentioned he is also responsible for the abortions that were the Admiral Daala SW books...aka Jedi Academy Trilogy. Those books were pretty much the nadir of early SW novels. Up there with Truce at Bakura for fan-fic level of writing ability.

There is Timothy Zahn for SW writers, and then there is everyone else.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 10-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Youngling

neurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Though it should be mentioned he is also responsible for the abortions that were the Admiral Daala SW books...aka Jedi Academy Trilogy. Those books were pretty much the nadir of early SW novels. Up there with Truce at Bakura for fan-fic level of writing ability.

Ugh I had forgotten about those. Thanks for that.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Youngling

The Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really niceThe Angry Druid is just really nice

My hopes that aMoL won't suck are dimming fast.

While I didn't hate it, maybe my expectations have been lowered to the point that I can no longer be disappointed.

BS and Team Jordan seeming to miss essential facts about a man-woman link, who initiates, seeing the flows, etc. was jarring, and kind of pathetic given we saw it in one of the great scenes of the series.

I mean, wouldn't any author (or editor) make sure that both scenes comported with each other? I guess not. Still, that is mind blowing.

Elayne not being able to sense Aviendha, and getting her channeling back would also seem to be less obvious errors, but errors nonetheless.

And in typical BS fashion, every character is made to act foolish. Androl and Pevara (who are both supposed to kick ass) talking about small stuff (and ground they should have covered long ago) instead of how to get out of the predicament they are in. Did Pevara ever make her suggestions?

Ditto Avi and Elayne. And Elayne cursing in semi-public seemed a bit our of character. But she was far to flippant for me about Caemlyn being lost. I know Avi had already gone to the Wise Ones, so I'll let her off the hook a little bit.

Still, I think both POVs could have been added into the prologue with little effort and about 6-10 more pages less some of the silliness. In a book where we heard so much good stuff had to be left out, the inclusion of so much flotsam and jetsam, already, is disturbing.

EDIT: Not that RJ didn't include a lot that many deemed unnecessary, but it always added richness and detail. This was just added inanity. Avi sneaking? What is the point? She'd been with Elayne for months in Caemlyn, all the guards knew her, no chance she gets turned away?

Crap, here I was trying not to be too critical (and my initial reaction wasn't that bad), but the more I think about it, the worse it gets. RJ's better stuff, I can read over and over and enjoy, some of this, though...

Last edited by The Angry Druid; 10-25-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Elder

Landro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really nice

Audiobooks aren't really my thing. I hope I'll enjoy the written version better.

On the topic of Brandon being good/bad at writing the books. I'd like to say the following: Who else could have finished the series? Who could/would have set aside his/her own works for the thankless job of finishing another author's series? GRRM? not likely given that his own fans are already complaining about the delays his side projects take.

I almost forgot to brag about predicting the double bond more than a year ago

Last edited by Landro; 10-29-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Elder

kivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landro View Post
On the topic of Brandon being good/bad at writing the books. I'd like to say the following: Who else could have finished the series? Who could/would have set aside his/her own works for the thankless job of finishing another author's series? GRRM? not likely given that his own fans are already complaining about the delays his side projects take.
People lose sight of this when they compare Sanderson to Jordan. Jordan finishing the series was sadly not an option. Sanderson needs to be compared to the realistic alternatives, which include the types of authors who write Star Wars and Star Trek books as these are folks who write in other people's series. Another realistic option is the series is never finished.

I believe he has done as good a job as anyone could reasonably expect if not better given the circumstances.

"Who are you to ask for a meeting with the High Lady?" Falendre demanded. She emphasized the title for some reason.

"My name is Rand al'Thor. I'm the Dragon Reborn." If they had wept at hearing Semirhage's name, they wailed at hearing his.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default "The Chosen One"

Quote:
Audiobooks aren't really my thing. I hope I'll enjoy the written version better.
Indeed.

Quote:
On the topic of Brandon being good/bad at writing the books. I'd like to say the following: Who else could have finished the series?
Simply put, Harriet choose the wrong writer to finish her husband's epic work.

Brandon Sanderson didn't get it five years ago. Let alone now even. Brandon Sanderson didn't understand how World of Time was structured, then.
Brandon Sanderson and Team Jordan never did create a WoT metaphor index. This is one reason why TGS, ToM and AMoL books have been generally off overall--Character Voices, Imagery, Tone. (How do I know this? A Peter Ahstrom tweet months ago, to my twitter handle @TinkerPride.)

Quote:
Who could/would have set aside his/her own works for the thankless job of finishing another author's series?
Thankless job?

What relatively new author wouldn't jump at the chance to receive a good contract? Let alone a fan base of millions readers?

No writing Wheel of Time books is a path to fame and riches. "The Chosen One" has done this very thing.

Unfortunately "The Chosen One" writes fan fiction. "The Chosen One" writes in Plain Chant.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 10-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Youngling

Tsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to allTsofu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax View Post
Unfortunately "The Chosen One" writes fan fiction. "The Chosen One" writes in Plain Chant.
AMEN to this sentiment! Thank you, FelixPax, for stating it so succinctly.

Tsofu

Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
Old 10-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Nah, RJ wrote in Plain Chant. Brandon writes in Common.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Brandon Sanderson didn't understand how World of Time was structured, then.
this is priceless coming from you.

I love the snarkiness and slams on Brandon...any lame theory, drivel, nonsense can be explained away later as BRANDON DIDN'T GET IT and I am right, this is wrong, omg what a travesty...and on and on and on.

Whatever. If you all hate it so much, maybe we need a separate forum for folks who just want to bitch about the writing. Or, you could just not bother reading anymore. This is getting tiresome HERE.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 10-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

yeah, it does seem that the new hype is criticising Brandon

I do agree with some or even most of it, but still....
It's kind of weird that all the free stuff we got has such a bad response and make people more worried about aMoL.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Veiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Nah, RJ wrote in Plain Chant. Brandon writes in Common.
Chuckles, you have a sharp point. Common.

At times "The Chosen One" can dive into in Plain Chant. Where? See AMoL Prologue. Why? It's veiled.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
this is priceless coming from you.

I love the snarkiness and slams on Brandon...any lame theory, drivel, nonsense can be explained away later as BRANDON DIDN'T GET IT and I am right, this is wrong, omg what a travesty...and on and on and on.

Whatever. If you all hate it so much, maybe we need a separate forum for folks who just want to bitch about the writing. Or, you could just not bother reading anymore. This is getting tiresome HERE.
Likewise, you could stop reading this thread if it bothers you. Sometimes people need to vent.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Elder

Default A poet's toolbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
yeah, it does seem that the new hype is criticising Brandon
New?

Disagree. I've noted numerous problems with "The Chosen One" writings for WoT. Its just been a sad experience to read WoT, the past five years.

"The Chosen One" is not a peer of Robert Jordan's quality. Wish it was different, but its the truth.
He lacks a poet's apt use of language.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isa bitched about Brandon before it was cool.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold

Felix: I do consider it a hype now. The critisism is still valid, but there is much more now that after TGS came out.

I am not talking about individual complaints, but looking at the reactions on different forum now its like a hype, everyone is doing it.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Isa bitched about Brandon before it was cool.
I don't think i was that vocal about it or even posted much about it. I did mention stuff I didn't like. I still think Brandon does his best.

However, I think there were others who really bitched about it before it was cool.
I think Dom was one of them.

And I do think there was some critisism about the timeline after TGS.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Sanderson has the problem that he has to continue the work of another writer. Usually, at best, that results in a book that seems written by a committee (see the Dune sequels, for instance). In this case, it is still quite good, but, admittedly, not of the same consistent quality that RJ on his own managed to achieve.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
When a person sees a series they have enjoyed for 20 plus years reduced in quality. Its bothersome, especially when a person "knows" they could have done much better.

Robert Jordan once had a similar feeling to other authors prior works, before becoming an bestselling author. It's not an unique observation.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
When a person sees a series they have enjoyed for 20 plus years reduced in quality. Its bothersome, especially when a person "knows" they could have done much better.

Robert Jordan once had a similar feeling to other authors prior works, before becoming an bestselling author. It's not an unique observation.
No it is not unique. But it is boring at this point and...has nothing to do with the actual story being discussed. Points of fact being argued as to whether a dual bond is accurate is on topic, and interesting. Comments that Brandon is the "wrong choice" are pointless here after the first 10. And there are those *ahem* who will use this as a pitiful excuse to say their ideas are accurate and the writer is wrong.

More power to you though. Ultimately, it is all just entertainment.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Closed Thread