art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > Brandon Sanderson
User Name
Password

Old 02-07-2018, 01:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

I added the spoilers tag to the thread title. I suppose it's been long enough to stop with the spoiler tags.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I finished the book a couple days ago so you can get rid of all spoiler tags.

on the sense of humor thing, I found Shallan's "sense of humor" to be quite tedious at times. I mean, the number of jokes could have been cut down by 50% and I'd have been fine with it.

My other thoughts are that it was too long and that he needs a better editor to cut down on that issue he's seemingly having with this series. Parts of it were honestly a bit of a slog to read through. The thing that scares me there is that one of his drafts was a good 65,000 words longer than this final one. So this is him "being efficient".

I'll also add in my agreement with the "names of things that are unpronounceable" got annoying too. Also, who am I supposed to be hoping wins here? Its interesting to see BS go all shades of gray on us but I wonder what his long term plan is with it all.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
My other thoughts are that it was too long and that he needs a better editor to cut down on that issue he's seemingly having with this series. Parts of it were honestly a bit of a slog to read through. The thing that scares me there is that one of his drafts was a good 65,000 words longer than this final one. So this is him "being efficient".
For me this was most apparent in the battle at Thaylen City. It was a cool battle, but it just got way too long. This feeling was compounded, IMO, by the POV shifts. After a while, it felt like nothing was progressing.

I understand that you have all the main characters (plus a bunch more) at the same place and time, so this is an epic moment. I just think the whole thing would have been better served by paring it down to the three mains and maybe a tiny bit from Szeth or Lift.

Quote:
Also, who am I supposed to be hoping wins here? Its interesting to see BS go all shades of gray on us but I wonder what his long term plan is with it all.
We're only 30% through, right (is it still planned for 10 books)? I have a feeling the next book or two are going to be more about politics and relationships. That may be OK, but it could get very boring...especially if the editing is still lacking.

On a different note, did anyone else get worried that Adolin was going to get killed? So many of the other characters were heaping praise on him in their POVs that it seemed like a build up. He was also suffering from feelings of inadequacy, which suggested that his character was losing plot-relevancy.

I figured BS would resolve Shallan's/Veil's ambivalence the hard way and let him go out as a martyr.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one that had the occasional flashback to "Egwene the girl" and "Egwene the Amyrlin" with the Shallan/Veil/Radiant thing Brandon did?

He at least did it a little better here but 600 pages (roughly) of that got old eventually.

The most interesting part of the book for me was Dalinor's backstory.

The least interesting was the "lets set up this meeting for several hundred pages" present day Dalinor story.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 02-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
The most interesting part of the book for me was Dalinor's backstory.
Agree, and I suspect that the next novel will eventually do the same for Jasnah. I thought he also did a good job of explaining the anger and thirst for revenge by Odium (who seemed very reminiscent of the Old Testament Yahweh, but jilted even more so than say in not being welcomed in friendly enough fashion at Sodom and Gomorrah). But this did also help to explain Nale's quandary.

Quote:
Also, who am I supposed to be hoping wins here? Its interesting to see BS go all shades of gray on us but I wonder what his long term plan is with it all.
Seems like he is trying to make clear that often in war both sides are both the good guys and the bad guys simultaneously. That often that sense of good and evil is just the convenient and expedient lie that each sides sells so as to convince itself and its populace that their actions are justified, that the enemy must be killed, or even enslaved. I think he is pushing the narrative towards, if not quite reconciliation, at least accommodation, rather than outright victory for either side. Whether such is possible for the jilted god, Odium, is a very much open question, but I expect that at least perhaps the ancient, quasi-immortal Fused will finally accept death and release their undying hatred.

Last edited by Kimon; 02-12-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 AM
Ancient

Oatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really nice

Quote:
We're only 30% through, right (is it still planned for 10 books)?
From what I've read, 10 books total, made up of two 5 book arcs, with a significant time gap in between. I would expect some type of time buying resolution at the conclusion of book 5.

Quote:
Agree, and I suspect that the next novel will eventually do the same for Jasnah.
From what I understand the next books flashback character is Eshonai, followed by Szeth. Jasnah and Renarin will have flashbacks in the back 5.

"From the Oatman Prophecies."

Writer of the Breakfast Prophecies for the Lord of the Morning

RS is an idiot.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

BS definitely needs an editor to really pare these books down, that's for sure. I mostly enjoyed this book but it was a bit of a hassle of a read. I also think BS is better suited to more intimate battle scenes rather than the grand ones, or maybe he was just a little too ambitious with the end of this one. I think back to the end of the first Mistborn book, with Kelsiers fight against an Inquisitor and subsequent death to the Lord Ruler, that was phenomenal.

It also might not help that I am not connecting with the character of Lift at all, so when the POV switched to her it just produced a groan from me.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the last battle was way too big. Too long, too disjointed, too many POV's; just too much. I was only somewhere in the middle when I thought "c'mon, is it going to end soon?"

Big epic mass battles simply aren't BS's strong suit. He was helped quite a bit in aMoL by Bernard Cornwell's input - it really does help the reader to picture the terrain, the actual distances, obstacles etc., and deployment of all troops and in turn who of the main characters is where. Also, keeping a single POV can help with conveying just how overwhelming and huge the battle is. This was seriously lacking in the Thaylen battle.

I didn't mind at all the Shallan jokes. Then again, I tend to enjoy BS's humour in general; so that's definitely a matter of taste.

Other than that one big battle I honestly never had a struggle moment in the book, it just flew by...

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

I think my problem is I simply don't like Szeth as a character either so those chapters sucked for me.

And all the mopiness from ALL of them got old too. I get that that is the way they become Radiants by being broken but it gets to be dragging eventually.

I agree completely on the last battle being a mess from a narrative standpoint.

I'm honestly not really looking forward to the Eshonai and Szeth back stories in the next couple books.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

I'm interested in Eshonais, simply to have more info on the Parshendi and what they were up to before Way of Kings. I'm not excited for Szeths because I'm not sure what more I can learn about him that will really make a difference about how I feel.

I think Jasnah should have been in the first five for her flashback book, she's easily one of the most compelling characters and we know so little about her and how she knows what she knows.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
I'm interested in Eshonais, simply to have more info on the Parshendi and what they were up to before Way of Kings. I'm not excited for Szeths because I'm not sure what more I can learn about him that will really make a difference about how I feel.
At the least, we should get a lot more about Shinovar, which is ostensibly more interesting since we know it's where the humans landed. I'm guessing there's a secret of some sort that will inform rest of the plot. Plus, aren't the rest of the Honorblades in Shinovar? Or am I just making that up?
Old 02-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
At the least, we should get a lot more about Shinovar, which is ostensibly more interesting since we know it's where the humans landed. I'm guessing there's a secret of some sort that will inform rest of the plot. Plus, aren't the rest of the Honorblades in Shinovar? Or am I just making that up?
Yup, I believe they have the rest of them or a huge chunk of them at least.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
If the end of Oathbringer is any clue, Shinovar was probably offered to the refugee humans as a sort of a sanctuary on the condition that they not set foot on stone = rest of Roshar. It'll be interesting to see that part of the humans to Roshar origin story. By some snippets from Szeth, I'm guessing he was pretty high ranking in the Shin society, so would probably have very good insights into this.

I quite like Szeth. He reminds me of some posters here (and elsewhere on The Internetz) who like to take their point to the absolute extreme and then defend it until they die. Also reminds me of the White Ajah with the cold rigidity of following the logical concsequences, no matter what, of an oath, a law, a principle.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill